NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Wesley

Okay, I really will build a PC this time.

Don't get me wrong, I love Vista, but I don't see why they should use half my ram when no on-screen applications are running, when Ubuntu can manage on several hundreds MB less, and not touching the swap partition ever. But you're probably right.

The reasoning is simple: unused RAM is a waste of money.

It's nice to see that only 500MB of your 2GB of RAM is being used, but im sure most people would rather have a system that runs smoother.

The reasoning is simple: unused RAM is a waste of money.

It's nice to see that only 500MB of your 2GB of RAM is being used, but im sure most people would rather have a system that runs smoother.

It's nonsense, as Ubuntu runs way smoother and responsive than Vista has ever done. With all eyecandy turned on, and a music player, disc burner, internet browser playing Youtube, and a chat program, it runs in under 800 MB, and the swap partition isn't touched.

I don't mean to sound like a Linux fag (I'm not, just running it as I screwed my laptop attempting to install Mac OS X, long story), but seriously, Microsoft could learn from this.

Unused RAM should be saved for when you really need it, not so you could use it just because.

It's nonsense, as Ubuntu runs way smoother and responsive than Vista has ever done. With all eyecandy turned on, and a music player, disc burner, internet browser playing Youtube, and a chat program, it runs in under 800 MB, and the swap partition isn't touched.

I don't mean to sound like a Linux fag (I'm not, just running it as I screwed my laptop attempting to install Mac OS X, long story), but seriously, Microsoft could learn from this.

Unused RAM should be saved for when you really need it, not so you could use it just because.

Linux is definitely better in that respect, but that is pretty much to be expected. Linux isn't as heavy or as complex as Windows, it doesn't need to be.

I still fail to see the logic in saving RAM for when it's needed when it could be put to use instead. If the OS is constantly scaling itself depending on how much RAM is needed by other applications then you can use up most of the RAM without ever encountering a bottle-neck.

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking the topic! Anyhow, cases....

The reasons for getting a good case are simple:

1. A good case can make building the computer a lot easier. Tool-less drive bays, removable motherboard trays and other nifty features make your life a lot easier.

2. The case is there to house your components. Obviously keeping hot things in a box is a very, very stupid idea, so you need a case with good airflow to keep your components cool

3. Noise. Some cases will help cut down on the noise your computer makes. This is usually by using big, slow running fans and rubber feet on the underside of the case. Particularly quiet cases also tend to have sound damping foam glued to the interior walls and rubber grommets in the hard drive bays (to dampen the hard drive noise.

4. They look good.

I have this one: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/118268

If you like gaming cases then it's great. Personally i wouldn't buy it again, it's nice and all but i hate the fact that the lights can't be switched off and i've gone off the idea of having a side window (it just shows off the messy cables inside).

Antec also do the P180/P182, both part of the same series and they are brilliant cases (if a little expensive). Sturdily built, near silent with good airflow (very important, good airflow = cool components).

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=604059

Other than that there's NZXT and Thermaltake if you like stuff that looks a bit fancy, Silverstone if you want something well designed and wel built and Coolermaster for something in between.

NZXT: http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?strSearch=&bolShowAll=true&intStoreID=2&intCatID=23&intMfrID=847&bolShowAll=true

Thermaltake: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?CatID=7&Category=Cases&ThumbNails=Yes&FilterKeywords=&FilterMinPrice=&FilterMaxPrice=&FilterManufacturers=104&OrderBy=1

Silverstone: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?CatID=7&Category=Cases&ThumbNails=Yes&FilterKeywords=&FilterMinPrice=&FilterMaxPrice=&FilterManufacturers=242&OrderBy=1

Coolermater: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?CatID=7&Category=Cases&ThumbNails=Yes&FilterKeywords=&FilterMinPrice=&FilterMaxPrice=&FilterManufacturers=105&OrderBy=1

If it was my money i'd buy a Silverstone. Expensive, but the build quality is superb!

Power supplies, buy from a well known brand and don't skimp on them. 600W for £30 might sound like a good idea, but if your PSU goes BOOM! then it usually kills everything else in your computer. Overspending is usually a good idea, simply for the peace of mind!

Look at Antec, Corsair, Seasonic and OCZ :)

And one last niggle, if you are going to be doing lots of graphics work then you probably want a monitor with an S-IPS panel, they produce far more accurate colours. Most monitors are TN panels, if not then they will say so in the discription (they usually shout about it because it's a big and expensive feature to have). GCTonyHawk7 can probably give you more help on the monitors front than me though, his set-up is pretty awesome!

Linux isn't as heavy or as complex as Windows, it doesn't need to be.
What? Linux isn't any less capable than Windows, and it isn't any less complex... For technical reasons I won't delve into, it's probably more complex than any Windows OS. It's not as heavy, sure, but that comes from better design if anything.
I still fail to see the logic in saving RAM for when it's needed when it could be put to use instead. If the OS is constantly scaling itself depending on how much RAM is needed by other applications then you can use up most of the RAM without ever encountering a bottle-neck.
I don't mind Vista scaling to improve performance, but I fail to see why they're able to scale to that size in the first place, when there's barely anything running.

Superfetch catches programs you use frequently so they start up faster. That's where its going, if active programs need more RAM it instantly frees up that space.

Okay, I've narrowed it down to http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=604059 or http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=378734

I really like the second one, but it is a Micro ATX, and the motherboard is ATX. So... no point in changing motherboard just for the case. So I'll be going for the one you recommended.

How about this for the PSU then?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514

And I really like the monitor I've picked and it's price just went down.. so I'll be sticking with it. :D

I've really always loved that Antec case you've posted up. Looks nice and smart. I'd definitely go with it.

Also that power supply is great, I've got the 520W one, which is plenty for a quad core, a few HD's and a 8800GT.

Weirdly enough, the 650W is cheaper than the 520W, so get it for sure.

Forget all that linux and OS bullshit the 'experts' are chatting about. Go with either Windows XP, or Vista 64................if you're using Vista though, make sure you turn off Aero, as it conflicts with Max's UI.

Thumbs up on the PSU, i have the 520W one :)

How about this case?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=318079

It's pretty similar to the mATX one. You'd be struggling to get SLi or Crossfire on an mATX motherboard, which is a shame really because that's the only feature you'd have to drop. Alternatively, have a gander here to see if there's an ATX version of that case:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/

The corsair PSU's are just rebranded seasonic's so you can't go wrong there.

Then it's all settled. I did like the case you posted McPhee... but not quite as much as the Antec one. I think it's the mesh I liked so much on the other one. I know, I'm picky. So.. time to order! : peace:

Thank to all of you guys for your help! :bowdown: I'll update the thread with any more info about it.

Then it's all settled. I did like the case you posted McPhee... but not quite as much as the Antec one. I think it's the mesh I liked so much on the other one. I know, I'm picky. So.. time to order! : peace:

Thank to all of you guys for your help! :bowdown: I'll update the thread with any more info about it.

Very good choice in the Antec one, i just figured i'd post an alternative.

Anyhow, hope the build goes well :) Should be a good rig!

Forget all that linux and OS bullshit the 'experts' are chatting about. Go with either Windows XP, or Vista 64................if you're using Vista though, make sure you turn off Aero, as it conflicts with Max's UI.
Different discussion. Windows Vista owns, and you should definitely use it.

Good hardware choices. Be sure to never cheap out :)

Am I okay to remove the bottom fan in the Antec P182 case? The PSU won't fit otherwise and I've heard it's fine removing it.

I took the fan out. The cage doesn't fit properly over the PSU and it bows a little, I can screw the cage in through but the PSU screw holes doesn't align with the back of the case. I'll just leave them.

Someone tell me if I'm going to blow it up though if I've done it wrong. First time I've built a PC.

Okay, I didn't realise I got some screws with wide backs on with the case, I can fasten it on the back. ;)

You'll be fine taking the fan out.

TBH most of the time if you remove a necessary fan then the computer just won't boot. Everything should shut down long before it damages itself from overheating.

I think I may be able to squeeze it in now the PSU is in and cables are out the way. But apparently tests have shown the bottom fan doesn't change the temp much.

By the way, the case has front microphone and headphone ports, the sound card which came with the the P5N32-E doesn't have an extra audio port. As it is now I'm not too fussed. But how much does a decent sound card with the extra port cost?

Okay, the P5N32-E motherboard manual says I can either use a 4 pin ATX12V or an 8 pin ESP+12V connector. But... my PSU has an 8 pin ESP+12V with a detachable 4 pin, making it then a 4 pin ATX12V... so, I can use either. Great, but which one should I use?

Okay, I connected everything, including monitor, keyboard and mouse. When I start up I get one long continuous beep. What do you think I should do? I'm about to open it up and check connections, remove RAM and GFX card and put them back in. See if that helps.

I wanna try and not mess around with the CPU yet though.

Try putting the RAM in different slots. If that doesn't work try putting one stick of ram in each slot and see if any configuration boots.

I reconnected everything again and it worked. Everything is good!

Thanks ever so much for all your help again guys!

Sign in to follow this