N-Europe

Euro 2008: Who Will You Support?

Daft

Are you expecting much? Portugal didn't beat the Czechs and the Swiss as a team performance, but pretty much on individual quality. Hardly any influence of the manager there.

First of all we didn't beat the Swiss :P

Second I completly disagree, although I'm not very informed on football, the players discipline and the fact that they kept their cool in the first game and the complete turn around in the 2nd part of today's game showed a big influence from Scolari.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand much of football, either, but what I heard was that Scolari isn't so much about tactics and the like. He is more about pep-talking and giving players the right mindset.

From everything I've seen, that seems true. Some players are more confident than before, and others seem more focused than before.

(No one I know ever mentions Scolari's tactics, and I never notice that, so I can't verify that part. :heh:)

Bleh. The Turks. Big difference :heh:
Second I completly disagree, although I'm not very informed on football, the players discipline and the fact that they kept their cool in the first game and the complete turn around in the 2nd part of today's game showed a big influence from Scolari.
Did I miss something ?

From everything I've seen, that seems true. Some players are more confident than before, and others seem more focused than before.

(No one I know ever mentions Scolari's tactics, and I never notice that, so I can't verify that part. :heh:)

While not exactly groundbreaking Scolari has Portugal set up to play decent football. He doesn't really alter it on a match by match basis but then Portugal are good enough that he doesnt need to (The same would be true of Chelsea). Chelsea also have the players to pretty much fit into the current Portuguese formation.

I quite like Big Phil and am interested to see how he does at Chelsea.

Yeah, Deco and Pepe were even mimicking his accent, big influence from don corleoni coach.

I hope to get some laughs from his engrish on chelsea.

Scolaris main job is to make it clear to everyone of his superstars that this is a national team and it is about team work and fitting into a different set of roles. It is not a league game where you are the only star that shines.

Was a rough match against the Czech team but I guess Portugal was the better team and won (which doesn't happen always in football).

Now everyone lets hope Austria beats Poland and Germany ;)

Well I picked Germany out of 'the hat' in a sweep stake at work so if they win I get £16 or if they come 2nd I get £10 so I have a slight vested interst in them winning but really Im just enjoying the games but its fuinny because you know ive enjoyed watching Holland most of all.

Glad (but very surprised) that Croatia beat Germany. I'm not a fan of the Germans (not because of English/German rivalry but the actual team itself). I just don't like the team for some reason. I think their football is boring. Its like watching Chelsea in the league IMO.

Damn ... 3 100% chances for Austria and still Poland leads because of an obvious offside goal.

Thanks to the referee team from England who was watching it and obviously sleeping...

Goal was nowhere near offside dude :) Saw the replay like eighteen times... Much like any replay nowadays, the directors seem to be slapping their audience in the face with'm.

EDIT: Just saw the noon-edition of news, and they showed the goal from a different perspective, and it does seem offside. My bad :)

You have to agree that that penalty was a bit much, really. Loved the way how Beenhakker said afterwards that the referee was obviously some kind of egotripper (dunno if that word actually exists in English, sounded English-y enough for me to quote it as he said it).

On a side note, Poland can now only reach the quarter finals if Germany loses and they win from Croatia, right? Because then, the ranking on the UEFA-list would count, in which Poland stands above Austria, right? Good god, I don't want the Germans in for the rest of the tourney...

Italy are killing me. Not sure who to support in France v Holland... probably be best of Holland can win it and keep France from getting any points. Its gonna be deadly but whatever happens, it better work out for the greater good of getting Italy into the knock-outs.

Holland to win Euro's man....Robben, Van Der Vaart, Sniejder, Ruud, Van Persie and even Kuyt, fuckin insane! They are mega fast in the break! French done well in the second half but Holland too good!

Henry still is a wanker!