NEurope
Coolness Bears

Musical Instruments

When I was younger I played some musical instruments. :)

I tried out the piano but did not lessons (as it would suck out the fun of playing). I also tried out the Violin but couldn't even hold the stupid thing. >__<

I eventually settled for a Trumpet and managed to get my Grade 3 before giving up. When I tried to reach the top notes I felt really faint each time and had to sit down for awhile afterwards, same goes with the flute which I tried for about a month! :)

I wish I could play the Piano and the guitar at some point in my life I may get some piano lesssons so I can actually play music on my keyboard rather than hitting random notes. :p

I was wandering what musical instruments do you play/did you play?

and whether there are any you would like to try out/or wish you could play? :D

I play piano, guitar and Korean percussion. I used to play the double Base.

I wish I'd started them all when I was a lot younger.

I also always wanted to play the flute...it just seemed cool. Also saxophone.

Used to play the Violin, did for a couple of years. No clue if I still can.

Used to play the Violin, did for a couple of years. No clue if I still can.

I think I still have my trumpet in the loft. I tried it a few months ago I could not get a note out of it!

I play piano, guitar and Korean percussion. I used to play the double Base.

I wish I'd started them all when I was a lot younger.

I also always wanted to play the flute...it just seemed cool. Also saxophone.

That's what I thought about the Flute but only if you can play it! It was a too confusing instrument for me to play lots of buttons. @___@

I also accidently whacked it against the wall while practising and bent it...

Which didn't help! :D

I play the keyboard and I really want to learn to play guitar (wished I did when I was younger, lol)

I used to play the recorder a loooong time ago (classic school instrument really) and I bet a few others did too :wink:. These days I settle for attempting to play guitar, and a bit of bass, though im not too good. Wish id started earlier too.

Would have loved to have played drums, but I dont have room for a kit. Maybe one day : peace:

I played acoustic guitar (and a lot of classical stuff) since I was about 8, then when I was about 10-11 I started playing bass as well. So now I mainly play bass and also try to fiddle around on acoustic as much as possible, which is difficult as I don't have my acoustic at uni, only my bass.

I unfortunately never pursued actively the learning of any instrument, no that pains me as I would love to play the guitar or piano, but I can't make a commitment. I have a Stratocaster and sometimes I picked it up, I'm gonna see if this summer I can start playing at least just a bit.

Lol, you all say "I wish I'd started younger" as if you're on your deathbed. I started guitar at 14, which is quite late but I picked it up quite well, and I actually had difficulty since I pick with my right hand, but I'm a left handed writer, so the muscle coordination wasn't there to begin with. The key is to be into it. I used to practice a good 4 or 5 hours a day for the first two years, and I pick my guitar up every day to play around with riffs and write music. It's really one of the best things I've ever decided to do.

I've also got a potato ocarina which I like to play around with.

I'm going to learn piano and hopefully a percussion instrument when I get out of uni = ). Learning a musical instrument gives you a better understanding of the music you listen to, so I firmly believe that any serious music fan should at least pick an instrument and stick with it.

I play the guitar. I got my first electric when i was 12 and because i had both the computer and amp in my room, whenever i was on the computer i'd pick up the guitar and alternate between playing guitar and the pc. From there i've just gained techniques pretty naturally (self taught)

I played drums for a few years, but then had to give up...I wish I got back into it when I could. I might try and self-teach myself now, as my sister has a drum kit now I can use.

Played piano for like 2 years. I was never very good, as my hand-eye coordination is a bit shit. It's my favourite instrument to listen to though, I think.

Lol, you all say "I wish I'd started younger" as if you're on your deathbed. I started guitar at 14, which is quite late but I picked it up quite well, and I actually had difficulty since I pick with my right hand, but I'm a left handed writer, so the muscle coordination wasn't there to begin with. The key is to be into it. I used to practice a good 4 or 5 hours a day for the first two years, and I pick my guitar up every day to play around with riffs and write music. It's really one of the best things I've ever decided to do.

Bingo. It's never too late, lazy bums!

I'm going to learn piano and hopefully a percussion instrument when I get out of uni = ). Learning a musical instrument gives you a better understanding of the music you listen to, so I firmly believe that any serious music fan should at least pick an instrument and stick with it.

I highly disagree with this, loving music doesn't require an understanding, in fact in most cases it just turns people into elitists who only like (or pretend/force themselves to like) things that are hard to play, which I don't really care, it's their problem honestly. I think it's obvious where I'm getting at really :P

Bingo. It's never too late, lazy bums!

Is that why you're waiting until your 70 to learn how to play guitar? :P You know what would be nice? If we would learn together this summer.

If you are 170 years and have arthritis and Alzheimer it might be a little late.

At least in my case I'm not saying it's too late, just that starting early helps, because when you're older and have a lot of other habits and interests it might be harder to pick up.

Is that why you're waiting until your 70 to learn how to play guitar? :P You know what would be nice? If we would learn together this summer.

If you are 170 years and have arthritis and Alzheimer it might be a little late.

At least in my case I'm not saying it's too late, just that starting early helps, because when you're older and have a lot of other habits and interests it might be harder to pick up.

You never whined about "I wish I had started when I was a kid", that wasn't directed at you. :D And anywho, I don't really feel that excited about learning how to play the guitar anymore. I was never really that much into guitar, I'm a bass man! Or a musical saw man. Or a drum man. Ahh fuck it, I'll probably never learn to play anything at all, so... :heh:

I highly disagree with this, loving music doesn't require an understanding, in fact in most cases it just turns people into elitists who only like (or pretend/force themselves to like) things that are hard to play, which I don't really care, it's their problem honestly. I think it's obvious where I'm getting at really :P

Of course, you're saying that without having learned an instrument, so I win by default since I have experience of both sides. Go me. Why don't you start playing and see for yourself? ;)

That's the same problem I had when learning guitar. It took me a fair while to get used to it, but I got used to it and steadily became better. Although I was rather shit during my school years.

(It's no surprise I got an E for Music GCSE. My sub-standard guitar skill, plus shitty guitar and shitty amp meant low marks for me! I got much better after I'd left school, because I had more time to practise.)

Of course, you're saying that without having learned an instrument, so I win by default since I have experience of both sides. Go me. Why don't you start playing and see for yourself? ;)

lol of course. And I already started playing I just never endured and hardly learned anything :P.

I can see for other people, i.e you, what happens when you think you can only truly apretiate music if you understand what's behind it.

Speaking of guitars, what guitars/ amps do you have?

Is this aimed at everyone?

I have a crappy Epiphone SG-310 as my guitar, although i have the money to buy a new one. I'm looking at the Ibanez RG 550's on Ebay as they have everything i want (wizard neck, decent trem, 24 frets) but for cheaper.

My amp is a Roland cube 60, which i am quite happy with.

Speaking of guitars, what guitars/ amps do you have?

The guitar is a Yamaha Pacifica, and the amp is a Marshall MG10CD.

I couldn't use them for Music though, as they're my brother's, so I had to make do with the instruments at school. Although the guitars were also Pacifica's, they were very poorly looked after and the amps were ancient behemoths that I just couldn't get to work. :nono:

lol of course. And I already started playing I just never endured and hardly learned anything :P.

I can see for other people, i.e you, what happens when you think you can only truly apretiate music if you understand what's behind it.

Well, not appreciate, I'm sure you have a great appreciation. I just like to hear something an understand what's going on behind it is all. Maybe other people don't like to look at music so holistically, but wanting to grow as a musician got me interested in music that I would never have listened to otherwise. I think more than anything, playing an instrument acts as an impetus to look into what makes the music what it is, and helps in being able to articulate that, rather than just listening to something as background sound and saying "that's good" or "that's bad." Hell, I'm not even saying that I'm good at that myself, I don't know theory, but I like to try.

Is this aimed at everyone?

I have a crappy Epiphone SG-310 as my guitar, although i have the money to buy a new one. I'm looking at the Ibanez RG 550's on Ebay as they have everything i want (wizard neck, decent trem, 24 frets) but for cheaper.

My amp is a Roland cube 60, which i am quite happy with.

I wouldn't go for an Ibanez tbh, the necks are fast, but the instruments aren't very versatile. And I have an innate loathing of Floyd Rose (which is what Ibanez do best). Have you checked out the PRS student editions? Roland Cubes are fantastic amps.

Also: Yamaha Pacifica's are good starter amps, but I tend to go for dual humbuckers. Much thicker sound.

I'll post my guitar pics later