NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 '09

Really is a poor effort!

My love for F1 means I havn't totally gone off this game, but I think I'll probably just wait for the 2010 HD version for ultimate experience!

Really is a poor effort!

My love for F1 means I havn't totally gone off this game, but I think I'll probably just wait for the 2010 HD version for ultimate experience!

Agreed, so disappointing. Looks like Dirt 2 on Wii and will probably play like it too. I think it's time to accept that if people want to play die-hard racers they will need a 360 or PS3 which really is a shame...

I have to agree on the poor effort. The early F1 games from last generation, we're talking 2000/2001/2002, look better than this. It's clearly come down to the sharing of assets between the versions of the game and the developers being to lazy to cater to the specific consoles' specifications. Having played Dirt 2, there's very little chance that this will be of any decent quality. But no doubt I'll have to play it at some point in the coming weeks.

Really is a poor effort!

I am not expecting much for the HD one either. Will probably be like GRID/Dirt. Kind of sucky end of the year for racers this year.

Actually I think the HD version will deliver, it's still got many months of development to go, and they've set up a specific website/forum to find out exactly what people want included.

The gameplay for the Wii version sounds pretty impressive (whether or not it's realised is another matter), but the HD version should step up the gameplay options even more.

Plus it should look amazing (given Codemasters other HD racers)... which is a huge draw because an F1 game needs to look awesome!

what? This looks miles and miles better than Dirt 2. Be thankful for what we're getting, apparently the controls are bliss.

I can't see the difference between this N64 game and the newer Wii one. Granted YT video isn't of a high fidelity, but I still can see the awful textures, static backdrops and rough framerates in this video and the two above from Retro.

For shame.

I am not expecting much for the HD one either. Will probably be like GRID/Dirt. Kind of sucky end of the year for racers this year.

Oh c'mon Dirt 2 has great graphics and is a brilliant game. Clearly anything non-GT just doesn't cut it.

Oh c'mon Dirt 2 has great graphics and is a brilliant game. Clearly anything non-GT just doesn't cut it.

Will check out Dirt and Motorstorm PSP soon(rent). Shift was nice but buggy. Badly buggy later on but its good fun till Tier 3 which what i guess the reviewers played up to. Worth checking out and not a sim. GT PSP is well made but lacks modes and only 100 challenges. Forza 3 looks exactly like Forza 2, no real improvements. Supercars is boring, well the online only beta/demo.

When is Sega/Sonic racing out? Ryo is back. I think F1 will have issues if they go the arcade and sim route which seems popular nowadays.

Edited by Choze

Still unsure whether to buy this or not, think i'll wait for a review first.

I was really hoping this would be good.

I have to agree on the poor effort. The early F1 games from last generation, we're talking 2000/2001/2002, look better than this. It's clearly come down to the sharing of assets between the versions of the game and the developers being to lazy to cater to the specific consoles' specifications. Having played Dirt 2, there's very little chance that this will be of any decent quality. But no doubt I'll have to play it at some point in the coming weeks.

I think you'll find tight deadlines are the reason behind them reusing graphical assets, not them being lazy...

Seen bundles online and they are including a F1 style steering wheel. But with a game this disappointing I wonder if that should sway big F1 fans like myself, because it isn't for me.

Seen bundles online and they are including a F1 style steering wheel. But with a game this disappointing I wonder if that should sway big F1 fans like myself, because it isn't for me.
Well spotted!

10674649x.jpg

However it is £5 more than the Shopto price (that bundles from Play) and I'm not sure if I like the wheel or not!

Somehow though, despite everything being against it, I'm still slightly tempted! If only they could have done a better job!

I think you'll find tight deadlines are the reason behind them reusing graphical assets, not them being lazy...

Whatever way you look at it, the game looks like arse. There really is just no excuse for games looking like this. Far too many games on the Wii are graphically below par, and as a Wii owner, it does seem very insulting. We do not deserve "bad looking" games. As others have stated, there is very little difference graphically between this game and a game on the Nintendo64. That's just not on.

Meh!

As I said (or at least thought) before, you guys are expecting way too much. This isn't Forza 3. Hell, this isn't even GT3. Makes sense, because this is made by a way less talented team on a way tighter budget and schedule.

Be happy, gloomy guses.

This looks ABYSMAL. It's a dreadful effort by the team. Sure graphics aren't everything but when they detract from the experience then it's time to ask questions. This isn't 1998, and there really is no excuse.

On the other hand, was funny seeing Crofty and Anthony Davidson join the long list of 'look how much fun we're having' Wii-celebrity line-up.

As I said (or at least thought) before, you guys are expecting way too much. This isn't Forza 3. Hell, this isn't even GT3. Makes sense, because this is made by a way less talented team on a way tighter budget and schedule.

Be happy, gloomy guses.

This isn't even Wii standard Graphics, maybe not even Gamecube standard graphics, it's almost N64 graphics.

This isn't even Wii standard Graphics, maybe not even Gamecube standard graphics, it's almost N64 graphics.

Wii doesn't have a standard, and that's the problem right there.

Gamecube did, however, and this strikes me as being a Gamecube-game with motion controls. But by no means does it look like the N64 F1 games. Seriously. I know because I just checked. Compared to this, the N64 ones are like driving with giant pixels. And Michael Schumacher, of course.

But by no means does it look like the N64 F1 games. Seriously. I know because I just checked. Compared to this, the N64 ones are like driving with giant pixels. And Michael Schumacher, of course.
OK, two of these screens are from F1 World Grand Prix released on the DC back in 2000. The only reason you can tell the Wii screen is because of the night time setting and livery!

Same trees!!

bg17_640w.jpg

f1-2009-20090925110634957_640w.jpg

bg01_640w.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link