NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 '09

The only difference can see is that the Wii shot seems a little bit sharper, other than that. The same :(

OK, two of these screens are from F1 World Grand Prix released on the DC back in 2000. The only reason you can tell the Wii screen is because of the night time setting and livery!

Same trees!!

bg17_640w.jpg

f1-2009-20090925110634957_640w.jpg

bg01_640w.jpg

Holy Crap. F1 World Grand Prix wasnt even a ground up DC game it was an enhanced port from N64 and PS1.

Wii doesn't have a standard, and that's the problem right there.

Gamecube did, however, and this strikes me as being a Gamecube-game with motion controls. But by no means does it look like the N64 F1 games. Seriously. I know because I just checked. Compared to this, the N64 ones are like driving with giant pixels. And Michael Schumacher, of course.

Please to note, I said almost. certain aspects are N64 standard like as Retro link pointed out, the spray in wet conditions and trees.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Flying Lap of Monza with Anthony Davidson:

It's fascinating that everything else can look so bad, yet they seem to have gone to town on the lighting; incorporating real time shadows and reflective glare off the surface of the car.

And yet the wing mirrors aren't even reflective!!

That's gonna make the in car view pretty dissapointing, they'll be no reality in using them going into corners and instead you'll have to switch to a rear view camera meaning you wont be able to see your corner entry!! :nono:

The wheels don't align correctly with the steering if you understand me. The wheels look like their full lock, yet your going round a slight right hander :/

The wheels don't align correctly with the steering if you understand me. The wheels look like their full lock, yet your going round a slight right hander :/
Yeah the steering/wheels looks wierd.

You just had to notice that, didn't you :( That is so annoying. It's like the car's disconnected from the track, the wheels floating instead of getting feedback off of the tarmac... Oh boy.

My enthusiasm just went down a couple of gears.

You just had to notice that, didn't you :( That is so annoying. It's like the car's disconnected from the track, the wheels floating instead of getting feedback off of the tarmac... Oh boy.

My enthusiasm just went down a couple of gears.

So Codemaster screwed up Dirt 2 on the Wii and now it looks like this will be fail as well, Typical, Wii owners 'deseve' a good new driving game - lazy Codemasters >:(;)

^ The Wii versions of all these Codemasters games are being done by Codemasters themselves, but outsourced to some other crappy developer.

^ The Wii versions of all these Codemasters games are being done by Codemasters themselves, but outsourced to some other crappy developer.

I remember hereing that actually, Man I wish the F1 game was decient :(.

The Most Detailed Wii Racer Ever Created: Wii racing comes of age with F1 2009. A comprehensive recreation of the world's most spectacular motorsport, F1 2009 takes Wii racing games to a whole new level of immersion and authenticity.

This made me lol.

OK confirmed, this game is every kind of aweful!...

- LOL at Abu Dhabi, the developers didn't get the call about it being a Twilight race then! and what was with all the sandy areas?

- The perspective of the other cars around you looks terrible.

- NO crash damage... WTF!!!

- Judging by that strange 'Nitro' sound, I'm guessing all cars have KERS = Fail. I thought each team was going to get it own racing characteristics based on this season, but obviously stregths and weaknesses would balance out. I guess not.

I'll be keeping my cash!

OK confirmed, this game is every kind of aweful!...

The most baffling thing? You actually held out hope that it wouldn't be awful. :heh:

The most baffling thing? You actually held out hope that it wouldn't be awful. :heh:
Yeah I was still holding on to that bit of hope... such is my love of F1!

Why does Abu Dhabi look as though the developers have tried to create a desert oasis? I don't remember as many trees, or any for that matter, lining the track.

Doesn't look great, lets be honest. Collision detection looks to be minimally implemented as there was no loss of speed for hitting the other cars and the sound when hitting the other cars (basically 'bonk') is horrendous. I would personally need to play this with the sound muted as it'd get on my nerves and I used to play the old F1 games all the time. And I don't know about anyone else but I can see the blockiness of the tyres watching that video, which is in split screen and in a minimalist window. Imagine how blocky they'll look on a 32" tv. :nono:

IGN UK Review - 7.4

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/104/1046039p1.html

Seems a very generous score considering the many negatives, however they say they've nailed the racing aspect!

I guess at the end of the day that's what's important. I'm gonna keep an eye on this now.

Delicious handling and a palpable sense of speed combine to make a game that's unique on the Wii, and while there's a feeling of an opportunity missed with the licence, for fans of the sport deprived of an F1 game for so many years this does just enough to satiate the thirst.

Sounds alright to me. I still play F1 WGP on N64 and that have a similar graphical style ;)

Edited by Nicktendo

So did many people actually pick this up and have a go?

I've not played the Wii version but have played through a couple of seasons on the PSP game. I actually rather like it, it's in no way a full F1 simulation but it's a competent little game.

There's some very annoying parts, strangely placed lens flare, strange behaviour of the cars with certain driving aids and random penalties. But overall I actually quite like it. Until a more complete 2010 game comes out I'll be quite content with this.

I rented this last week, and played a fair bit. While I do really enjoy watching the F1, I'm not as much of a die-hard fan as I know a few people are, so however accurate certain representations of the sport are in this game is neither something I'd particularly notice or even care about.

As a racing game that's supposed to be fun and frenzied, it's... alright. It's certainly got the speed, and the extent to which you can tweak everything about your car will surely cater nicely to the aforementioned die-hards (although I don't know how much of a difference doing this makes). Controls take a while to get accustomed to, but that's not really a flaw in any game providing they're not genuinely broken, is it?

Complaints on this thread about the graphics seem baffling to me, because it was always a game that - so long as it has the speed - the graphics would be totally moot. And they are moot. Not once was I playing it and thought anything of the graphics either way. Too busy concentrating on the racing.

I was a little disappointed by the driver AI, but let's be frank - this is a video game. I doubt F1 2010 will have the drivers act as authentically human drivers do to the point where you can trust them not to crash into you...

In short summary, I came in with pretty moderate expectations to what is a moderately fun game. I can't quite put my finger on any major flaws, but neither can I say it's a great game by any means. I think the soulless AI is the main thing that stops it from feeling authentic. Having said that, I did keep coming back to play it. It felt particularly good nailing a track you've spent a good time getting used to.

I don't see myself buying it, but I recommend fans of the sport at least give it a go.

Holy Crap. F1 World Grand Prix wasnt even a ground up DC game it was an enhanced port from N64 and PS1.

Not true. I worked on it.