NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sparko

New Wii colours possible soon

Nintendo's hugely popular Wii console has entered the internal status of 'early warning' of a major American retail outlet, meaning the current stock-keeping unit will start being phased out within 90 days and will be replaced, shortly there after, by a newer SKU.

A trusted source with access to internal documents has given Neowin this exclusive story. It remains to be seen whether this development is due to new bundles being released or perhaps coloured versions of the Wii, but the current SKU will definitely begin to be removed from sales channels within 90 days.

We will report more on this story as new facts come to light.

Source: Neowin.net

Just noticed this update on my neowin RSS feed. Like it says, it might just mean the retailer they got the news from might just be introducing some new bundles, but it could also mean we'll start seeing some more colours. It's a bit late for me, I'm happy with the white one but thought it was worth mentioning.

90 days will be after E3,

Hard-drive bundle?

I'm not sure if we'll see new colours for Wii [think Nintendo have said a few times in the past that they're not really thinking of that right now for Wii], but maybe some games bundles will be announced.

OOooohh...

But it replaces the current SKU. Me thinks they're ditching the Wii Sports bundle.

what do you think the likelihood of removing wii sports and replacing it with wii fit??

WiiSports is a reason to buy a Wii for many consumers. I honestly can't see them ditching it... could this indicate a price drop though?

WiiSports is a reason to buy a Wii for many consumers. I honestly can't see them ditching it... could this indicate a price drop though?

But now days so is wii fit. Most people have played wii sports and is quite an old game now, but if the bundle wii fit at the same price, then i think it will be as strong seller as it was with wii sports.

They could drop wii sports and bundle nothing with it, which would in turn give the wii a price cut?

They wouldn't [and couldn't] drop Wii Sports for Wii Fit.

You need the balance board for Wii Fit and they aint about to give that away for nothing!

It would also be potentially the heaviest bundle in history!

I don't think they will ditch wii sports, it wont really be a commerical success (ala Japan) as millions of gamers have the game already and those copies are not re-saleable.

It could be a £20 game though and do well.

Strange decision if they do drop it. It's the perfect title to introduce the console but now enough people know about the console maybe it could spearhead a cheaper system. Like £150 - or even £120.

My guess: Flash memory has become so cheap so they have upgraded it from 512 MB to 16 GB. No change in price.

People with obsolete Wii can buy external 16 GB USB flash drive for £99.

They aren't about to change the hardware, the Wii is selling fine now.

If anything they'll change Wii Sports for Wii Music or Perhaps even Wii Play.

Perhaps they'll throw in a classic controller or something.

there's no reason at all for them to change the hardware or bundle... they sold 700,000 last MONTH in the states and beat the xbox and ps3 with even GTA on the shelves.

What reason is there to change? Sales are going UP, not down.

It could be something very simple like they refreshed the packaging or are bundling an extra game... it could even be a promotion at that particular chain

also.... this report only mentions one SKU... if there were going to be colours wouldn;t they have multiple SKu's?

Sign in to follow this