NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ultrajamie

Hang on: Wii is owning all, where are the games?

So, here's my thinking:

1: last month in america the wii outsold everything else combined (except DS).

2: Despite the launch of the most hype ps3 / xbox game ever (GTA) neither of them came close to wii

3: Wii sold more games, faster, than any other system in history (50 million in 18 months).

Despite ALL of that, it feels like publishers are still not putting their weight behind the format. Sure, Wii has some out and out classic games... but what gives? Capcom, for instance deem the format worth of a few ports albeit quality ones... and the release list a jam-packed with shovelware.

What's weird, though, is that big-game experiences are selling well on the format - Zelda has sold millions, so has Mario... So why are thirdparties effectively treating the Wii to the exact same dross that they piled on the gamecube?

At this stage in the PS2's life - by which I mean once the format was established as the clear sales-leader in the market - you couldn't more for quality games, yet Wii seems... well, curiously barren for much of thr year.

What have I missed?

I agree, part of my reluctance to buy the Wii is the lack of titles that have quality behind them. Now that I look at it Nintendo seem to be working on every title I want..

It seems third party creators visions of their next games require alot of extra power, and unfortunately, thats the only thing the Wii cannot offer. Sure its interactive and theres a whole new way of playing, but maybe developers are still thinking on how to expand their creations to utilise that.

The PS2 didn't have any competition for 2 years. But I agree with you, it is weird and makes us think of the amount of money hats there is in the industry.

It's simply a matter of fact that now the Wii has a new demographic as far as "casual gamers" are concerned, these are the people who continually buy the third-rate titles of which you speak and think they're marvellous, not having experienced "proper" games like the first party delights that you and I enjoy and look forward to each year. Until they too start boycotting the poorer games, people will continue to churn them out for a quick buck. :(

Because more games are sold on the 360 and even the PS3. And game sales are what matter to publishers and developers I guess.

The PS2 didn't have any competition for 2 years. But I agree with you, it is weird and makes us think of the amount of money hats there is in the industry.

Yes... I agree.

Hopefully Monster Hunter 3 is just one sign of things to come.

....and I PRAY for Skies of Arcadia... but not a port, thanks.

Because more games are sold on the 360 and even the PS3. And game sales are what matter to publishers and developers I guess.

Wrong.

Wii sold 50 million games in 18 months... xbox 360 sold 30 million games in it's first 18 months... PS3... LOL.

"Only Nintendo's games sell, wah wah wah."

It's always the excuse of publishers who don't even try to make decent games for the Wii, they just play it safe with shitty minigame compilations.

I'm having difficuly a source on that mate. According to Wikipedia (not the most trustworthy site, I know), 148.44 million Wii games have been sold as of March. Almost looks like you've pulled numbers out of thin air. Hmm.

I can't find a number for the amount of 360 games sold anywhere. I remember hearing that the 360 attach rate was something like four times higher than the Wii's though, which would mean it's sold more.

If you're right though, then I have no idea why publishers are heading to the PS360 instead. Maybe it's because it's easy to develop a game for the PS3 and 360 simulatneously then spend time downgrading it for the Wii. Just a guess.

I'm having difficuly a source on that mate. According to Wikipedia (not the most trustworthy site, I know), 148.44 million Wii games have been sold as of March. Almost looks like you've pulled numbers out of thin air. Hmm.

Before you make comments like that, you should perhaps do a simple google search - because look:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/05/nintendo_wii_has_highest_software_sales_for_first_18_months-2.html

More games were purchased in the first 18 months of the Wii's life than any other console's first year and a half, Nintendo said today.

About 50 million games were sold for the Wii in its first 18 months, compared to about 42 million games in the first 18 months of the Playstation 2's life. The Xbox 360 came in at 30 million or so, the Xbox at roughly 28 million and finally the Playstation 3 at about 20 million.

Speaking to a gathering at the Electronic Gaming Summit, Cammie Dunaway, executive video president of sales and marketing for Nintendo of America, Dunaway used the numbers to launch into a talk about Nintendo's strategy for expanding the market.

I haven't pulled anything out of thin air.

Seesh.

again.jpg

Why is it that forums all over the world are constantly trying to ape Neogaf?

Just posting a picture does nothing for the active discussion at hand.

My apologies if this is ground that's been covered. I've not been here for a while.

Before you make comments like that, you should perhaps do a simple google search - because look:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/05/nintendo_wii_has_highest_software_sales_for_first_18_months-2.html

I haven't pulled anything out of thin air.

Seesh.

My bad, seems you're right. In that case, I really have no idea why all the games are heading to the other two.

I mean, I can understand some developers having problems with Nintendo in the past, but you'd think with the lead they have coupled with the software sales it'd be water under the bridge.

I doubt it's money hats either, why would a company pay to have stuff like 50 Cent or Jericho on their systems?

Why is it that forums all over the world are constantly trying to ape Neogaf?

Just posting a picture does nothing for the active discussion at hand.

My apologies if this is ground that's been covered. I've not been here for a while.

Someone else on the net who hates NeoGAF? Marry me.

Someone else on the net who hates NeoGAF? Marry me.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Neogaf is a self-perpetuating circle jerk of losers who need to grow up. I hate the place. It's hateful, hateful hateful. I only ever go there because it serves as a good place to see all the gaming news of the day in one place. I cannot understand why anyone, anywhere, would want to be seen as even remotely like that place. Yet it seems every games forum desperately tries to follow in it's shit-stained footsteps.

... and, god, the 'industry analysis' by bed-wetting 40yo virgins? Count me OUT.

That paragraph, it's beautiful. ;_;

You're totally right. I have to admit I go there every now and then for news purposes, but everyone there seems to be twelve years old and painfully arrogant.

And God, the annoying repetetive gif avatars...

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Neogaf is a self-perpetuating circle jerk of losers who need to grow up. I hate the place. It's hateful, hateful hateful. I only ever go there because it serves as a good place to see all the gaming news of the day in one place. I cannot understand why anyone, anywhere, would want to be seen as even remotely like that place. Yet it seems every games forum desperately tries to follow in it's shit-stained footsteps.

... and, god, the 'industry analysis' by bed-wetting 40yo virgins? Count me OUT.

Yet your signature is "Wii hardcore gaming defense force"

lol.

Yet your signature is "Wii hardcore gaming defense force"

lol.

I'm not sure i get what you're trying to say? My sig is meant to be tongue in cheek.

I'm not sure i get what you're trying to say? My sig is meant to be tongue in cheek.

lol. --------

Point is, you hate NeoGaf (which is the right thing to do), yet you act just like a gaffer.

Posting pictures isn't something you can do only on Gaf.

Point is we're all off-topic ;)

All we can hope for is that more and more developers take note of the effort that some other developers (High Voltage, Platinum Games) are putting forth, and therefore would also want a piece of the pie. The pie in question being non-party-games games.

Point is we're all off-topic ;)

All we can hope for is that more and more developers take note of the effort that some other developers (High Voltage, Platinum Games) are putting forth, and therefore would also want a piece of the pie. The pie in question being non-party-games games.

I suppose it's relative...

Make party game costing £10 to make, sell 3million

Make epic adventure costing £50 to make, sell 3 million if lucky

If it were me justfying an investment of a large business, i know which i'd be more comfortable with.

Note: those figures are for example, and I'm not saying i agree with that stance, just that it is logical from a business POV.

I suppose it's relative...

Make party game costing £10 to make, sell 3million

Make epic adventure costing £50 to make, sell 3 million if lucky

If it were me justfying an investment of a large business, i know which i'd be more comfortable with.

Note: those figures are for example, and I'm not saying i agree with that stance, just that it is logical from a business POV.

I too see the logic, but I think that my aforementioned developers realised that the Wii market is becoming saturated, and that there is space for something different.

I think 3rd parties realize its in their best interest to make sure the 360 and PS3 thrive.

Imagine if you will being a 3rd party dev. Youve spent months and millions making a quality Wii title and releasing it into a sea of perpetual 1st party million-sellers. Oops! Looks like Nintendo released Mario Party 14 and Pokemon Copper that same day, ensuring that your game sells 300 copies.

I believe that if third parties were more competent, Nintendo would have a more "hands off" approach as it does with the DS.

I think 3rd parties realize its in their best interest to make sure the 360 and PS3 thrive.

Imagine if you will being a 3rd party dev. Youve spent months and millions making a quality Wii title and releasing it into a sea of perpetual 1st party million-sellers. Oops! Looks like Nintendo released Mario Party 14 and Pokemon Copper that same day, ensuring that your game sells 300 copies.

...So of course you're going to invest piles of cash into making a racer for the PS3, where Gran Turismo rules supreme. Or an FPS on the 360 which has Halo, and a whole bunch of others allready rule.

That statement is a pile of C**P. Because the Wii is weaker, you can make the same game for a tenth of the price and still make it feel advanced FOR THE FORMAT.

Sign in to follow this