NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ollie

I want an 8800GT, but which vendor?

I am going to be buying a pair of 8800GT cards for my computer, but I can't decide which vendor to go for. I have searched google for hours looking for a comparrison of the different vendor cards but no one seems to have done one. I like the look of this one:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-150-AS

It claims to have 1Gb of memory, however according to both Nvidia and Wikipedia, the highest amount of memory available on any 8800GT is 512:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/geforce_8800.html

So I can't help but think that something isn't right. Can anyone shed some light on this, or would a card from a different vendor be better?

I am replacing a 7600GT so this should be a nice upgrade :smile:

Hmmm... In the product description it says:

"Your search for the perfect graphics card is over. The ideal combination of power, performance, and price, the NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT graphics card offers 112 stream processors, a 512MB 256-bit frame buffer, standard-setting GeForce 8 Series features and, a strikingly immersive DirectX 10 gaming experience. Ultra-realistic smoke, rain, explosions, lighting, terrain deformation and motion blur enable jealousy-inducing, lightning-fast gameplay in the hottest games, including Crysis, Hellgate: London, Call of Duty 4, and Gears of War. With full support for PCI Express 2.0 and featuring second generation NVIDIA PureVideo™ HD engine, the SLI™-Ready NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics card was worth the wait."

But then below that it says:

"- 1024MB GDDR3 Memory running at 1800MHz"

Because speed wise, there is no difference. (in most cases)

Some vendors may choose to release one with slightly higher clocks and jump up the price a bit or give more memory like the asus there. But between one vendor and another with the same specs the difference is negligible. Oh, actually they also differ in duration of warranty so you might want to look into that. The cheaper brands might use lower quality parts as well.

There should however be benchmarks to compare that asus and normal 8800GT's.

Get a BFG version from Overclockers.

Pre overclocked, lifetime warranty and OC sell BFG's really cheap too.

Get a base level 8800GT, the overclocked ones and ones with extra memory tend to be bad value for money.

Get a BFG version from Overclockers.

Pre overclocked, lifetime warranty and OC sell BFG's really cheap too.

As the man says, BFG are great. The warranty isn't lifetime though, the EU says no to lifetime warranties (10 years is still plenty though surely?). Lifetime in US and Canada only

Sign in to follow this