Activision Unveils Guitar Hero® World Tour aka Guitar Hero IV

• New State of the Art Wireless Instruments
  • Innovative Music Studio Lets Players Compose, Record, Edit and
  • Share Music
  • Biggest Selection of On-Disc Music with All Master Tracks
  • Robust New Eight-Player "Battle of the Bands" Mode
  • First Game Ever in the Guitar Hero® Franchise to Allow In-Game
  • Downloadable Content on Wii

When the house lights go down this fall, a new generation of axe shredders, drummers and fearless frontmen will come together and rock with Activision, Inc.'s (Nasdaq: ATVI) Guitar Hero® World Tour. The latest installment from the #1 best-selling video game franchise of 2007, Guitar Hero World Tour will transform music gaming by marrying Guitar Hero's® exhilarating guitar gameplay, with a cooperative band experience that combines the most advanced wireless instruments with revolutionary new online and offline gameplay modes. The game will feature a slick newly redesigned guitar, a genuine electronic drum kit and a microphone, as well as an innovative Music Studio music creator that lets players compose, record, edit and share their own rock and roll anthems, along with online Band Career and 8-player "Battle of the Bands."

Delivering the largest on-disc set list in a music-rhythm game to-date, Guitar Hero World Tour is comprised entirely of master recordings from some of the greatest classic and modern rock bands of all-time including Van Halen, Linkin Park, The Eagles, Sublime and many more. Additionally, the game will offer significantly more localized downloadable music than ever before on all of the next-generation consoles. Budding rock stars will also be given creative license to fully customize everything from their characters' appearance and instruments to their band's logo and album covers.

In addition to a newly designed more responsive guitar controller and microphone, Guitar Hero World Tour will deliver the most realistic drum experience ever in a video game with an authentic electronic drum kit. Featuring three drum pads, two raised cymbals and a bass kick pedal, the drum controller combines larger and quieter, velocity-sensitive drum heads with soft rubber construction to deliver authentic bounce back and is easy to set up, move, break down and store.

"Guitar Hero has set the standard for music-based gaming and with Guitar Hero World Tour and the game's groundbreaking Music Studio, we are once again delivering unprecedented innovation that has the potential to revolutionize consumer generated music, much in the same way that video sharing hubs have driven user generated video," said Dusty Welch, Head of Publishing for RedOctane. "With the introduction of our advanced high-quality new wireless instruments, in-depth customization options and advanced online functionality, the game enables music fans and gamers globally to share in the most social and expressive music experience ever."

Guitar Hero World Tour delivers more ways to play than ever before. Virtual musicians can live out their rock and roll fantasies by playing either a single instrument, or any combination of instruments, in addition to the full band experience. In addition to all of the online gameplay modes from Guitar Hero® III: Legends of Rock, Guitar Hero World Tour introduces Battle of the Bands mode which allows eight players to join online and challenge each other band-to-band to determine who is the best of the best. In the Band modes, up to four players can jam together, online or off, as they progress through the game, and in single-player Career Mode, players can jam on any of the instruments in branching venue progression enabling them to rock out in the order of their choice.

The game's innovative new Music Studio lets players express their musical creativity by giving them access to a full compliment of tools to create digital music from scratch, utilizing all of the instruments, and then play their compositions in the game. Music creators will also be able to share their recordings with their friends online through GHTunes where other gamers can download their unique compositions and play them.

Guitar Hero World Tour is being developed by Neversoft Entertainment for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. The Wii version is being developed by Vicarious Visions. The PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system version is being developed by Budcat. The game is not yet rated by the ESRB.

Customisation can really sell a game. Everybody has wanted to make their own Guitarists since GH1 (The need intensified after GH3 when Clive Winston, who was class, was replaced with Midori, who is crap.), and the whole create-a-song option could be a huge selling point when the game comes out.

This might be really good, even though the inclusion of the rest of the band means it's no longer 'Guitar Hero'. But, meh.

What sucks about this game is we will have to buy another drum kit if we've bought Rock Band.... it's going to break the bank. Again.

Cool. I thought Guitar Hero III was shit but the customization stuff has me interested.

lol @ describing Linkin Park as one of the greatest classic and modern rock bands of all-time.

Edit- That has to be one of the shittiest trailers I've ever seen.

lol @ describing Linkin Park as one of the greatest classic and modern rock bands of all-time.

Why lol?

This looks coooool. Could be good, depending on price.

So they'e literally copied rock band but put an extra cymbol on the drums so you cant use the Rock Band one, fantastic.

Since in GH3 they decide to call it 'Legends of Rock' and in the game they have the Kaiser Chiefs and other bands which aren't 'Legends', GH3 will be my first and last GH game.

The face on that woman in the top screenshop looks hideous.

Since in GH3 they decide to call it 'Legends of Rock' and in the game they have the Kaiser Chiefs and other bands which aren't 'Legends', GH3 will be my first and last GH game.

The face on that woman in the top screenshop looks hideous.

It actually refers to the "Legendary" characters that are in it... you know Tom and Slash.

So, i guess it's now down to choice. Do we follow the Rock Band series or the Guitar Hero series?

If the Rock Band instruments are compatable with the sequel then i think it'll go down that road. More DLC and tbh the track selections are a lot better, they seem to have found the happy middle ground between well known and good :)

Screw this, I'm going with Rock Band when its price drops. Red Octane has decided to completely copy Harmonix on this one, and it's a little narrow-minded to include other instruments in a game with the word 'guitar' in its title. Unless a revolutionary track list is revealed, I'll be avoiding this.

Well, Red Octane were sorta responsible for the creation of the guitar prephiral in the first place.

The drum kit looks so much better, but then again i've yet to even play Rock Band

Prices

Band Bundle - $179.99(PS2) / $189.99 (PS3,X360,Wii) £220 :o

Guitar Bundle - $99.99 (PS2,PS3,X360,Wii)

Game Only - $49.99 (PS2,Wii) / $59.99 (PS3,X360)

Well, Red Octane were sorta responsible for the creation of the guitar prephiral in the first place.
Which drives my point further: Red Octane was the developer that oversaw Guitar Hero, but now it's gone on to copy Harmonix's next movements which it had nothing to do with.

Prices

.....If I didnt laugh, Id cry.

Why lol?

I really, really hope that was supposed to be ironic.

Prices

Guitar Bundle - $99.99 (PS2,PS3,X360,Wii)

Game Only - $49.99 (PS2,Wii) / $59.99 (PS3,X360)

Bets on it being ~£280 when it comes out over here?

"oh it costs so much to ship all the way to your tiny island"

Definetly getting game only :B

(not that I can use the guitar controller anyway..)

So this'll be Rock Band + 1 extra thing on drums + customize character for a lot more money?

And people are crying over Rock Bands pricing.

To think I used to defend Guitar Hero over Rock Band..*shudder*

People people calm down surely these aren't the final prices, it seems a little early to be talking price points.

Anyone reckon a 3rd party will release peripherals that work with both Rock Band and GH?

I prefer RB at the mo but I'd rather have the option for both.

Gameplay vid on Kotaku. It has the same layout as rock band. Rock band screens look better. But they had Tony Hawk on the demonstration so theres is better. Not.

Anyone reckon a 3rd party will release peripherals that work with both Rock Band and GH?

I prefer RB at the mo but I'd rather have the option for both.

There's some Mad Katz instruments coming out that work with Rock Band, the prices on Play.com aren't nice thought. They seem to be charging the same amount as the official instruments :hmm:

Jesus, Rock Band is starting to look a little empty now.