NEurope

Infomation:

SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced a worldwide partnership with PlatinumGames Inc., the development studio recently formed by the team behind some of the most successful franchises in the video game industry. Under the agreement, PlatinumGames will develop three ground-breaking new SEGA titles - MADWORLD™, Infinite Line™ and Bayonetta™ – covering a variety of game genres with innovative design concepts that explore the depths of today’s best-selling platforms. A soon-to-be-announced fourth title, being directed by legendary gaming icon Shinji Mikami, is also part of the agreement.

“The creative forces at PlatinumGames bring a new level of imagination into the SEGA family at a pivotal time in the video game industry when the demand for quality, originality and fun has never been greater,” said Tatsuya Minami, President and CEO, PlatinumGames. “These new titles will contribute meaningfully to SEGA’s brand, while adding a new level of depth to the strategic portfolio of games in our library.”

“We are thrilled to have forged this new relationship with such a talented team of individuals and we are understandably excited about the titles that they are producing for us,” commented Mike Hayes President and COO of SEGA Europe Ltd. “SEGA continually strives to release games for all consumers that are of the highest quality, working with Platinum Games further enhances that strategy.”

Bayonetta is a stylish and cinematic action game, directed by creator Hideki Kamiya and set for release in 2009 on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. A witch with powers beyond the comprehension of mere mortals, Bayonetta faces-off against countless angelic enemies, many reaching epic proportions, in a game of 100% pure, unadulterated all-out action. Outlandish finishing moves are performed with balletic grace as Bayonetta flows from one fight to another. With magnificent over-the-top action taking place in stages that are a veritable theme park of exciting attractions, Bayonetta pushes the limits of the action genre, bringing to life its fast-paced, dynamic climax combat.

Screens

bayonetta-20080515090200651_640w.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640518.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640531.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640536.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640546.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640676.jpg

bayonetta-20080515090215619_640w.jpg

bayonetta-20080515090211135_640w.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640546.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640697.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640716.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640751.jpg

bayonetta-20080515090206245_640w.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640764.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640776.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640851.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640820.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640882.jpg

t_bayonetta_debut_h2640957.jpg

Scans

bayonettaqb5.th.jpg

The head guy involved created the original DMC and has stated that he wants to bring 3D action games to the fore all over again.

The concept of a witch being reborn in modern times and killing angels is so over the top that I would say video is what we need :)

Kotaku have more details...I can't be arsed to link.

Let us hope its not another (shudder) Bullet Witch.

having played ninja gaiden and dmc4, i'm not sure i'd call the genre dissapointing this year.

still, look forward to seeing the results of this scheme, although the protagonist looks a bit silly.

This and Mad World are two of my most anticipated games. I'd never ever heard of PlatinumGames before yesterday.

Guns on your fucking feet. Best idea ever.

Bayonetta - First Gameplay Description?

The main character walked around an outdoor monistary looking type place, which was extremely colourful, there was lots of particles and butterflies, reminded me a bit of Fable 2 in regards to the artistic settings. Its a bit fairy tale like. Then Bayonetta was attacked by Angels, which had giant white wings, the faces of which were like birds/eagle, and each had a golden halo around their head. They carried golden spears and golden sheids and these attacked Bayonetta. What followed reminded me alot of devil may cry with a flury of attacks by Bayonetta combining kicks, punches and gunplay, guns which are attached to her feet as well. The gameplay is extremely fast paced. Then Bayenetta did a finishing move on one of the enemies, which was summoning a gold egyption torture thing, im not sure what its called (its a coffin but has spikes in it) and she kicked the enemy into this floating coffin and the door slammed shut and blood sprayed everywhere with a freaky scream let out by the angel.

The next bit i saw involved a bit of platforming, Bayonetta jumped on rock ledges to get to the top of a cliff, the next thing i saw involved giant ogres, smashing the rock ledges to pieces and the ledges start colapsing. These ogres are massive, and look a bit like lord of the rings trolls carrying giant clubs. It gets very cinimatic and as the ledges get smashed by the ogres the ledges break away and the orgres start to fall off, but trying to clamber back up , as this happens bayonetta has to do a quick time event and she manages to escape up the ledges.

One other battle with an angel happens and bayonetta unleashes another finishing move, this one involves her summoning a gilloteen (sorry, i don't know how its spelt, medieval execution tool to chop peoples heads off) and she slams the angel into it, locks the latch so it cant get out and releases the blade and it chops its head of in an extremely gory fashion with the head rolling about afterwards.

The last thing i remember was Bayonetta unleashing a move on an ogre. She casts some weird spell which creates this giant and i mean MASSIVE dragon out of wind looks like a tornado sort of thing and its swirling around but you can clearly see a giant dragon head leap out from the twirling wind and grab the ogre in its mouth and rips it to pieces, ALOT of blood is in this game. The attention to detail had my jaw dropped to the floor on many occasions.

Another clip followed showing a strange enemy. I think is was a boss, a Giant dragon flying but underneath of it was a giant round rock gripped in the claws of the dragon, and three faces that rotated around which were sculpted in the rock each one with a different expression, the faces were so lifelike it was actually quite scary. It was incredible. The artistic direction and the imagination to come up with such incredible enemies really was a pleasure to see.

The gameplay is very fast paced, on a number of occasions it had a strong resemblance to DMC but in a good way, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous, i think probably to this day the best i have seen for that genre. The story and enemies, i mean fighting against angels is awesome idea.

We also asked him about The juggles in the game (aerial combat ), Physics, and animations:

yes you can perform aerial combos from what i remember, thats where the aerial finishing move such as the floating coffin execution come in. Its incredible stuff to watch, but i can only imagine what its like actually with the controller in your hand playing it.

The physics in the game looked extremely good, especially the part i saw with ogres and rocks being smashed up and the ledges collapsing, very believeable physics in terms of structural deformation.

The character animation is top knotch as well, the character just flows from one move to another move with such agility and ease, the movement is incredible fluid and it looks like it will be great fun to play. It really does make the eyes stare and you dont want to blink because you dont want to miss any of the ridiculously cool combat moves you take part in.

I believe the bodies do disappear from what i remember, they disintegrate in a very cinematic way that fits in with the angels and witches idea. I am not 100% on whether or not they change this for the finished game i am not sure.

One thing is for sure though, i walked out of that room extremely impressed. This is far more impressive than anything in the genre and its going against the likes of Ninja Gaiden, God of War, and Devil May Cry, i think that speaks for itself. This game looks as though it will be a fantastic game and top the lot.

platinumgames.faction.gametrailers.com

Thing is that so far the impression I'm getting is that this sounds *alot* like DMC- melee, guns and magic. I'm not convinced this is going to be genuinely new yet. I need to see Footage.

New infomation:

• The names of Bayonetta's guns are Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.Together, they're known as Scarborough Fair.

• Enemies drop weapons, which Bayonetta can pick up and use for a limited time.One of this is a tuba, wich functions as a bazooka.

• When Bayonetta jumps or double-jumps, gossamer butterfly wings temporarily sprout from her back.When she lands, dozens of tiny butterflies appear at her feet.

• Bayonetta's outfit isn't actually leather despite the stitching you see in the CG art - It's magical hair that covers her entire body, and it's used in her attacks.The most powerful ones render her almost completely nude.

• Similar to how Devil May Cry used red orbs, Bayonetta features angel halos as currency, wich you use to power up your weapons, unlock skills, or buy items.

• When Bayonetta fires her guns, the bullets ricochet off walls, causing additional damage to nearby enemies.

• Bayonetta's most powerful attacks summon a giant, smoky dragon or a giant, smoky stiletto heel out of the sky to stomp on her enemies.But again, it's not smoke that surrounds these summons - It's a hair.So, yes, that dragon is a giant, slithering hair dragon, and that stiletto heel is a giant, sexy hair boot.You have to enter specific button commands in order to summon the hair monster, though, adding an element of skill.

• When one of these powerful summons exits the area, it's punctuated by the appearence of purple sparkles.

• Control comes in the form of a shoot button, a punch butto, and a kick button.But you can purchase others, stronger combinations.

• Bayonetta uses "Witch Time" - Bayonetta's sense become especially accute, and the environment (and enemies) around her slows down.

• Sometimes, an onscreens button prompt appears during combats, wich means it's time to mash buttons in order to inflict extra damage on an enemy.Tapping the button fast enough results in over-the-top supermoves - such as guillotinedropping from the sky on your enemy (with predictable results) - called Torture Attacks.

• Bayonneta ahs a spinning jump attack that fires her guns in 360 degrees.She can also perform a handstand and aim the guns on her feet at enemies.

• Bayonneta also wields a katana, but Platinum Games won't reveal the name yet.You can charge this blade for a more powerful attack, which causes a heart to appear on the pommel.The heart beats as you charge it up, and dark fumes billow from the sword.

• More weapons will be added and revealed closer to the game's release.Each weapon has a monster spirit, which makes it stronger, and the context of the combat situation dictates which hairy summon appears.

• Miniboss battle: Angelic foe at the end of Big Little City zone.It's got some huge attacks courtesy of its giant two-handed ax - and this baddie pauses for a dramatic split second with every swing.Luckily, Bayonetta can jump over these attacks with or without Witch Time.Humorously, the giant miniboss has pathetically tiny angel wings, gold piercings, and the requisiet angel's halo.

• A fine mist covers the ground during the miniboss battle, designed to create a "holy atmosphere".The battle ends with an onscreen button prompt, which summons a giant hair dragon who bites the angel miniboss in half.

• The reward for besting this miniboss is a gold record with the descriptor "Angel Singing Voice" but we're not sure whether it unlocks a music track or some other feature.

• Bayonetta has a huge chain and sickle that she uses for both ground-based and airbone attacks.

• The right trigger button on the Xbox 360 controller shoots.Yuo can equip all four guns at once, or you can opt to swap out the pistols in her hands with the sword and use the guns on her feets as well.Certain weapons are specifically designed to be equipped on her hands, feet, or both.

• Bayonetta has been in development stages for a year and half - work started a little after Okami shipped.

• As Bayonetta attacks the enemy angel forces, she breaks of layers of their outer armor.

xc583l.jpg

The outfit idea is stupid. It's not leather, but hair that breaks off due to certain attacks, the most powerful of which can leave her almost completely billy-bollocks?

Fanservice FTL! :nono:

The outfit idea is stupid. It's not leather, but hair that breaks off due to certain attacks, the most powerful of which can leave her almost completely billy-bollocks?

Fanservice FTL! :nono:

Dosen´t help that she looks like a BDSM queen in that shot....

Dosen´t help that she looks like a BDSM queen in that shot....

Nah, BDSM queens are fatter, and look like Steve Bruce. (Google Image him.)

bayonetta-hairboot.jpg

Kamiya made it sound like Bayonetta is the completion of his sort of personal action trilogy.

Dante = Cool Moves

Joe = Beautiful Moves

Bayonetta = Sexy Moves

While the outfit idea does sound a bit "iffy" even though original, the rest of the game shows much promise. :)

Looks cool. I can see its more God of War esque now. Looks good and a nice improvement from DMC.

It does seem alot better now it's been put into context, eg levels have been shown etc. I can't help but find her look sort of ridiculous though, she looks like a vamped-up Tina Fey.

It does seem alot better now it's been put into context, eg levels have been shown etc. I can't help but find her look sort of ridiculous though, she looks like a vamped-up Tina Fey.

Or vamped-up Lisa Loeb or Sarah Palin. :shakehead

Lisa-Loeb-color-2-big.jpg

how the fuck can she reload the shoe guns? seems massively impractical to me.

magic or she has guns like Dante has that never need reloading.

New screens

b01.jpg

b02.jpg

b03.jpg

b04.jpg

b05.jpg

b06.jpg

b07.jpg