NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dabookerman

built in laptop wifi

so yeah, ive moved back to my room, with laptop, and the crappy built in wifi stays connected for like 5mins before dc then rc again....this pisses me off, so is it worth buying a network card?

so far jordan says yes, a bit more yesses would be nice

Your laptop should have a network card built in. I don't think I've seen any that don't... :-/

about 80% of pcs have wifi built in, is it that intel centrino thing i hear so much about?

yes...i brought a belkin network card...and its dc twice in like 5 hours so its better...but not excellent...it seems i may have to invest in mimo later

From what you've said, it looks like you've got configuration problems.

You'll have no need for Mimo unless the distance between your laptop and router is of quite a great distance.

First of all, update your routers firmware, as you may get better connection results.

Also disable your on-board wifi chip through the device manager, as it may conflict your new Belkin card.

well, the distance is like 5 metres through the walls...im thinking, should laminate flooring or the foam underneath have to do anything about it?

With a distance of 5 metres you should be easily receiving a full signal, even if you do have to go through 1 or 2 walls.

Try changing the channel that you're operating on aswell, as you never know if there's someone elses network operating on the same one.

You could also change the protocal that you transmit on down to B on all your devices, as I'm pretty sure you'll be able to retain a more stable connection, but your throughput would be lowered of course (that won't be a problem unless you plan on transfering files from comp to comp). You'll then be running at 11 Mbit/s instead of 54Mbit/s.

Sign in to follow this