NEurope
dwarf

PS3 or 360?

Constructive arguments only please:

I don't really know if I'll be able to get enough money to buy either of these whilst having a Wii at the same time, but after playing on these consoles they offer quite a lot of stuff Wii doesn't, and keeping with Nintendo systems has its downfalls. I don't think I could sell my Wii, but the first party offerings don't seem enough now. Whenever I look on the shelf for PS3 and 360, it seems they have a large amount more on offer.

Having played the 360 and PS3 recently, I really like both, but I'm not certain on which is better, although at the moment I'm rating the PS3 more than I did before. Factors include the downloadable content looking better, and also a couple of franchises I know about, I'm a fan of Tekken, Metal Gear and I've played the Haze demo which stunned me.

Thing is I don't really know the specifics and exactly which features are better on one console, although apparently online is better on 360.

If you could give your arguments for and against both consoles that would be good, but please exclude price issues because that one I'm not worrying about that for now, I'd just like your opinions on the better machine. Cheers.

I think at this point I'd buy a PS3, because multi platform games are coming more on to an even keel and I think the future looks better on it. The main reason to look forward to a 360 was Banjo 3 but thats irrelevant now since we aren't getting Banjo 3.

Well... seeing as I have both, my opinion will probably be quite constructive.

I avoid being a fanboy type!

Xbox 360

Pros

Simple yet rewarding achievements system

Strong titles such as Gears of War and Halo

Well established LIVE service almost 6 years old

Simple user interface

Comfortable controller

Relatively Cheap

Cons

Prone to overheating

Microsoft are a US company

(if you aren't a US resident, its tough to get any help!)

Online setup costs can be quite expensive

PS3

Pros

Free to setup online (no adapter or online service costs)

Most powerful graphics processer of all systems

Sixaxis controller

Strong titles such as Metal Gear Solid

Soon to be released Playstation Home

Classy looking machine which feels well built

Region free

Built in harddrive

Cons

Not a very well established online service

Quite expensive

Uncomfortable controller design

Few games to play

With that said, I am mainly an Xbox360 player... but the year before the PS3 came out, I was hooked on the first next gen offering and it was hard to turn back to Sony.

Im sure youll make the right decision, they are both great consoles! :smile:

Write a list of games you want for both systems.

Pick the list that appeals to you the most.

Well... seeing as I have both, my opinion will probably be quite constructive.

I avoid being a fanboy type!

Xbox 360

Pros

Simple yet rewarding achievements system

Strong titles such as Gears of War and Halo

Well established LIVE service almost 6 years old

Simple user interface

Comfortable controller

Relatively Cheap

Cons

Prone to overheating

Microsoft are a US company

Online setup costs can be quite expensive

PS3

Pros

Free to setup online (no adapter or online service costs)

Most powerful graphics processer of all systems

Sixaxis controller

Strong titles such as Metal Gear Solid

Soon to be released Playstation Home

Classy looking machine which feels well built

Region free

Built in harddrive

Cons

Not a very well established online service

Quite expensive

Uncomfortable controller design

Few games to play

With that said, I am mainly an Xbox360 player... but the year before the PS3 came out, I was hooked on the first next gen offering and it was hard to turn back to Sony.

Im sure youll make the right decision, they are both great consoles! :smile:

I think you've got it pretty much spot on. I would look at games available for each and decide based on that. How much do you really want to play Metal Gear?

Banjo, Viva Pinata, Fable 2, and Gears 2 are all looking excellent right now, but then so is Wipeout HD, Resistance 2 and Metal Gear, so it depends what you want to play.

Xbox 360 is my choice though.

Also Blu-Ray for the PS3. Now the "SUPeR Mega 'war to end ALL wArs' uber High Definition battLe" is over, Blu-Ray is definitely a solid factor when considering the PS3.

And upgradable Hard Drive is great. Mine has a 320Gb HD.

Killzone 2 and LittleBigPlanet are also huge draws, not to mention FFXIII and FF Versus XIII (when they finally come in the year 2014).

I love my 360 but I'm more excited by my PS3.

Agree with LBP and Blu Ray as factors for PS3. It's basically why I have one. Though if you only have a Wii right now it seems unlikely that you would have a HDTV, so Blu Ray might not be that important.

As has been said, it's all about the games really. The rest barely matters, if a console doesn't have the games you want to play then you won't enjoy it to the same extent. It's more important than Blu-Ray, more important than reliability, more important than a crappy controller or online service.

whoawhoawhoawhoa!

Mostly good post, but this bit is crap. Microsoft's support centres in the UK have a very good reputation.

Not that we're treated the same as the US though, they have a better marketplace than us :(

No matter where you ring from you will get a stupid idiot in India who can barley speak English.

Sony customer support on the other hand is all in the UK ;)

Microsoft call centers aren't that bad. They aren't fantastic but certainly not the worst I have come across.

Also, the PS3 does have plenty of good games so the extra features, like Blu-Ray, do become important.

Yo dwarf I am in the same boat and agree with people's comments about it being about the games. Other things like online etc are just a bonus. For my case, MGS and Killzone make such a heavy impact that they really make my decision for me. Can't go without playing them.

Without doubt I'd say PS3 right now. I feel the 360 has already peaked in this gen and there's still a tonne of great games due to come out for PS3.

I also like being able to play on a console that I know isn't going to soil itself and die on me or sound like it's trying to turn my house into Kennedy Space Center, unlike my 360. /flamebait

Don't get me wrong, the 360 is still a great console, but I'm far happier with my PS3.

I recently got a PS3 and the reason that sold it for me was the free online setup and future promise. Little Big Planet and HOME was a major decision too. Plus the GTA pack came at the right time :)

The bonus of downloading/playing PS1 games was nice too. I liked the fact that I could watch DVD's/Bluray etc in HD too.

I do think that the 360 has some major titles that I would miss but run and gun and race games aren't really my bag. So yeah, I have wii and ps3. Perfect combo for me. I get LBP and major free online gaming with the option to download additional content on the PS3. Deal was easy in the end. (And Ratchet and Clank is on the PS3 :) )

Ah yes and Ratchet and Clank. That's 4 games I've mentioned that I really really like.

Can someone tell me a little bit more about LBP and HOME please?

Laithan got it right really. The 360 online expirience is unrivaled, its cheap and the controller is great.

The PS3 online is not great..... yet. When home is out it should improve, the controller is terrible until the DS3 comes out but online is free.

If not for its giant fail rate, i would have chose the 360 over the PS3. But i have to give the edge to the PS3 for its integretity, plethora of features, its 'potential', and free online, which ive had nothing but fluid good times with. Money well spent!

In all honesty, i would go for the 360 and more importantly, the Elite model. Reason to why i said this is that the Elite is far more reliable than the Premium model as far as i can tell anyway. Currently lasting longer than my Premium which was repaired twice by now last year.

Anyway, the 360 has great games like Gears, Halo, PGR4. It also has a great online service with Live, downloadable content for great games like GTA IV (not yet, but its coming), Vegas, Gears etc. It also has a comfortable, easy to use controller and user interface.

The only reason i would consider a PS3 would be because of the Blu-Ray drive it has, but that is about all i would consider it for.

Dwarf, what games are you into? I think that's what should govern your decision. Despite what people say, the 360 is a shooter fanatics wet dream. It is saturated with shooters, and seeing as it is a US console with a very large user base in the US, I can only see that this is the way things will be for this console in the future. Only thing that will stray from this is probably driving. PS3 on the other hand is a Japanese console, and as such is likely to have lots of games to please the japanese market, where it is slowly picking up steam.

Games are what you want to play on these machines so they should govern your choice rather than extra features such as blu ray and live.

I would buy the console depending on what games series and developers are your favourites. Both consoles have functional online, so it really boils down to your preferences. Which list looks more appealing?

Xbox 360:

- Halo series - Halo Wars, Halo chronicles

- PGR series

_ Rareware games - Viva Pinata, Banjo 3

- Gears of war 1 and 2

- Lionhead games - Fable 2

- Ninja Gaiden series.

- Square Enix - Infinite Undiscovery

- Tales Of Vesperia

- Left4Dead

- Alan Wake...maybe delayed till Xbox 720?

- Too Human

- Forza series

PS3:

- Little Big Planet

- MGS4 and MGO

- Haze

- Resistance 2

- Killzone 2

- Jack and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank series

- Disgaea 3

- Square Enix - Final Fantasy XIII/Vs

- Star Ocean series

Here's just a sample, but for me the 360 list is stronger. Plainly down to the fact I'm an FPS fan and GOW and Halo are too good to pass and I'm a fan of Lionhead Studios and the direction of the Fable sequel.

I would buy the console depending on what games series and developers are your favourites. Both consoles have functional online, so it really boils down to your preferences. Which list looks more appealing?

Xbox 360:

- Halo series - Halo Wars, Peter Jackson's Halo game.

- PGR series

_ Rareware games - Viva Pinata, Banjo 3.

- Gears of war 1 and 2

- Lionhead games - Fable 2

PS3:

- Little Big Planet

- MGS4 and MGO

- Haze

- Resistance 2

- Killzone 2

-

There is a bunch of RPGs and Strategy RPGs you can add to the PS3s list too like Disgaea 3, Final Fantasy XIII vs and the proper RPG.

There is a bunch of RPGs and Strategy RPGs you can add to the PS3s list too like Disgaea 3, Final Fantasy XIII vs and the proper RPG.

Done, added a 360 counterpart too.