NEurope
marcel

MadWorld

What? I just completed the game and the chainsaw is available in the beginning of the level when you start your new save. You didn't find it?

Finally got me a copy & started playing yesterday, it's so much more fun than i expected from watching the videos :)

Reminds me of arcade games like Final Fight / Crime Fighters. Also by the end of each stage i realise i have a huge grin on my face - between the OTT atmosphere & the sarcastic commentators you can't help enjoying it!

I think this game is amazing, Im on the 'Court Yard' Level with the zombies, anyway I play this game for a couple of hours or so then leave it for a few days n come back to it and its great to play that way - I have no idea how close to end I am.

I am loving the game play in this one, so responsive n fresh (imo) so much fun (if brutal lol) to play. I can really see me replaying levels at whim when I finish this, it is that good. Plus of course theres the hard mode and the ! objectives Ive just learnt about reading this thread.

The graphics - amazing its like playing a graphic novel (if this did not sell 'to well' due to the fact its in monocrome (apart from the blood) then I really do worry for mentallity of the general public, lol).

Looking for brutal chain combo ways to butcher the goons is a new classic video game moment for me - I think this could be a future classic.

The graphics - amazing its like playing a graphic novel (if this did not sell 'to well' due to the fact its in monocrome (apart from the blood) then I really do worry for mentallity of the general public, lol).

Conversation between me (playing) & housemate (watching):

"What's that you're playing?"

"Madworld. Really fun, beating the crap out of people"

"Why's it in black & white?"

"It's the style they went for."

"But couldn't they do it in colour?"

"Apparently they tried some colour but decided on a comic book black & white style with red blood."

"Yea but you get colour comics...?"

"They decided not to."

[pause while he watches a bit]

"Does it go into colour later on?"

"No."

[another pause while he watches some more]

"Couldn't they have put a bit of colour in?"

"They obviously decided not to."

[walks out the room]

"Apparently they tried some colour but decided on a comic book black & white style with red blood."

"They decided not to."

"No."

[walks out the room]

lol, Classic mate, classic.

Please tell me he's also not like the people who consider themselves to be the so called "hardcore" because they enjoy generic FPS'. D:

clearly an idiot. im not a big fan of madworld, but youd need to be an oddball not to get the black and white style.

"They decided not to."

"No."

[walks out the room]

hahaha awesome! It's a little sad when a development house tries something fresh and it underperforms, yet the next generic FPS shfits hundreds of thousands of copies.

Removed finisher!

Lol, not that its bad, but the one that we have is way cooler.

link isnt working anymore, thank you sega!!!. Anyone that has the clip on his pc and is able to repost it?

Been playing this game the last few days. The gameplay is really fun, I haven't even really been trying to rack up big scores so far but I have a good time just finding different ways to get new kills. Some of the challenges are a blast and I love the Black Baron. Cutscenes and story are pretty cool too.

The only problem (and I assume a lot of people complained about earlier in this thread , though I haven't checked) is the fucking abysmal PAL conversion. I haven't had to deal with shit like that since Final Fantasy X. I've managed to get used to it but I was furious at Platinum Games for a while for being so lazy and angry at Sega as the publisher for completely allowing it.

Been playing this game the last few days. The gameplay is really fun, I haven't even really been trying to rack up big scores so far but I have a good time just finding different ways to get new kills. Some of the challenges are a blast and I love the Black Baron. Cutscenes and story are pretty cool too.

The only problem (and I assume a lot of people complained about earlier in this thread , though I haven't checked) is the fucking abysmal PAL conversion. I haven't had to deal with shit like that since Final Fantasy X. I've managed to get used to it but I was furious at Platinum Games for a while for being so lazy and angry at Sega as the publisher for completely allowing it.

Completely agree, its incredible how they couldn't give a shit about it, a game that prides so much on its visual style.

Completely agree, its incredible how they couldn't give a shit about it, a game that prides so much on its visual style.

Me too, esp since i gotta manually change my TV between progressive & non-progressive, so games that don't support it stand out like a sore thumb.

My bro got me this for my birthday the other week and I finished it earlier this week.

I have to say that on the whole, it was a decent game but nothing remarkable. The visual style gives it a lot of character, but I thought the gameplay was a bit repetitive. There needed to be more moves and more interaction for environmental kills.

And whilst you could label those faults against something like No More Heroes, NMH has the sense to break up the action. And with the parts in between being less enjoyable than the main fighting, it makes you appreciate the fighting more. It also helps to pad the game out more.

And whilst my clock reads at a smidge over 4 hrs (it obviously doesn't include deaths or cutscenes in the time recorded), I don't think I would have wanted it to go for any longer than it did. Any other action game that clocked in at that length would leave me feeling a little short changed, but it's better than it becoming stale.

One thing that did surprise me though was the soundtrack. I can't normally stand any kind of urban, R n' B, rap... etc style of music but I thoroughly enjoyed the game's score. The voice work was also good, though some of the commentators remarks got a bit tired, and the credits had me chuckling away.

I have only played through the first 2 areas of the game, and found that to be about enough for me.

After that the only difference seems to be a different skin for the same game. Not all that impressed, but certainly a good looking game (although the visual style did confuse me at times as it was hard to pick stuff out), and decent enough sound design. It would have been much better if there was just more to it, like more finishing moves and stuff like that.

It doesn't help that the camera is pretty bad either. I like it enough to keep it though.

MegaBump!

Bump! wooo.

So, I felt in the mood tonight to play one of three games: Madworld, de Blooob or Brawwwl. In the end, I felt Madworld deserved some love, so I gave that another little go.

I really enjoy this game. I started playing then, then stopped as I had a ton of Uni work to do, then continued to stop as I moved home and started working. So, I had a bit of free time tonight and felt I should play this. I got up to the Frank level, and really enjoyed it. The Baron makes me chuckle, and now that I'm playing the game with the volume at a good level (without fear of disturbing housemates) I can fully appreciate the ace commentary.

Got past the the Elise level too. The way the commentators keep mentioning her rack had me chuckling. It funny. :laughing:

This seems to be a bit of a love/hate game, but I'm definitely residing with the loooove eet population. I don't know if a sequel is on the way, but I think that one thing that needs to be worked on are, like others have said, the ability to perform more special and finishing moves. Some of the ways to kill are ingenius, though. That dude who runs around with the giant scissors/shears in the Frank level: Nicking them off him and then cutting him up, haha. It's sadistic but it had me in stitches.

Another thing is if you get to a Boss Battle and die, you should be able to continue from the start of the Boss Battle. I think having to go through the whole level again can make the game more repetitive than it needs to be. This doesn't just apply to Madworld, but all games that do this. Aside from that, I'm very happy that I initially spent money on this and I can't wait to play some more. :)

Another thing is if you get to a Boss Battle and die, you should be able to continue from the start of the Boss Battle. I think having to go through the whole level again can make the game more repetitive than it needs to be. This doesn't just apply to Madworld, but all games that do this. Aside from that, I'm very happy that I initially spent money on this and I can't wait to play some more. :)

after you've slogged away for up to 30 mins to get to a boss, it would be nice if it allowed you to save. Given Madworld's biggest flaw is repetition, it certainly makes it all the worse. Even the levels, which should be gimmick laden heavy tend to feel a touch light at times. What it also does is lengthen the game, if only in an artificial sense - you aren't covering any new ground, you're just doing what never got saved.

Given the levels take up to 30 mins and then the boss battle, there's no real way to dip into the game for a quick blast as it were. You do have to set a bit of time aside if you want to accomplish something. It's not that much of an issue on the early levels, but if you fancied just having a go on one of the castle levels or alien one, to see it to the end becomes a task larger than you were perhaps looking for.

after you've slogged away for up to 30 mins to get to a boss, it would be nice if it allowed you to save. Given Madworld's biggest flaw is repetition, it certainly makes it all the worse. Even the levels, which should be gimmick laden heavy tend to feel a touch light at times. What it also does is lengthen the game, if only in an artificial sense - you aren't covering any new ground, you're just doing what never got saved.

Given the levels take up to 30 mins and then the boss battle, there's no real way to dip into the game for a quick blast as it were. You do have to set a bit of time aside if you want to accomplish something. It's not that much of an issue on the early levels, but if you fancied just having a go on one of the castle levels or alien one, to see it to the end becomes a task larger than you were perhaps looking for.

I'd agree with all of that. When I have played this game, I've played until the end of one level, and then stopped to do something else. Most of the time because of my lifestyle, but in a way that has helped it becoming toooo repetitive for me. The save function before a battle would be a great little touch. Also, maybe a save feature before the midlevel Deathwatch challenges which the Baron demonstrates? So, you could save before this challenge, before the boss fight, and then after the boss fight? That's three saves compared to just the one which you get after the boss fight. Much, much better imo.

I'd agree with all of that. When I have played this game, I've played until the end of one level, and then stopped to do something else. Most of the time because of my lifestyle, but in a way that has helped it becoming toooo repetitive for me. The save function before a battle would be a great little touch. Also, maybe a save feature before the midlevel Deathwatch challenges which the Baron demonstrates? So, you could save before this challenge, before the boss fight, and then after the boss fight? That's three saves compared to just the one which you get after the boss fight. Much, much better imo.

The only problem with saves in time based games is saving at points that wouldn't actually allow you to finish the level because you don't have enough time remaining.

So a permanent save before the boss and after would work fine but mid-level might be tricky. I think they should allow for a suspend save function which would allow you to turn off the machine at any time and then load back up at the same point (with the same score and health). That way, it works better to your playing habits and you could play as little or as much of a level as you wanted and carry on later.

The concept of being unable to save mid-mission in games is a baffling one at best...

The only problem with saves in time based games is saving at points that wouldn't actually allow you to finish the level because you don't have enough time remaining.

So a permanent save before the boss and after would work fine but mid-level might be tricky. I think they should allow for a suspend save function which would allow you to turn off the machine at any time and then load back up at the same point (with the same score and health). That way, it works better to your playing habits and you could play as little or as much of a level as you wanted and carry on later.

The concept of being unable to save mid-mission in games is a baffling one at best...

That's a very good point, I almost forgot about the timer.

Your solution with the suspended save is probably the best answer to that problem. Another game which could maybe benefit from a save function is de Blob. When I play this with Ine, we really, really have to set time aside to play it. Sometimes the levels take hours to clear, from start to finish. So, if we needed to go out at a certain point or do something else, we would lose so much game data...I think de Blob is more in need of a save function than Madworld, but they could both really benefit from it.

That's a very good point, I almost forgot about the timer.

Your solution with the suspended save is probably the best answer to that problem. Another game which could maybe benefit from a save function is de Blob. When I play this with Ine, we really, really have to set time aside to play it. Sometimes the levels take hours to clear, from start to finish. So, if we needed to go out at a certain point or do something else, we would lose so much game data...I think de Blob is more in need of a save function than Madworld, but they could both really benefit from it.

Well I can't speak for de Blob, but the more I think about it (and I wasn't until you brought it up, even though I have been playing it for the last week) some of Madworld's more obvious flaws could definitely have been resolved with a more intuitive save system.

Well I can't speak for de Blob, but the more I think about it (and I wasn't until you brought it up, even though I have been playing it for the last week) some of Madworld's more obvious flaws could definitely have been resolved with a more intuitive save system.

I can speak for deBlob, and i kinda like the "whole level at once" feel, makes me put aside a couple of hours each time i want to play a stage. Would be nice if it remembered what you'd done on the level after you complete it tho. Madworld is agreed - should definitely let you save before boss fights, as should all games. The number of games i've stopped playing at the end when there are multiple final boss fights without saving in-between...

Does anyone know the NPD numbers for this? I'd be curious to know how well its sold.

Not a huge amount at all.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=22383&region=All