NEurope
The fish

The Bi-Annual Exam Thread!

What, you only have to learn a single poem? A single play? A single short story? Man, I forgot how easy pre-uni stuff was *looks at his 1500-page romantic poetry anthology, the 4 novels combining to 2000-pages...*

You lot; when you've done your english exams, if you can bare to remember, could you post your questions on here?

I have 4 exams, beginning in 3 weeks. Currently trying to get assignment after assignment after assignment done and handed in on time.

...and you all though I spent my time jumping out of planes...:p

What, you only have to learn a single poem? A single play? A single short story? Man, I forgot how easy pre-uni stuff was *looks at his 1500-page romantic poetry anthology, the 4 novels combining to 2000-pages...*

You lot; when you've done your english exams, if you can bare to remember, could you post your questions on here?

Well tbh I think that doing two proper essays on questions you havn't done before in an hour and a half is pretty challenging. Sure obviously not as hard as your Uni work but like other people have said its more of a memory game than actual skill or intellect.

I don't even know where to start!! Ive learnt like 1 poem, and a non fiction text.. *prays*

But seriously. I think english is shit - and shouldn't be compulsory.

The thing is, I probably would have taken it anyway, but I hate how you have no choice in the matter.

Higher maths isnt compulsory here :S

is it?

In my school English is compulsory up until 5th year and you can drop maths after 4th year (Standard Grades) and as far as I know it's always been like that.

I did Higher English 2 years ago (which apparently is widely recognised as being the hardest one they've set for years!) I learnt a novel, a play, short-story and 2 poems. Had to learn loads of quotes from each of them and other stuff.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/downloadpastpaper.htm?id=1495

That's last years' paper there.

Nah but I did do Geography and Computing this year, Computing is easy but are you actually finding geography easy as well?!?! Well the human stuff is easy but I find the physical stuff really really hard.

I'm the opposite! I really like the physical stuff (especially biosphere! :D), but I can't be fucked with Industry and population and things..

English tomorrow!

Not quite English, but I found a couple questions from lingusitics final papers you'll probably like. (both 3-hour essays)

"No language is an island." Discuss.

"Meaning is not in the world, it is in the mind." Discuss.

Also an awesome past paper essay question from a past paper of the evolution exam I'm taking in a few weeks. (only 40 odd minutes for this one)

Are chimpanzees more intelligent than goldfish?

Well technically you should learn a range of them so that you have plenty to use depending on what the questions are, but I'm doing it a year early in half the class time so we only have one poem, one short story and one novel. Thing is, we never actually finished reading the novel because we ran out of time, so we are pretty restricted in our choices.

I've never seen it done that way in my life, yet that way is quite satisfactory.

Normally I just half the x coefficient, then minus the square of that, then add the constant, which is confusing to explain but works.

Wait a sec, expanding (x-10)^2 - 82 gives you x^2 - 20x + 18.

You have to half the x coefficient.

I get

(x - 5)^2 -25 + 18 = 0

Thus (x - 5)^2 -7 = x^2 - 10x + 18

Yeah that's how I do it.

(x+k/2)-(k/2)²+c <-where k is the coefficient of x.

'Lets start with...'

Should the 'lets' have an apostrophe?

'Lets start with...'

Should the 'lets' have an apostrophe?

Yes, because it's a contraction of "let us".

Well technically you should learn a range of them so that you have plenty to use depending on what the questions are, but I'm doing it a year early in half the class time so we only have one poem, one short story and one novel. Thing is, we never actually finished reading the novel because we ran out of time, so we are pretty restricted in our choices.

You should really have finished the novel yourself.

My class was a guinea pig class for my school and we did Standard Grade in one year (did it at the end of 3rd year) and then did Int 2 in 4th year in half the time which you should because of timetable issues and then Higher in 5th year.

Can't remember 4th year but for Higher we were made to read the novel (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, great book) during the Summer holiday. We went over the play (Hamlet) together.

Actually in 4th year we did go over the novel in class chapter by chapter but we were still asked to read it over the Summer. Not enough time isn't really an excuse when you're only in school for 6 hours a day.

I wonder which song I'll have in my head when I sit my first exam? (I always have a song in my head for some reason during exams)

You should really have finished the novel yourself.

My class was a guinea pig class for my school and we did Standard Grade in one year (did it at the end of 3rd year) and then did Int 2 in 4th year in half the time which you should because of timetable issues and then Higher in 5th year.

Can't remember 4th year but for Higher we were made to read the novel (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, great book) during the Summer holiday. We went over the play (Hamlet) together.

Actually in 4th year we did go over the novel in class chapter by chapter but we were still asked to read it over the Summer. Not enough time isn't really an excuse when you're only in school for 6 hours a day.

Yeah thats the schedule we are doing too. Did SG last year and Int 2 this, in 3 periods a week (when it's supposed to be 5 or 6). I did finish reading the book (The Crucible) at home but I didn't really understand much of it and I wouldn't trust myself to write an essay on it effectively.

I've got "On The Sidewalk Bleeding" by Evan Hunter and "In the Snackbar" by Edwin Morgan as the things we've studied, plus "Afternoons" by Philip Larkin which I did as my personal study, but again I wouldn't trust myself to write an essay on it for the exam unless In the Snackbar really didn't fit any of the questions.

testing to see if I can post...

EDIT: Well I'm trying to post some likely questions of my own, but it seems I CANNOT. Too many words, or something. Sigh.

Q2. “While Romantic poets wrote about the problem of social oppression their poetry offered no answers to this problem.†Discuss with reference to the poetry studied on this module.

Q3. “Imagination meant different things to different poets.†Discuss how ideas about the imagination find expression in Romantic poetry.

Q4. Coleridge wrote to a friend, "Metaphysics and poetry and ‘facts of mind’ (i.e. accounts of all the strange phantasms that ever possessed your philosophy-dreamers) are my darling studies… I love chemistry." Discuss the relationship between science AND/OR opium and poetry of this period.

EDIT2: Seems I have a limit of about 800chars worth of info max I can send. Nice.

Hmm, finally got a timetable for my exams, though it's still not set in stone until May 28.

Monday June 9: Literature at 9 am

Wednesday June 11: Psychology at 9 am (open book)

Friday June 13: Contemporary Art at 9 am

Tuesday June 17: Art History (Middle Ages + Early Modern Europe), oral exam at 9:15 am

Thursday June 19: Sociology oral exam at 2:20 pm

Glad they spread it out over the two weeks, since I'll need the time to study (probably won't be able to start till the week beforehand). Last two exams will probably be the worst, since I hate oral ones. >.<;

I wonder which song I'll have in my head when I sit my first exam? (I always have a song in my head for some reason during exams)

Lmao, I had Simple The Best by Tina Turner stuck in my head just before my exam on Monday but it went out just in time fortunately.

Yeah thats the schedule we are doing too. Did SG last year and Int 2 this, in 3 periods a week (when it's supposed to be 5 or 6). I did finish reading the book (The Crucible) at home but I didn't really understand much of it and I wouldn't trust myself to write an essay on it effectively.

I've got "On The Sidewalk Bleeding" by Evan Hunter and "In the Snackbar" by Edwin Morgan as the things we've studied, plus "Afternoons" by Philip Larkin which I did as my personal study, but again I wouldn't trust myself to write an essay on it for the exam unless In the Snackbar really didn't fit any of the questions.

The Crucible is a play, isn't it? :heh: I did that for Int 2 too and didn't understand it at all at the time! Actually I didn't really understand anything for Int 2, somehow scraped a C. Very dissapointed that I only got a C for higher as all the way through the year I was getting high Bs for my essays!

We did a Larkin poem for Higher but I can't rememeber for the life of me what it's called. Possibly something about a Church in Assisi or is that someone else? It was huge and I learnt it off-heart. For Int 2 we did "Glasgow 5 March 1971" which at the time I knew really well and for some reason I do still know it quite well.

God I can't wait for next year.

I hate oral ones. >.<;

Must... resist... innuendo...

The Crucible is a play, isn't it? :heh: I did that for Int 2 too and didn't understand it at all at the time! Actually I didn't really understand anything for Int 2, somehow scraped a C. Very dissapointed that I only got a C for higher as all the way through the year I was getting high Bs for my essays!

We did a Larkin poem for Higher but I can't rememeber for the life of me what it's called. Possibly something about a Church in Assisi or is that someone else? It was huge and I learnt it off-heart. For Int 2 we did "Glasgow 5 March 1971" which at the time I knew really well and for some reason I do still know it quite well.

Play, novel, same difference. It was a book, it had pages and sentences and words and stuff :indeed:

I can totally see why The Crucible is good as a text for English exams since it has so many themes you can write about (bullying, peer pressure, relationships, persecution, etc) but it's really confusing until you've read it a few times which I frankly couldn't be bothered to do. I just didn't bother studying it at all once we stopped doing it in class. I somehow got an A in my prelim, 71% when the A mark was 70. Doubt I'll manage that again though, think it was something of a fluke since English is generally one of my weakest subjects.

We studied Glasgow 5th March at Standard Grade I think, seem to remember writing something on it at some point in the past. Can't even remember what it was about though!

By scanning this thread, I have to admit, I have no exams coming up in the near future. Suffice to say, I'm thrilled.

I hate not bothering to revise for english until today.

Got disqualified from my physics practical today (well, apparantly it's pretty likely i'll get disqualified). Didn't do anything wrong and i'm incredibly pissed off. I'm currently writing a letter to the head teacher to explain the situation and what ACTUALLY happened and then i'll post it on here afterwards.

Really don't want to lose 60 marks :(

Got disqualified from my physics practical today (well, apparantly it's pretty likely i'll get disqualified). Didn't do anything wrong and i'm incredibly pissed off. I'm currently writing a letter to the head teacher to explain the situation and what ACTUALLY happened and then i'll post it on here afterwards.

Really don't want to lose 60 marks :(

Fuck me, that's bad.

You need to contact you're school's exams officer too, and possibly the exam board if they wont do it on your behalf.

(I mean, Silas Marner was completely ruined when we had to dissect it to find a "moral fable" in it)

Just have to say, I HATE Silas Marner.

Had to do it for GCSE English Literature. What a terribly boring book.

Nothing happens. He loses money, finds baby, they grow up. Some idiot falls off a horse. That's about it.

Reading books = fun.

Analysing them = not fun.

Probably why i'm studying english language, not lit.

Hmm, finally got a timetable for my exams, though it's still not set in stone until May 28.

Monday June 9: Literature at 9 am

Wednesday June 11: Psychology at 9 am (open book)

Friday June 13: Contemporary Art at 9 am

Tuesday June 17: Art History (Middle Ages + Early Modern Europe), oral exam at 9:15 am

Thursday June 19: Sociology oral exam at 2:20 pm

Glad they spread it out over the two weeks, since I'll need the time to study (probably won't be able to start till the week beforehand). Last two exams will probably be the worst, since I hate oral ones. >.<;

...I thought you were doing a multimedia/design degree/course?