NEurope
The fish

The Bi-Annual Exam Thread!

British Poetry 1740-1850 on friday, then Experiments in Realism [novel] next wednesday.

As above. Until earlier today I thought the day/exam was the other way round and have been revising for the last one instead of the first one. Not too bothered, I know I can pass, and I gave up on aiming for a first grade degree in the first semester of the second year. And once they're done... Christ, I don't know what I'll do, I'll have months of freedom.

Here come the GCSEs.

Bring them on. Until I feel pressured by them I can't actually do any productive revision.

I have Higher English this Thursday...

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

(having done little to no revision for all 5 highers, I have high hopes)

Here come the GCSEs.

Bring them on. Until I feel pressured by them I can't actually do any productive revision.

I've done little revision either, except for maths (since the entire year group got a U in the mocks thanks to Edexcel's incompetence).

Wow that's scary... People talking about GCSEs... I did mine 5 years ago :(

NOW I feel old ;_;

Edexcel fucked up our maths when I did it too... They put higher level stuff on intermediate papers! *luckily I did higher level and was prepared* :D

So no change there....

I had general studies today, and one on thursday. Ive also got

20/05 Geography AS Physical, Human and Techniques

21/05 Maths M1

22/05 Physics AS

02/06 Maths C1 resit & C2

3 Exams for me this year starting end of the month.

Though I've got 3 assignments in for friday which I'm shitting my pants about. Hoping to get them all done by Wednesday.

Mine started May 2nd. Done 3 so far, with 5 more to go. Next is English on Thursday, not sure how well I'll do it that since I've completely forgotten the two texts we are supposed to write essays on for it, but if all else fails I got an A in the prelim so I can always appeal :p

Out of curiosity, can anybody work out this equation for me:

x² - 10x + 18 = (x - a)² + b

Find the value of a and b.

That was in the Credit Standard Grade paper, which in England is equivalent to an A or B at GCSE. How the hell do you find a or b, when there are 3 variables in the equation and nothing is given? Literally up there I've written everything we were given in the question. Nobody in the exam room got it from asking around afterwards. My dad couldn't get it. I swear, it's a misprint of some sort, but it's been really bugging me.

Mine started May 2nd. Done 3 so far, with 5 more to go. Next is English on Thursday, not sure how well I'll do it that since I've completely forgotten the two texts we are supposed to write essays on for it, but if all else fails I got an A in the prelim so I can always appeal :p

That was in the Credit Standard Grade paper, which in England is equivalent to an A or B at GCSE. How the hell do you find a or b, when there are 3 variables in the equation and nothing is given? Literally up there I've written everything we were given in the question. Nobody in the exam room got it from asking around afterwards. My dad couldn't get it. I swear, it's a misprint of some sort, but it's been really bugging me.

You need to separate up the 18 and factorise the quadratic(i think). Then you should get the square and the "b" will be whats left of the 18. If I wasn't sick of maths for

today I'd do it. :P

EDIT: Okay, I'm thinking and I can't work it out. I know what to do but it's not working...I'd say you're right and it's a misprint. :S

Quote:

x² - 10x + 18 = (x - a)² + b

Find the value of a and b.

Completing the square!

x² -10x = -18 ______________________ Take constant to the other side

x² - 10x + 100 = 100-18 ______________Add (coeff of x)² to each side

(x-10)(x-10) = 82 ___________________ Factorise the LHS, resolve the RHS

(x-10)² = 82 _______________________ Convert LHS to (x-a)²

(x-10)² - 82 _________________________ ....

x² - 10x + 18 = (x-10)² - 82 ___________ Profit!

Completing the square!

x² -10x = -18

x² - 10x + 100 = 100-18

(x-10)(x-10) = 82

(x-10)² = 82

(x-10)² - 82

Ah I see.

I tried it again a different way(probably wrong), and managed to get a and b but different answers. :S

Completing the square!

x² -10x = -18 ______________________ Take constant to the other side

x² - 10x + 100 = 100-18 ______________Add (coeff of x)² to each side

(x-10)(x-10) = 82 ___________________ Factorise the LHS, resolve the RHS

(x-10)² = 82 _______________________ Convert LHS to (x-a)²

(x-10)² - 82 _________________________ ....

x² - 10x + 18 = (x-10)² - 82 ___________ Profit!

Where does that 100 come from?

Where does that 100 come from?

It's the co-eff of x (in this case, -10), squared. You can add it to both sides as they would cancel out if you wanted them too.

My exams are in less than a months time, yet I still haven't received my time table. Nor have I been able to start studying yet. I haven't even -read- through any of my course books yet due to all the work. >.<;

I still don't see where that comes from. Why the 10 in particular, why squared?

Is this A Level, or GCSE level stuff btw? I don't remember this in any course work or past papers :p

I still don't see where that comes from. Why the 10 in particular, why squared?

Is this A Level, or GCSE level stuff btw? I don't remember this in any course work or past papers :p

I did at AS personally, but only when our teacher discovered we didn't already know it...

Regardless of the co-eff of x, it's what you need to add to both sides to be able to complete the square, and therefore factorise it.

Do what I did to your equation with ax² + bx + c = 0, and you'll get out the famous quadratic formula.

Hmm, ok. I'm only at Standard Grade Maths though, we have done a little Higher Stuff to fill time because we were a bit ahead but I have no idea why thats come up in a SG exam:wtf:

But at least I'll have a head start now for next year I guess:awesome:

Hmm, ok. I'm only at Standard Grade Maths though, we have done a little Higher Stuff to fill time because we were a bit ahead but I have no idea why thats come up in a SG exam:wtf:

But at least I'll have a head start now for next year I guess:awesome:

I suppose you could have used the quadratic formula, which is derived by completing the square.

If you need any more maths (or geography or physics) help in the future, MSN me!

I suppose you could have used the quadratic formula, which is derived by completing the square.

If you need any more maths (or geography or physics) help in the future, MSN me!

I experimented with the quadratic formula, but without adding that 100, and got nowhere:heh:

Thanks though, thats been bugging me since Thursday.:bowdown:

I had an exam today which wasn't too bad considering I basically learnt the module in 3 or 4 days but now I have a 2 week gap until my last ever exam at uni.....unless i fuck up and have to retake. Then I have to figure out what im gonna do with my life....

I experimented with the quadratic formula, but without adding that 100, and got nowhere:heh:

Thanks though, thats been bugging me since Thursday.:bowdown:

I guess (albeit several days too late) it's lucky for you I had to re-learn how to complete the square when it popped up in a practice C4 paper...

Actually, talking of C4...

Can you say all the C1-6, M1-4, S1-4, and D1-2 (or are there more D's?) past papers and mark schemes EVER?

I can. How useful...

Two practical exams next week. Should be straight forward really. My written exams don't start til June.

6th - M3

11th - Physics Unifying Concepts

12th - Chemistry Unifying Concepts

16th - FP1

17th - Cosmology

19th - Trends and Patterns/MAD

20th - FP3 (joy oh joy...)

I need to average a 70% in my last three Maths exams to get an A in Further Maths overall (already got an A in normal Maths). And I need an A in order to get into uni.

You C4 people have it easy, it's actually quite a nice exam. Just make damn sure you know your integration.

Explain to me. What exams are these? I'm curious about your education system. We only have exams in 2 months or so.