NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

...Any point in upgrading?

I've had my PC for about a year or so now, its starting to show a little. Team Fortress 2 maxed out at 1440X900 barely gets over 20fps at times and lowering detail/FFAA etc doesn't make any difference.

My current specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600

8800GTS 640

3GB ram

Asus P5N-E motherboard

Is there any point in upgrading my PC? Any new stuff out soon that'd blow my PC out of the water? (i know the 9800 is out, but apparently based on the 8800GT G92... so i'd wait till the 9900 probably.)

All this graphics card shizzle has been annoying me, how many version of the 8800 can you get, seriously? I'm sticking with my 7950gt til they sort themselves the hell out! :heh:

If you've got your system clocked surely it'll last a while yet? Maybe worth holding on and keeping tabs in pc mags/internet, see if there's new stuff on the horizon..

That doesn't play TF2 maxed out? I'd say something else is slowing your computer down because the 8800 is still and amazing card and this Dual Core should suffice as well.

About upgrading:

Graphics Card certainly not at the moment because the 9x00 Series is more of an update than a new series imo.

The Processor should also be good enough, after all most games only use the two cores. And I'd wait with upgrading the processor because Socket 775 will be discontinued (not sure how to put it) because Nahelem needs a new Socket. So you should be able to get a Socket 775 processor for cheap in half a year.

E6600 that's 2.4GHz right?

TBH those stats seem pretty good. Unless you're one of those people who just want to have a top of the line PC just to lord it over other gamers then you shouldn't need any more ATM.

And it doesn't really matter too much about other stuff coming out. Yeah it will be faster but the stuff you buy will still be as fast as it was. A core 2 duo isn't gonna start being slower just because quad core is out.

I agree with Konfucious, it must be something else slowing your pc down.

Get some faster memory? Also wait for the next generation graphics cards coming in the summer. If i remember you have a Maxtor HDD as well yeah? If so get a new, fast Seagate/Western Digital one. They bench like crazy.

It's definitely not specs, i just checked and i can run TF2 with everything maxed out and get 40-60fps (but that's on Jailbreak, not tested an official map).

If i can get that your comp should have no bother:

AMD BE-2300 oc'd to 2.4GHz

ATi Radeon x1950XTX

2GB PC2-6400

*Jordan*

I don't really have that much running to be honest (anti virus, sidebar but i have a tonne of ram left over)... i have the latest nvidia drivers, i don't have anything overclocked i don't have any viruses or spyware or anything like that.

Doesn't hardware deteriorate (sp?) over a period of time?

Also, my RAM is only DDR533 and my HDD is already a 7200 SATA300 Seagate Barracuda... Caris who seems to think all Maxtors are instantly evil :p

depends how much you use it....

Generally speaking I think it takes a good 2 years of heavy use before you need to look at a new pc.

(in my experience anyway)

You don't have anything Overclocked?

Why? It's just performance being left there untouched for no reason. The system you have should be able to go to 3ghz+ and you could easily OC your GPU...

Intel core 2 duo E4500 @2.2GHz

2GB RAM

9800GT

I was thinking maybe upgrading the RAM to 3GB. Should I OC and if so how do I do it?

You don't have anything Overclocked?

Well, i still have the stock cooler on my CPU. Which does need to be changed at some point... >_> I will around then.

My GPU has a huge cooler (bigger than the average...) on it, so thats possible.

I'd say there's something wrong with your computer. Team Fortress 2 isn't a heavy game, it uses the HL2 engine which is four years old... Also, lowering AA and AF should work, so there's something else bottlenecking it.

If you really want to upgrade, my only advice is to buy a good Scythe CPU cooler and try to make it run 3 GHz. New graphics cards will cost too much and give you pretty much nothing.

To solve this problem, you could probably do a reinstall of TF2 or Windows.

I've never done a reinstall since i've had my machine (over a year now).

I am getting some frame rate stops in UT3 as well. Like, pauses for 2 seconds or so. Maybe it is time i did a format... But i'd lose so many settings T_T.

*sigh* It might have to be done.

How often do you run programmes like CrapCleaner or Spybot through it? If you haven't in a while, could help perk it up. Cleaning out excess dust can do no end of good too.

I run CCCleaner every 2-3 weeks and Spybot every couple of weeks. I maintain my computer to a very high standard.

As for dust? My case doesn't allow dust to get in and it has little washable fan thingies so i can remove the dust really easy when sticks. Its basically as spotless as when i bought it, no shit.

no shit.

None of that in mine either. Has there been in previous computers you've owned?

(Ba-dum tisch!)

But seriously, do what others have said and give it a format. Can't hurt to try.

Formatted, got Vista SP1 running (after 3 fucking attempts...), OC the CPU to 2.8ghz (stable... 3ghz wasn't having it.) running much quicker. Downloading some games on Steam now to try it out and will report later!

I'm very surprised that a technical fella like yourself didn't have your pc overclocked!

Well, i did... its just it makes my PC a little noisey since i'm still running a stock cooler.

*Looks into Scythe MINE*

And Bought!

So... Ran UT3.

Far more stable, much quicker (unless theres a **** load going on :D) but now it seems to crash for no reason sometimes whilst loading levels. Hmph... nice one Epic.

Downloading TF2 right now.

Sign in to follow this