NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nekunando

PC Slow after returning to factory settings

This has frustrated me.. last year, my computer stopped doing most things and therefore I decided to restore everything to factory settings and start from scratch. That was fine, the computer worked great and it was nice to be back to work with a clean slate!

However, this morning I decided after a few weeks of having several things stop working for me that I was again going to go and restore everything to factory settings. Now I have a problem.. everything is crawling along at a snails pace and it is practically unusable and I can't find a way to fix it :hmm: The computer was running well before the restore (apart from the odd thing not working)

I have a Packard Bell with Windows XP and I really need help!

When you say restore to factory settings, I assume you mean that you used the Windows XP disc to start anew?

In which case, have you installed all the drivers for your graphics card and all the other bits and pieces?

To check:

Right click on My computer > manage > Device manager.

When I restored last year, I didn't have a disc and held in F11 to bring up the option to go back to factory settings.. and it worked great. When I started the computer back up that time, it prompted me to make a recovery disc.. and so I did. The problem there is I used the disc this time and it has not turned out as wished.. and F11 isn't coming to the rescue any more :hmm:

I have the Device Manager up, but don't know what I'm looking for..

EDIT: It's basically scrolling and moving objects which the computer is having problems with. Trying to scroll down these web pages is total punishment.. and moving windows around the screen is something which is making me consider computer demolition..

if you want to restore your computer the best bet is to use the Windows XP disk (not a recovery disk), put it in your PC, boot up (it will ask you to press a key to boot from CD), format your hard drive and install a fresh installation of Windows. Do you have an XP disk?

Also, since your latest 'restore', have you installed all your graphics drivers and updated to Service Pack 3?

Reading your edit there...

That's absolutely a graphics issue I remember that from formatting my PC. You need to get a graphics driver. :)

If you know what graphics card you have you can just get one from the manufacturers website!

If your on device manager it will likely be under Display adapters. You can update the driver by right clicking and update driver, I think. If you have the CD for the drivers stick it in, if not try a search on teh internets through the wizard.

Hey.. just to let you all know that I spent a lot of the day at it and managed to get everything working (one of my proudest computing moments :heh:) ..but one thing I do see is that every time I turn the computer on, I get a black screen asking me to choose between MS DOS and Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition..

It's not a huge problem, but if I could easily get rid of it, I would :heh:

Hey.. just to let you all know that I spent a lot of the day at it and managed to get everything working (one of my proudest computing moments :heh:) ..but one thing I do see is that every time I turn the computer on, I get a black screen asking me to choose between MS DOS and Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition..

It's not a huge problem, but if I could easily get rid of it, I would :heh:

you probs partitioned your HD all you need to do is to poke around in control panel and find the bit where you can managed disk space. and delete the "ms-dos" partition.

Sign in to follow this