NEurope
Jamba

The Future of Pokemon

Puzzle/platformer. You take 12 pokemon with different abilities and do a Kameo-eque thing where you have to use their moves to progress, like using agility with Pikachu to spin a fan to open a door. Then you make it a little Ico, your character is the trainer, but one hit and he's dead, so you have to command the pokemon to guide the trainer through unharmed. Then you make it a little Four Swords and make it co-op. BAM, there's your idea.

Oh yeah, and the front covers for the new Dungeon games are so so so so so nice. I dont want the game at all, but man I want the covers in my collection. Maybe if I see one on the cheap in America. :yay:

Tales of Symphonia's game engine, same visual style, same battle concept just built around pokemon with obviously a changed world and characters. Special pokemon would keep a distance and 'charge spells' to use their attacks, where as physical pokemon would go straight in slashing away. You'd release your pokemon in teams, like how sometimes that happened in the anime, or standard one on one. Legendary pokemon could also act as boss fights. Would certainly add plenty of new dynamics to the game. But keep the whole ability to catch and train wild pokemon and create a perfect team from the turn based rpg game. Finally, make it a MMORPG and we have my idea for the ultimate pokemon game.

Charge Spells? Magic? No offense everyone but a lot of your ideas have nothing to do with pokemon and cant even be related in any way :p

Problem with the ToS system as well is you are controlling the pokemon. All pokemon games should be controlled through the trainer, otherwise it is the same as any other game.

Puzzle/platformer. You take 12 pokemon with different abilities and do a Kameo-eque thing where you have to use their moves to progress, like using agility with Pikachu to spin a fan to open a door. Then you make it a little Ico, your character is the trainer, but one hit and he's dead, so you have to command the pokemon to guide the trainer through unharmed. Then you make it a little Four Swords and make it co-op. BAM, there's your idea.

Liking this idea a lot and it's what I had in mind but it seemed a bit like the idea for the Mystery Dungeon (which I haven't played though).

Charge Spells? Magic? No offense everyone but a lot of your ideas have nothing to do with pokemon and cant even be related in any way :p

So feeling your pain. If people want to make suggestions to improve the RPG then I'm all ears but please try to fully understand the game that you are trying to tinker-with and the technical limitation that go with it. Think of something that could actually be made please.

Problem with the ToS system as well is you are controlling the pokemon. All pokemon games should be controlled through the trainer, otherwise it is the same as any other game.

Aren't you contradicting the game design you just talked about :wtf:

Also, I'm not sure if this is the case. As long as the relationship is there and is clear and present, then I don't think that controlling the Pokemon instead of the Human character is a problem. But you have given me a new idea though...

... Pokemon manager type game anyone (like a football manager game)? You play as the trainer, and you get to train your Pokemon, get their individual moves stronger and prepare them for the battle. After that it's pretty much well up to them. You can watch the battle unleash in front of you allowing you to only control the use of power ups. You could also shout out tactics which would change how your little AI Pokemon fights but this would be indirect control. Shout out encouragement or try and get your Pokemon to pace itself. This could introduce factors that are long overdue in Pokemon, like fatigue and morale.

I think that this would really express that combination that trainers feel between being vitally important and emotionally invested yet completely powerless to actually act in battle.

POKEMON KART! :grin:

With all 493 Pokemon.... :heh:

To improve it i think that they need to make the story of the actual game a little deeper and have you go on side quests with in the pokemon world. Make it into a more believable living and breathing Universe giving the people in it more personality and character.

At the moment there are a few things you can do aside from the main adventure but I would like to see more and not just train up my pokemon and progress to the next battle.

I'm all for another RPG game! I like the combat system in Pokemon turn based battle doesn't annoy me but they need to make the battle system better. How? I'm not sure...

I haven't thought much about this! :)

I like this. It's kinda what I was thinking for my previous "Orange Island" suggestion, but you said it way better.

About the 3D Pokémon RPG people have been suggesting...It sounds useless. I mean, it's not going to open the door to new mechanics, or anything, so why bother, when the handheld versions work so well already?

The ToS battle system idea could work, but we'd either have very few pokémon in the game, or plenty of them, but there would barely be any difference between them.

They can go 3D, as long as they don't cock up like Sonic Team....

Personally, I'd like to see proper re-releases of R/B/Y & G/S/C, maybe on DS VC or something.

Then after that, maybe a much more non-linear RPG. Plays like the originals, though you can play in all 4 regions. You start from whichever town you want, and develop your player that way. Would be good if it was on a home console, 'cause you could also have amazing online, and the underground and secret bases would be used better.

Alternatively, why not a Gym Sim? You start by designing your layout, putting traps and puzzles in. You first have 2 trainers to include. The more successful your gym is, you wage budget increase and you can hire more trainers. You can also decide opening/closing times. When the gym is closed, you can improve it, or train/catch your pokémon. If your gym is deemed good enough, you may wish to add another gym elsewhere, then decide who should run the other gym while you're away at your new one.

The depth you can have for the ideas is endless. :D

Pokémon's going to die if it doesn't sort itself out. The latest versions of the game, though alright, were just the same old stuff.

It also doesn't help that it makes your previously trained Pokémon seem SHIT, by making it so if you trained them on the latest game, they would have naturally learned more, better moves...WTF!?

Pokémon needs to change direction quite a bit, though not too much, and by that, I don't mean adding more stupid competitions that John Barrowman should be rating.

One thing that should come back is Team Rocket.

Personally, I'd like to see proper re-releases of R/B/Y

That was a proper re-release.

They were completly revamped to the modern way Pokémon works, while still keeping the original games feeling.

Pokémon's going to die if it doesn't sort itself out. The latest versions of the game, though alright, were just the same old stuff.

It also doesn't help that it makes your previously trained Pokémon seem SHIT, by making it so if you trained them on the latest game, they would have naturally learned more, better moves...WTF!?

Pokémon needs to change direction quite a bit, though not too much, and by that, I don't mean adding more stupid competitions that John Barrowman should be rating.

One thing that should come back is Team Rocket.

That was a proper re-release.

They were completly revamped to the modern way Pokémon works, while still keeping the original games feeling.

I guess. It just lacked the charm for me. Like I said, maybe a VC release is due?

I guess. It just lacked the charm for me.

Maybe that's because you've realised that on some level, even with the graphical differences that the game is EXACTLY THE SAME. Of course it's lost its charm.

Maybe that's because you've realised that on some level, even with the graphical differences that the game is EXACTLY THE SAME. Of course it's lost its charm.

Yeah, that sounds about right. :blank:

Charge up a psychic attack or an ice beam is what I meant, similar to how spells are cast in Symphonia. That seems pretty plausible to me. It relates to pokemon about as much as turn based battling does. Please, feel free to come up with some ideas yourself then. :indeed:

So feeling your pain. If people want to make suggestions to improve the RPG then I'm all ears but please try to fully understand the game that you are trying to tinker-with and the technical limitation that go with it. Think of something that could actually be made please.

:blank:

They should make a A 3D RPG with Bioware.

It would be more story-based then any Pokémon, but everywhere would still be explorable. Pokémon would wonder round on their own in the wild - of course to save on some resources only the first 151 will be in the game.

Combat would be you taking direct control of the Pokémon (taking direct control of Pokémon would also be necessary for exploring the land and progressing) and fight (real-time). Projectile attacks would be automatically locked onto the position of the other Pokémon, but can be done manually (which would be necessary for battling the faster Pokémon).

If you tone it down to it's simplest (like two ground-based Pokémon with only punches and kicks) it would work a bit like a fighting game, except that the environment can be used.

I'd certainly get a Pokémon game like that.

Charge up a psychic attack or an ice beam is what I meant, similar to how spells are cast in Symphonia. That seems pretty plausible to me. It relates to pokemon about as much as turn based battling does. Please, feel free to come up with some ideas yourself then. :indeed:

I think this has potential but the basis of the original battle system is that in general most moves take 1 turn and therefore all take the same amount of time. Most of the tactics came from choosing an appropriate move depending on the affect not really the time it took to perform that move. I think it would be a good way of differentiating some of the very similar moves and add a lot of extra depth to the gameplay.

Couple of specific proglems though. If you apply this to the RPG formula as it is right now, you could have a massive difference in size on screen between even your own Pokemon. This could make playing kind of difficult. Also, this still suffers from the "3D RPG please!" problem of too many pokemon and too much to animate. The work load would be horrendous, it takes up huge amounts of storage on the disc and it would need lots and lots more programming for 3D. Unfortunately, all this man power investment makes the title almost completely unfeasable.

They should make a A 3D RPG with Bioware.

It would be more story-based then any Pokémon, but everywhere would still be explorable. Pokémon would wonder round on their own in the wild - of course to save on some resources only the first 151 will be in the game.

Combat would be you taking direct control of the Pokémon (taking direct control of Pokémon would also be necessary for exploring the land and progressing) and fight (real-time). Projectile attacks would be automatically locked onto the position of the other Pokémon, but can be done manually (which would be necessary for battling the faster Pokémon).

If you tone it down to it's simplest (like two ground-based Pokémon with only punches and kicks) it would work a bit like a fighting game, except that the environment can be used.

I'd certainly get a Pokémon game like that.

This is certainly similar to Lazyboy's idea. Although, just the first 151? I'd say getting the best Pokés from each generation. Metagross and Skarmory are awesome.

I always wished that there was a huge Pokemon tournament you had to win before facing the Elite 4 in the games.

Aren't you contradicting the game design you just talked about :wtf:

Also, I'm not sure if this is the case. As long as the relationship is there and is clear and present, then I don't think that controlling the Pokemon instead of the Human character is a problem. But you have given me a new idea though...

For my idea you would control the trainer, and command the pokemon to protect you, command them to perform moves to solve puzzles. So very simple example; lava pool ahead, whip your squirtle out to spray water on it, you walk across unharmed.

... Pokemon manager type game anyone (like a football manager game)? You play as the trainer, and you get to train your Pokemon, get their individual moves stronger and prepare them for the battle. After that it's pretty much well up to them. You can watch the battle unleash in front of you allowing you to only control the use of power ups. You could also shout out tactics which would change how your little AI Pokemon fights but this would be indirect control. Shout out encouragement or try and get your Pokemon to pace itself. This could introduce factors that are long overdue in Pokemon, like fatigue and morale.

I think that this would really express that combination that trainers feel between being vitally important and emotionally invested yet completely powerless to actually act in battle.

Freaking brilliant idea. Perfect for the DS as well.

All these ideas sound really great ... but are they actually realistic? Gamers have great ideas for games all the time, but how many developers would actually do all that?

Sorry for being pessimistic, but I always feel negative when I hear about great ideas for games that will never be. I've seen it way too many times before. Gamers have too good imaginations - real life can't keep up. :p

A remake of Gold/Silver for the Wii in full 3D is all I ask. They could use the Pokémon Battle Revolution engine and models for the battles since they already did all the models and animations for the whole pokémon lot.

I keep thinking PBR was so shallow because it was just the creation of all the animations and models for the pokémons and they released it as a quick cash in since they know it would sell and now a decent bigger project is underway without them having to worry about the fight engine because it was complete from the beginning.