NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mimternet

People Haven't Grasped the Magnitude of Revolution

• This is the first time that motion sensor has been made available to anyone. Anyone that wants to use it now can. Previously these systems cost hundreds of thousands, millions. Nintendo are bringing this to you for a couple of hundred.
  • It will be like virtual reality on your TV screen, but more advanced because you will control every movement. You will literally be able to move around a virtual world. This is simply incredible.
  • It allows for total immersion into all games.
  • It reduces the need for so many buttons by making things simpler and by making games more lifelike.
  • Anyone can use it on first glance. There are no instructions to learn as you just move your arm to do what you want to do on screen.
  • It allows for deep complexity aswell for people willing to spend more time on games (i.e. the hardcore gamer). Imagine in a 1st person shooter like Halo being able to press right on the D-pad to switch to your hand rather than gun. By moving your arm you move your arm on screen. You could pick up objects and move them around your level, by moving around yourself! You could pick up parts of a machine and piece them together in the virtual world. You could literally and easily piece together a motorbike, picking up and connecting components, fix it, wire it, fill it with petrol and then ride off on it using the stick as the handle bar.
  • In a secret agent style game you could be hiding in a party drinking a drink and then have to make a runner as someone discovers you. Rather than pointing roughly in the direction of someone and pressing a button to throw your glass to stall someone, you could literally chuck it at their face, reach down, grab your gun and shoot.
  • Tombraider, run around using the analogue addon, turn look and shoot with your right hand.
  • Resident Evil 5 will control so much better on Revolution than with the limited 360 and PS3 analogue control.
  • Dance games will be changed forever. Forget moving your feet by bashing buttons on the floor. By holding two controllers people can do moves with their arms.
  • karaoke, add on a microphone attachement to the bottom. You've got a motion sensing diva microphone that knows how much your putting into your performance by how much you're strutting about.

When Nintendo named their console revolution, they weren't kidding. It truly deserves its name. Not just in terms of the gaming industry but in every industry. Noone has made such technology so available before. Nintendo are ahead of every other electronics company. Can anyone think of technology for any device that allows for such complexity, simplicity and interactivity? Mobile phones, tvs, toasters, they all do things internally. Nintendo has brought us something entirely new that in Minority Report was a thing of fiction.

Why on earth would anyone want to play a 1st person shooter, or a 3rd person adventure, or a sports game on a standard controller when they can literally hit things on screen with their hands. They can look and move around by moving around outside of the screen.

Already I can see how it will be used in so many games. I just hope they get it out quickly, before Sony or Microsoft get their copies out.

• Like 1

I'll be waiting until I've at least seen the finished product before declaring it the best thing since Halo 2.

But I'm a crazy fool!

Perhaps they should have named it the Resurrection if it's going to be as fantastically mind-blowingly amazing as some of you are already certain.

So true Nintendo is back where its at.

Definitely. Or, more accurately, they've even outdone themselves :) I'm very glad because Nintendo are the only company in the world that I like, that I think deserve the money they charge for their products.

It will only be as revolutionary as developers allow it to be.

Absolutely right, this goes without saying. Nintendo clearly know what they're doing just by looking at the demos they knocked together, but what about 3rd parties? Well, if you were a developer, which controller would you rather work with? It could easily be incorporated into Resident Evil 5 and 1st person shooters as proved by the Metroid 3 demo at TGS. Nintendo have stated Revolution is easy to develop for because it works on a more powerful Gamecube set up.

Fair enough but I think a lot hinges on how good the tilt/movement/yadda yadda sensors work.

Anyone played that arcade game with the swords? That worked in a similar way and although cool, the actual movement tracking wasn't all that great, very jerky and awkard and the game suffered because of it.

Although, maybe I just played on a duff cabinet.

Yeah it is truely exciting. Nintendo have opened up a totally new way to play. It's going to be amazing playing games this way and I can't wait to try it.

Fair enough but I think a lot hinges on how good the tilt/movement/yadda yadda sensors work.

All the games sites that went hands on said the simple demos were incredibly accurate in tracking. From big movements to tiny precise movements. I wouldn't worry about it, they wouldn't put this out if it wasn't accurate as it would be crap to play on.

Man imagine sword fighting with Ganon on the new Zelda - deflecting his blows with a well aimed strike of your controller and then going all Bruce Lee on his arse.

It'll be like living in the year 2050 playing this baby! ^_^

This is the best thing since Pot Noodles in my book.

This really is mind blowing, just thinking about the possibilities. But we really havent seen all that much yet, the shell and what it claims to do. Hang onto your seats kids, the ride to E3 is gonna be an interesting ride :P

It takes some doing to get almost everyone into stunned silence, I keep thinking about the days before and how I was basically preparing myself for something that had already been thought of or mocked up. Some sort of odd looking controller close to the dreams of those making the fake ones.

Then scrolling down through the news story I sorta just stared in disbelief, it wasn't like anything anyone had ever dreamed of. Gyroscopes, done away with a simple movement and now I'm just left to patiently wait for it to arrive because I seriously feel like I have enough information.

I do believe though that they'll be releasing Revolution (or what ever it's called even though it should be called Revolution because thats what everyone in the industry knows it by) when they have the right amount of software ready for release. I'll literally be floored again if companies like EA use the controller as what it is for things like ports and the like.

I can imagine a first person shooter with aiming and shooting with the remote controller side and then tilting to peek around corners. Strifing by simply holding down one of the Z buttons and pressing in that direction.

One of the most innovative things about this controller is the fact the it's neither designed for right handed use or left handed use. Either is okay, either will work perfectly.

I don't think I'm alone in saying when I first saw it i was mortified. But once you start thinking about the possibilities, it certainly becomes a revolution.

The idea might not sell to some people straigh away but I would say actually playing would swing the opinions in an instant.

'Resident Evil 5 will control so much better on Revolution than with the limited 360 and PS3 analogue control.'

Explain how; are you just on about the aiming concept?

I gotta agree, its a turning point in games as we know it. However, i just feel that having the "traditional" joypad addon will also do wonders for the console in terms of ports and 3rd party developers. It would cost alot more money to invest in these new technologies and some companies might not really want to.

You have to applaud them, they are fucking brave. I absolutely love them for it!! If it works then they will revolutionise the industry, if people dont take to it, well Im sure the Rev will be even more niche than the cube, but well still love it (Oh, ill also lose even more faith with the general public).

Just imagine Mario Kart, controlling the movement with your hand, hold onto the B trigger to go into a slide and you have to jerk your hand to do the slide turbo - great stuff!!

I also know someone with one arm who has always wanted to play games, there was a one handed controller once but it was shit.

I also know someone with one arm who has always wanted to play games, there was a one handed controller once but it was shit.

There's a website dedicated to producing games for folks who may have problems with standard controllers and the like, I can't remember the name at the moment but I'm sure Google would turn it up soon enough.

Thats a good point persons with one arm or a broken arm or arm or hand problems could easily play this with one hand/arm, theirs got to be quite a large demand for that kind of thing.

Also means that you could eat and drink and play games at the same time. :lmao:

• This is the first time that motion sensor has been made available to anyone. Anyone that wants to use it now can. Previously these systems cost hundreds of thousands, millions. Nintendo are bringing this to you for a couple of hundred.
  • It will be like virtual reality on your TV screen, but more advanced because you will control every movement. You will literally be able to move around a virtual world. This is simply incredible.
  • It allows for total immersion into all games.
  • It reduces the need for so many buttons by making things simpler and by making games more lifelike.
  • Anyone can use it on first glance. There are no instructions to learn as you just move your arm to do what you want to do on screen.
  • It allows for deep complexity aswell for people willing to spend more time on games (i.e. the hardcore gamer). Imagine in a 1st person shooter like Halo being able to press right on the D-pad to switch to your hand rather than gun. By moving your arm you move your arm on screen. You could pick up objects and move them around your level, by moving around yourself! You could pick up parts of a machine and piece them together in the virtual world. You could literally and easily piece together a motorbike, picking up and connecting components, fix it, wire it, fill it with petrol and then ride off on it using the stick as the handle bar.
  • In a secret agent style game you could be hiding in a party drinking a drink and then have to make a runner as someone discovers you. Rather than pointing roughly in the direction of someone and pressing a button to throw your glass to stall someone, you could literally chuck it at their face, reach down, grab your gun and shoot.
  • Tombraider, run around using the analogue addon, turn look and shoot with your right hand.
  • Resident Evil 5 will control so much better on Revolution than with the limited 360 and PS3 analogue control.
  • Dance games will be changed forever. Forget moving your feet by bashing buttons on the floor. By holding two controllers people can do moves with their arms.
  • karaoke, add on a microphone attachement to the bottom. You've got a motion sensing diva microphone that knows how much your putting into your performance by how much you're strutting about.

When Nintendo named their console revolution, they weren't kidding. It truly deserves its name. Not just in terms of the gaming industry but in every industry. Noone has made such technology so available before. Nintendo are ahead of every other electronics company. Can anyone think of technology for any device that allows for such complexity, simplicity and interactivity? Mobile phones, tvs, toasters, they all do things internally. Nintendo has brought us something entirely new that in Minority Report was a thing of fiction.

Why on earth would anyone want to play a 1st person shooter, or a 3rd person adventure, or a sports game on a standard controller when they can literally hit things on screen with their hands. They can look and move around by moving around outside of the screen.

Already I can see how it will be used in so many games. I just hope they get it out quickly, before Sony or Microsoft get their copies out.

Great writing

I agree I think Nintendo needs to show peple the potential and diversity of this device. In a Star wars game for example you could have superb sword fights, use force powers brilliantly (a flick of the pad could be a distraction or you could lift someone up in the air), space fights would be incredible fun, you could enact the Han Solo bar brawl then even flick a coin at the barkeeper and say "Sorry about the mess".

Many actions that have been confined by the joypad have been opened up now. I agree with Reggie when he said something like, going down a new road at a slower speed is much more intresting than going down tha same road quicker.

What worries me though, is that we might have a 'DS' situation with some games, instead of spending 3/4 of the game scratching the bottom screen, we will be shaking our arms about for 15 hours. A lot of time and effort needs to be put in, to use the features in the best way. What i mean to say is i hope the anolouge stick is used instead of simple things like running, imagine the pain of playing sonic...

When you think about it, only slight movements may be needed. For example, in a game like zelda, people say attacking could be done by slashing. More likely is that the programmers will code it so a swift flick to the left/right will result in a side swipe attack, a flick up/down will result in an upward/downward slash. People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that you're of screen movements will be mimmiced onscreen....i think my idea is more plausable, with the directional movements of the pad just offering more input devices for commands.

Yes I don't think you'll have to sway your arms from one side of the room to the other so to speak to make a move in the game. The video was just exaggerated in that way. I think the mario bit in the video portrays the real use the best.

^^That is what is making me finally get excited; the fact you won't have to prance around like a prat to play the game; you'll still be able to sit down on the sofa, but you just have to move the pad a slight bit more compared to last gen.

Because its Nintendo who have done it M$/sony fanboys will call it crap. But when the inevitable happens and their beloved money suckers copy it they will say that its the best thing ever despite the fact that it wont be implemented as well as revolutions. And it wont be as good because it'll be rushed. Look at dual shock analogue. It sucked! N64 analogue was better in every way. I think its better than the GameCubes aswell. I wonder if there will be a dagger addon so we can stab either real sony/M$ fanboys or virtual bill gates? Sorry for rant. :heh:

Sign in to follow this