NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hal_9Million

Nintendo's Role in Sony's Fall

I found an interesting article on about.com that investigates one possible route the console war could take.

The title "Nintendo's Role in Sony's Fall" explains it all really, but Microsoft is still heavily included in the equation. Basically Sony loses out due to stiff competition in the home console market from Microsoft, competition in the electronics market by companies like apple, and competition in the handheld market from Nintendo. The reason that there is no competition in the home console market from Nintendo, is that Nintendo manages to successfully distinguish itself from the competition allowing itself to co-exist with either Sony or Microsoft's machines. The writer does say that he is speculating less accurately than an analyst, but it's still interesting to read. He does also take into account other possible outcomes that could affect his theory, like Sony managing to turn around it's proffits.

It's worth a read.

Im thinkin that Sony made the PS3 too expensive. Its not gonna have a positive effect on sales. Revolution, with its low price and special features, will have something extra to make people buy it. Just observe the PSP vs DS in Japan.

just watch the 'nintendo is shit full stop. Playstation rocks lets bone it no matter what the price and xbox is cool too it can have some head' argument in Britain.

Similar thinking to me. I don't think that the Playstation brand will have that much clout when it comes to the next gen. It has had it's time and xbox is the one with stuff to prove and it has stirred a lot of interest this time.

I just think that the availability at launch will have big implications for everyone. There is nothing to suggest that the Revo will have problems here. But maybe if the PS3 really is gonna cost something like £400 things might be different.;)

Quote from article:

6.) Sony gets destroyed by lawsuits: Recent developments of the Rootkit and the possibility that Sony will face tremendous legal and financial fallout could change everything. Just as Sony's electronics divisions making a profit could change the outcome, Sony's electronics or music divisions garnering losses beyond what the company can support would also crash things into the ground. With so many potential complaints from the Rootkit issue, from big corporations like Microsoft, to governments and citizens, it's impossible to tell how this will play out, and I didn't even try.

Does anybody know more about this rootkit? What is it and what's the lawsuit about?

It's pretty realistic. I think a division of 45% Xbox 360 - 25% PlayStation 3 - 30 % Revolution isn't out of the question. Sony is doing a very bad job with the PS3 at the moment.

well what my school mates say me is that rev sucks....the real problem to nintendo is to change this stupid idea.And I believe it will be done.

It hasnt launched yet, but I dont think PS3 will be the downfall of sony. A flop yes. Downfall, no. Sony is too big to let a console do so badly to make them think twice about the console market.

i think the biggest winner of the next gen will be nintendo. the rev cant possibly do a badly as the GC.

the worst i see the ps3 doing is falling to the level of the n-gage. However, it will enevitabily have franchises such as GTA, Metal Gear, and Gran Turismo that will keep it afloat.

The rootkit is a nasty software that is virtually undectable and uninstallable. It is a form of spyware. Sony had the rootkit on their music cd's and when you played the disk on your computer it installed itself on your computer. Here are some webpages that talked about it:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sony_to_Help_Remove_its_DRM_Rootkit/1130965475

http://www.betanews.com/article/Lawsuit_Fights_Back_Against_Sony_DRM/1131635264

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sony_President_Rootkit_of_No_Concern/1131475197

http://www.betanews.com/article/Trojan_Horse_Hides_Using_Sony_Rootkit/1131640601

The rootkit is a nasty software that is virtually undectable and uninstallable. It is a form of spyware. Sony had the rootkit on their music cd's and when you played the disk on your computer it installed itself on your computer.

Arseholes! I hope they get taken down big time. It will slow the flow of piss poor games flooding everywhere and help keep that damn SpyWare off my computer.

You think the PS3 will only manage to sell 2-3 Million united worldwide? O_o

Japan ALONE will keep the PS3 above 'flopping' even IF the Revolution manages to sell more there.

Well Japan didn't keep the PSX afloat so the PS3 is basically the PSX plus more and we all know how the PSX did - it died a quick and easy death.

But then, as tghe PS3 is supposed to live for 10 years, I might get one on its 4th/5th b'day depending on its price.

Honestly though the revolution isn't going to totally destroy the playstation no way it has something called an established fanbase.

Nintendo has one as well but there is a game called grand theft auto which no matter what the price is, is going to make people flock like sheep to pick one up.

I have a positive feeling that the 360 is going to be the dreamcast of this generation, nintendo's revolution is going to be a big hit i am sure, the controller has made so many people i know excited, esspecially me since i was going to stop playing computer games.

Nintendo are still going to reap the profits because they are the smartest console manufacturer (look at sega, amiga, atari the list is on going) but i still have a feeling that playstation will be like the 50 cent (mainstream) champion of the casual gamer (just wait for pro 6 and gran turismo ? whatever come out) not everyone can buy more than one console and with playstations price thats going to be even harder.

Can nintendo tarnish the so called kiddy image? will its controller be copied and destroyed? will it even be a failure?

Only time will tell but i know one thing i know for sure it feels good to be a nintendo fan. :grin:

Sign in to follow this