NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Join the Army? Or not?

I view the army with disgust to be honest. The only people that I've ever really seen to be enthusiastic about going into it were all scrotty little chavs with probably no other credible career avenue to go down.

The adverts for the army are truly lol-worthy. Trying to get people to sign up by using flashy guns, or the option of using a 360 controller to contol equipment. Or the reassurance to the thick people that you can just 'flick it off and on again' if the solution to a problem is too hard.

They may well be protecting us, but really they're just dogs of the military (got to love FMA). Just get a degree and you'll get a job with probably better pay quicker than in the army, and you won't have to shave your hair so you look like some chav tosser either.

Your an arsehole. When you can do something as meaningful as fight for your country. Be prepared to die for your mates. The come back with your stupid comments.

I'm not knocking fighting for your country, I'm just saying some people do it because their apprenticeships fell through.

I thought about joining the army once...but i then thought better of it in the end.

I'm thinking of joining the police myself, i was wondering around the Dumfries station and had a little look at the entrance exam. I was amazed at how simple it was so i had a crack at it and passed with plenty of time to spare.

Thing is, I can't drive so it would be a task just getting into town for training ¬_¬

I would have loved to join the RAF, but Ive been in a relationship for the last 8 years and its never been an option. Id never join the army, because it looks as if they suck all of the character out of you. Im far too different to survive that...

Having done CCF at school, and choosing RAF over Army (after about a month of protesting against doing it at all, as it goes against everything I believe in, and I still think it was a breach of human rights), trust me when I say they're as much bastards as the Army.

Fuck them being scared of people who don't have crew cuts, or wil follow orders to march around the school yard for a year.

I really learnt a lot from that... [/bitter sarcasm]

Your an arsehole. When you can do something as meaningful as fight for your country. Be prepared to die for your mates. The come back with your stupid comments.

You might get turfed out at 55. But by then you will ahvea good pension and you will only need a part time job to top it up. SO you can semi retire at 55.

I woudnt say bringing democracy, rights to women and riding the world of the plauge that is HEroin meaningless. Even if it is taking longer than many would wish.

If you cant alreadyu tell. I am in the forces. The navy to be exact. Attached to the marines. And to be honest i am very much considering a transfer to the army. Want to be a bit more frontline.

I was in a simaler positon. I had just compleated a modern aprentaship with a major car manufaturer and realised i wasnt ahppy with my life.

You cannot explain what being in the forces is like to a civi who hasnt been there.

Civys tend to dwell on the negatives ie:

You could die, You mite die crossing the road its not something worth thinking about.

People shout at you, After about a week, you stop taking it personal. Once you manage to do that it makes no odds wether someone is shouting at you or talking to you.

You may have to kill people, Yes you might but the people you are killing are people who you are killing are probably people who woudnt blink and eye about killing you.

NOW THE POSATIVES

You get to see the world. In less than 2 years with the navy i have so far been to Norway, Germany (twice), Poland and wales ( i had never been to wales). I have also been to many places in England and Scotland i had never been before.

You will make real friends. Friends for life. Friends who are willing t oput it all on the line for you. And you will be for them.

You get real life experiences. Things to tell the grand kids.

Suicide is the biggest killer of men ages 18 - 30. The suicide rate for men in the forces is lower than the average. So depending which way you look at it you may live longer than you would as a civi.

The money isnt that bad. Its just not good for the job we do. Considering how much money other civil servants earn.

In short GO FOR IT and DONT LOOK BACK. IT IS BY FAR THE BEST THING I EVER DID.

And thats the sort of talk that attracts me! See, I'm doing my work and I'm a good student but its just all 'meh'. I'm only 21 yet i feel I've wasted a lot of time (ie life). I just want thrills and adventures and the like...:/...Even when I do graduate and get a good job I would only be able to do the traveling I'd like to do, what, like 4 weeks a year? :/. A normal working life seems very unfulfilling.

Only just saw this post. Saw some things clearly wrong with it.

Civys tend to dwell on the negatives ie:

You could die, You mite die crossing the road its not something worth thinking about.

I hate this response. It's commonly used when people try to justify why it's OK to do something dangerous. You could die crossing the street if you're a wanker not watching the road.

You may have to kill people, Yes you might but the people you are killing are people who you are killing are probably people who woudnt blink and eye about killing you.

Oh right, two wrongs make a right then.

You get to see the world. In less than 2 years with the navy i have so far been to Norway, Germany (twice), Poland and wales ( i had never been to wales). I have also been to many places in England and Scotland i had never been before.

I would much, much, rather visit these places in a year out after university than under the control of the army/navy. Besides, you say you visit those places but clearly it's been as part of your job. The feel of a holiday and work are quite different.

Suicide is the biggest killer of men ages 18 - 30. The suicide rate for men in the forces is lower than the average. So depending which way you look at it you may live longer than you would as a civi.

But this is a rubbish excuse, because people know themselves and know if they're susceptible to depression or not. More likely, the connection is that people who apply for the army are less likely to commit suicide to begin with, not that joining the army somehow makes them less likely to kill themself. Also, suicide may be lower, death by being shot certainly isn't.

In short GO FOR IT and DONT LOOK BACK. IT IS BY FAR THE BEST THING I EVER DID.

Well, my advice is study hard, get paid well and not be killed in the process.

Oh, shut the fuck up. You're as worthless as any of us, pride and honour are the dumbest of pretexts to achieve glory. And "fighting for your country" just means you're a git who can't even think about what he's standing for or against.

ALSO, Sheikah just owned you.

I have to say, as a person who at one time was considering joining the engineering corps once they'd finished Uni, I'm definitly not regretting my decision to disregard that as an option. I'm very much with Sheikah on this one - his arguments are much more convincing, whilst Danny's are more personal.

Join the Army! Travel to interesting countries! Meet interesting people! And kill them!

I have to say I'd never join the army, and not simply because I can't stand the thought of killing anyone. I think it gives many people comfort because they become part of an institution, which in a way makes them somebody. This seems to me much like being an ant within a nest, which really wouldn't appeal to me. I do not wish to mindlessly carry out orders, and I don't wish to give them to others either. Sure, as a collective you have immense power, but on an individual level I'd feel worthless. And I barely feel part of a nation, so wouldn't wish to act of the fingertips of the individual who happens to control the "country". In addition to all this, I'd hate to do it because I'd find it so boring.

Thankfully, I wouldn't pass the medical to get into the army (or policeforce, come to that) as I have flat feet.

Of course, if you disagree with me, feel free to join. The army are necessary, after all - unless they bring back conscription, someone has to want to do it.

(Regarding the point about suicide: If I wanted to commit suicide, then I'd have a bloody good reason, so wouldn't want anything to stop me. Not that I can forsee any possibility of wanting to, excluding experimental purposes which I've already ruled out.)

*Amazing post*

DAYUM! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Do what thou will, old lad. I considered the navy for a while, passed the officer training induction course but then decided it wasn't for me.

My cousin was in the Royal Marines, our family was always so proud, and then he got killed off-duty in the bombing of the Walmer Barracks. Shame, but my uncle always tells me he was doing what he wanted to do.

Yes you can lose your life, yes, some ignorant bastards consider it to be an easy way out, yes, some people like to knock down every argument for the forces just because they can, and yes, the world would be a better place without wars and fighting, but we're not there just yet.

Consider your choice carefully, but whatever you do decide in the end, be proud of yourself.

Consider your choice carefully, but whatever you do decide in the end, be proud of yourself.

Agreed, 100%.

I was thinking about joining the French Foreign Legion but minimum contract is 5 years.

Just be aware that in a lot of countries joining a foreign military service counts as treason and you can lose your citizenship and stuff.

Most definitly. : peace:

(gawd I could never spell that word).

Well the only way for me to join an army would be to join a foreign army...

Not that i would, I´m more of a "fight the power" type.

I´m a rebel without a cause.

To put it simply, no. No you shouldn't join the army, or any other force for that matter. Whether you fight in a war or not, you're still suporting it by being next in line.

My Dad knew a lot of colleagues/friends, who actually killed themselves because they were treated so badly in the forces. When we lived on camp in Germany (in the late eighties, early nineties) one of our neighbours hung themselves >_>

At the end of the day you can say.. oh.. less people commit suicide in the forces... But you can twist stats and figures to say whatever the hell you want, and to me that figure doesn't really mean much.

Just be aware that in a lot of countries joining a foreign military service counts as treason and you can lose your citizenship and stuff.

Just shows how much thought I hadn't put into it! It was an unrealistic thought anyway.

People join the army for the social aspect. The camaraderie of the whole thing is the appeal, it makes you feel part of a group and you make really great friends. On top of this you get to see the world, are fed, housed and paid pretty well really (considering your living costs are pretty much paid for already).

If that appeals to you and your not bothered about increased risk to your health, the possibility of having to kill someone or having to serve for a minimum of 4 years then there really isn't much reason not to go for it. Who knows, you might find the fulfilment in your life that you are seeking.

I've considered it myself, then again i've considered a lot of different career paths recently. Im bored with life and my career options are surprisingly limited despite good GCSEs and A-Levels. Maybe i'll see you there ;)

I say yes, my parents friends son joined the army, but the only thing I suggest is to make sure that you don't go joining the war and get dumped in iraq. This friends son apprently went to africa before he went to iraq and had the best time of his life (even had lions lying 10feet away from him in the dark. eek!)

He is currently based there for a year and now his parents won't even go to france for a weekend in fear he'll come back in a box.

As people have said though there is so much more to do with the army/navy etc which ever you chose and is still a good thing to do with your life.

If you do join just remember it isn't something you can just drop out of, espcially if they send you off somewhere.

Do what thou will, old lad. I considered the navy for a while, passed the officer training induction course but then decided it wasn't for me.

My cousin was in the Royal Marines, our family was always so proud, and then he got killed off-duty in the bombing of the Walmer Barracks. Shame, but my uncle always tells me he was doing what he wanted to do.

Yes you can lose your life, yes, some ignorant bastards consider it to be an easy way out, yes, some people like to knock down every argument for the forces just because they can, and yes, the world would be a better place without wars and fighting, but we're not there just yet.

Excellent post Iun.

I don't claim that the army is honourable or it makes you a better person. But it's a career like all the other careers. If you see it as anything more then you are deluded. If you see it as anything less.

You do know that pride has litterally no positive aspects. One thing is self-esteem, that's good. Pride is useless.

There's one thing that no one had really mentioned or touched on here.

If you do join one of the armed forces (this is mostly for combat troops) then you will be surrounded by people that you can rely on to do their job, be there for you in a practical and professional capacity and clearly understand their objectives. And that's great, while you're working...

But when going back to being a Civ though, by comparison you will be surrounded by people who are totally not practically minded, who by your standards will concern themselves with insignificant matters, people who will let you down and think nothing of it and other who will just seem very very lazy. Many many people find it very hard to readjust and reintegrate into normal society and they will often take jobs in security and the police, not because it's the only thing that they can do but it it's one of the very few situations in which they feel comfortable.

I'd also echoe many of the points for and against joining the forces but most people seem to said them already. Think carefully about minimum serving term though, what is it 4 years? You keep on sounding like you've been all over the place recently, so can you imagine how much you have changed in the past 4 years? Then bare in mind that you WILL be doing your job for 4 years and if it's not what you want to do then you're fuckt.

Well since this discussion goes still on I might want to bring another apsect into this. Without brave young men and women in the UK, France, USA and other allied forces we would probably still live in a dark age in Europe with a crazy Fuhrer doing whatever he pleases. Without a decent army most of you would probably salute to a german leader wearing a svastika now. Also please don't interpret this as someone trying to glorify the allied army - I am from Austria, my grandfather fought for the germans and was imprisoned by soviet forces. I still regard the allied army as the liberators of Europe even if a german victory might have been better for my personal agenda.

Agreed Europe right now is not at the door step of a real global war but may I remind you all that terrorism is considered as a form of war aswell - and every country needs a defense against that threat. Also think what happens in 20 years ... more and more people live on this planet and primary resources like food and water will be the next targets for wars. It is vital to secure borders and prevent the civilian population - this is a paragraph in most constitutions in nearly every country.

Not everyone wants to be a part of the federal armed forces or anything similar - granted this is their view of life. In Austria you can either serve in the army for 8 months including border patrol or work in a civil institution like the red cross. So if someone wants to join the army wether it is for money, prestige or the lack of a different job - PLEASE LEAVE THEM BE. Not everyone in the army is a idiot without a future and not everyone without an army career is a guilty of treason and a hippy.

My point is that armed forces are sadly neccessary in our modern society - in battles, humanitarian missions or whatever. As long as a democratic government has approved of that mission you have to accept it. That is democracy not "They should do what I think"-ocracy.

Good post System. I like the sound of Austria's national service, it makes a lot of sense.

Sign in to follow this