NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Join the Army? Or not?

Was browsing the site and to my surprise a career in the army seems very exciting. Dunno if its the exams or the dreadful summer heat looming but I feel a complete waste and have been since changing degree courses. (The new course feels like the wrong one) :/. I feel I need a new challenge and the army seems to offer many like an all-in-one package (physical training, mental training, travel, sports, learn skills etc).

Would you join/recommend the army?...Or not?

Fuck no.

Why the hell would you want to go serve in a meaningless war whilst under paied and not propperly equipped?

But...but the site said...Don't you have to be of a certain calibre before you get chucked into a war?

I'd join the RAF. But I can't as I've got asthma.

my old man was in the RAF, he said it was the best thing he did with his life.

my old man was in the RAF, he said it was the best thing he did with his life.

As a pilot? Is it just your condition of health that restricts people from joining?

As a pilot? Is it just your condition of health that restricts people from joining?

You have to be able to fly as well.

Fuck no.

Why the hell would you want to go serve in a meaningless war whilst under paied and not propperly equipped?

The army isn't all about going abroad to fight in a war. There are hundreds if not thousands of UK based jobs which will never let you see action.

My dad and both grandfathers were in the army. My 2 uncles (by marriage) are in the army and I've thought about it a lot. It can actually be very well paid, one of my Uncle's is 35-40, a Brigadier and earning £92,000 a year. Basic wages for an officer starts at £23k for a graduate officer.

The army isn't all about going abroad to fight in a war. There are hundreds if not thousands of UK based jobs which will never let you see action.

My dad and both grandfathers were in the army. My 2 uncles (by marriage) are in the army and I've thought about it a lot. It can actually be very well paid, one of my Uncle's is 35-40, a Brigadier and earning £92,000 a year. Basic wages for an officer starts at £23k for a graduate officer.

And if you are in the navy for example. you aren't paying any bills and all of your money is saving up and collecting interest.

As long as you don't forget that there is a chance you have to fight in a real war, killing real people to defend the interests of your country join. If you are not sure better leave it be.

Wether it is ground forces, navy or aerial duty depends on your qualification and interest.

Personally i would join either the RAF or Navy, the army just seems abit different for some reason.

In fact joining the navy/RAF is something i still might do once i've been through Uni.

As long as you don't forget that there is a chance you have to fight in a real war, killing real people to defend the interests of your country join. If you are not sure better leave it be.

Wether it is ground forces, navy or aerial duty depends on your qualification and interest.

Thats...true. :/

Watching NCIS has peaked my interest in the Navy a fair bit. But being an Epi they probably wouldn't let me join even if I tried.

As per your request of advice, if you have to ask then you're not ready.

Personally i would join either the RAF or Navy, the army just seems abit different for some reason.

In fact joining the navy/RAF is something i still might do once i've been through Uni.

What would you do in the RAF? You can't be a pilot.

Another thing to remember is that you get papped out once you hit 55 unless you're really high ranking.

You have to be able to fly as well.

You have to be pretty fit regardless of the job at hand. I think short-sightedness or less than perfect hearing and your fucked.

My father was an engineer on all the planes. Had to crawl into the engines and all that jazz.

And if you are in the navy for example. you aren't paying any bills and all of your money is saving up and collecting interest.

When my dad first joined up in the RAF, we lived on small means and money was very very tight. (he had a family tho)

But once you climb the ranks the money gets better. My father got into IT and did a degree in engineering with the RAF, I *think* they paid for it. From what he tells me it is a LOT of hard work.

Another thing to remember is that you get papped out once you hit 55 unless you're really high ranking.

I think it's something like 32 in the marines. But the ranking is really low.

I'm probably wrong though so somebody check.

What would you do in the RAF? You can't be a pilot.

Quotes advert:

"You don't have to be a pilot to fly in the RAF"

I was infact looking at a Weapon Systems Operator.

Quotes advert:

"You don't have to be a pilot to fly in the RAF"

I was infact looking at a Weapon Systems Operator.

Yeah but being a pilot will get you all of the pussy.

Armed forces service is really something I'd personally only consider in serious circumstances, like if I had completely fallen of the social ladder or we were all being drafted anyway because of WWIII or something.

My advice to you would be to think it over. By the sounds of things you're in a funk because you're not sure what to do, and I suspect you'd be much happier once you've found what you need in your Uni education.

My advice to you would be to think it over. By the sounds of things you're in a funk because you're not sure what to do, and I suspect you'd be much happier once you've found what you need in your Uni education.

That's why a lot of people join. It gives them a pathway and a reason for living.

That's why a lot of people join. It gives them a pathway and a reason for living.

Yes. I find it slightly insidious.

Armed forces service is really something I'd personally only consider in serious circumstances, like if I had completely fallen of the social ladder or we were all being drafted anyway because of WWIII or something.

Thanks for that, I hope so :/...Guess this is what you call depression. :( (LOL)

My dad is a Colonel in the army, and he gets shitloads of money/benefits.

My sister does OTC at uni, and she gets paid to go skiing in the Alps, which isn't that bad :p. If you're at uni you should just do that.

If it's your thing, I'd say do it. It totally isn't my thing at all though.

Sign in to follow this