N-Europe

Nintendo named amongst World's Top 50 most innovative companies

Dog-amoto

For those interested in the business side of things, Business Week has named it's Top 50 most innovative companies in the world, and Nintendo has made their first ever appearance on the list, ranking at number 7.

Apple was first, Microsoft was 5th and Sony was 9th

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/innovative_companies/?chan=magazine+channel_special+report

More info here

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_17/b4081070887317.htm?chan=magazine+channel_special+report

Including a priceless image that I'm sure a lot of you have already seen

nintendo.jpg

Got to remember, its innovation but not just in the games market. Nintendo are pretty much games only, while it's competitors Sony and Microsoft have their fingers in a lot of other pies. [Here is where I provide facts if I truly want to prove my point but im too lazy and really should be working right now so cant you just take my word for it :P]

It's a crap list. The new stuff Apple, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony have invented over last year doesn't show any inventivity. It's just the regular progress any company that can throw hundred of millions at R&D can make. The list is governed my money rather than inventivity. It doesn't take a freaking genius to invent a phone with just a touch screen or a laptop without a disc player...

It's a crap list. The new stuff Apple, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony have invented over last year doesn't show any inventivity. It's just the regular progress any company that can throw hundred of millions at R&D can make. The list is governed my money rather than inventivity. It doesn't take a freaking genius to invent a phone with just a touch screen or a laptop without a disc player...

Would the iPhone even be included as it was released over 12 months ago?

Not so sure about Apple, although the iPhone wasn't totally revolutionary, its interface was in a way innovative, although not to the extent they want to us to believe and most people think. This list seems to be all over the place, some companies exibited no innovation in their products, brands or business strategies and even did bad financially, others simply did well financially, but also didn't innovate a bit.

I, of course don't follow all those companies, but I don't see any innovation from lots of them. Starbucks, McDonalds, Disney? Seriously.

Apple being first?

Well it depends what they mean by innovative. If they mean with their products then they are by no means innovative. But it's a business mag not a technology mag. So maybe they mean innovative business wise. Which apple have been very succesful with. You can't deny that it takes some serious innovation to charge a higher price for their iPods than other competitors of the same or better quality, and still around 70% of all mp3 players owned are iPods.

They have been innovative with their business.