NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

I think lots of people may want to plug their wiis into computer monitors without loss of fidelity. Mainly because LCD monitors are much cheaper than LCD tvs.

This cable sends component out to a DVI monitor in(a custom xbox cable). So in principle is it possible for a 3rd party to make such a cable for the wii ? or indeed nintendo?

(As the advert reads some monitors would accept analogue component through DVI).

great thread btw

We still lack information about the output, but, if it outputs progressive scan it ought to be digital capable... so it should be possible to make a VGA capable cable.

Judging from it's legacy from Gamecube... it should be a Digital out capable of outputing analog signal through a custom DAC chip.

All in all... a VGA cable should be possible at least... just like with GC, for progressive scan enabled games.

Go buy that TV, Wii will support prog scan in all regions! :bouncy:

Was this confirmed for Europe? You sure?

And this thread rocks, i was getting tired of answering the same questions over and over.

Thanks heaps for the thread King, i was going to suggest that someone do something like this....but you beat me to it!

Anyway, for those who aren't technologically inclined, could you (or someone else!) please explain the sound output options if I were to connect using component cables or RGB...

Because I know that they are entirely video based, whereas the S-video and RCA have sound outputs...

cheers!

Great thread, though maybe you should add something on HDTV scaling and scaling lag perhaps (I see a lot of people saying that they're gonna buy an LCD HDTV for the Wii and if they do so, they're gonna be very disappointed!)

Great thread, though maybe you should add something on HDTV scaling and scaling lag perhaps (I see a lot of people saying that they're gonna buy an LCD HDTV for the Wii and if they do so, they're gonna be very disappointed!)

I would also like to see something on that as well, if possible. :)

I'd go for a HDTV at some point anyway, since I'm considering getting a 360 at some point in the future. EDTVs (the ones that output 480p natively) are getting harder to find, I couldn't find any readily available on Amazon. There was only one on Ebay.

EDTV would also be just a stopgap anyway, with Nintendo confirming Wii's successor will have HD output, and there'll be more HD content (channels, HD-DVD etc.) a few years down the line.

Anyway, nice to hear Wii may support progressive scan in Europe. :)

My only real concern with HDTVs is how they display SD pictures. Right now, most of the content is SD and DVDs are 480p, so I wouldn't want to get a horrendous picture while watching Top Gear on BBC2. avforums do discuss SD but there can be conflicting reports about how well a certain HDTV displays SD. :shakehead

I know we discussed it before in the "Need a TV for Wii thread" but I'm still confused by all this. I just don't see why Nintendo would demo Wii on HD LCD TV's if they're as bad as people make out. As far as I can tell every event since E3 has used Sharp AQUOS LCD's to display Wii, check out these pics:

E3:

1hm1.jpg

2if0.jpg

UK Event:

3ul9.jpg

Japan Event:

4mp3.jpg

US Event:

5nu1.jpg

Nintendo Fusion Tour:

6cj3.jpg

The same TV is visible throughout those pics (apart from the Japanese one) but I'm willing to bet it's the same Sharp TV behind that cover on those ones too.

Anyway I definitely need to get myself a new TV before Wii comes out (currently got a 14" CRT :blank: ) and I'm seriously considering an LCD now, probably this one:

Sharp Aquos 26" LC26SA1E

Great thread by the way! icon14.gif

Great post KOH.

By the way, the one thing that annoys me probably much more than it should is people talking about an "NTSC GBA" or a "PAL DS game". Grr!

I said WOW! does WW support true 16:9 ratio then? :bowdown:

Actually, every Cube game I tested runs widescreen no problem. I beat Metroid Prime 2, Resident Evil 4, Ocarina of Time and Paper Mario 2 all in beautiful widescreen :santa:

Actually, every Cube game I tested runs widescreen no problem. I beat Metroid Prime 2, Resident Evil 4, Ocarina of Time and Paper Mario 2 all in beautiful widescreen :santa:

You mean stretched to a 16:9 format.

Stretched:

attachmentds0.jpg

True widescreen in magic 60 Hz mode:

attachmentdb5.jpg

Each of my Cube games run like that :smile:

I use the standard cable, then run my games in 60 Hz mode and then the games are rendered like this automatically.

Anyway, for those who aren't technologically inclined, could you (or someone else!) please explain the sound output options if I were to connect using component cables or RGB...

Because I know that they are entirely video based, whereas the S-video and RCA have sound outputs...

Oh looky im quoting myself!

Anyway, here is the answer to my question.

compins.gif

Useful thread.

I always planned to run my Wii in Component- Progressive Scan.

I have actively tried (but failed) to find out whether Nintendo will bundle Component cables with Wii much like Microsoft did with 360. I have asked retailers if an official Component cable will be sold seperately, and if so - could I pre order. No one has any information. And if you remember the RGB scart lead fiasco with xbox360 - these were out of stock for months!!

I dont want to settle for composite on my 42" TV. I simply MUST have a Component cable at launch.

NOE Component Cables = Confirmed progressive scan?

:D

Yeah, I've been waiting for video cables to start appearing on Gameplay. I'll get RGB Scart for the launch, then hopefully I can save up enough money for a HDTV and component cable.

Stretched:

attachmentds0.jpg

True widescreen in magic 60 Hz mode:

attachmentdb5.jpg

Each of my Cube games run like that :smile:

I use the standard cable, then run my games in 60 Hz mode and then the games are rendered like this automatically.

Fatty fatty fat fat !

Enough :) Money isn't my bigest problem.

I don't believe you have "problems", just some good things that could be better.

Quality thread. Will ALL Wii games run in Progressive Scan mode?
I think not, because currently Nintendo advises developers to use it, they do not force them to do so though.

Same with 16:9 ratios on Wii.

You can probably expect all Nintendo first party titles to use it (Progressive Scan), Virtal Console and, perhaps forced on GC games.