NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

Ok, so my Wii seems to have stopped working today. I was trying to play Resi 4 Wii and for some reason, the console just wouldn't turn on. I unplugged it, and plugged it back in, and it turned on. Then if froze when I was trying to load up the game, so I did the same, and the next time it got to the title screen. So I load up the game again, and this it froze while I was trying to load the actual game, not the save file but the level. So I do the same and this time it freezes on the health and safety screen.

I'm going to leave it unplugged for a while at someone's suggestion, but if the problem persists, is the best thing just to send it in to Nintendo to get it fixed? Its off warranty.

Always the best thing to do is to phone Nintendo. Even if it's survived its warranty, there's a decent chance they'll sort it out free of charge.

has anyone else had their wii's freeze while connecting to wfc. I've only really noticed it on Animal Crossing since 4.0.

has anyone else had their wii's freeze while connecting to wfc. I've only really noticed it on Animal Crossing since 4.0.

I don't think its ever frozen during anything to do with NWFC, but out of curiosity, do you have the HBC installed, now or previously?

I've never had homebrew on there, no.

I'm also getting a 'system memory files corrupted' messages - only on MK though. Turn the Wii off, and all is fine again.

Time to back up my saves- with the exception of Smash Bros... Nice one, Nintendo.

That would be a good idea. You could call Nintendo just to see what they say, their tech support isn't the usual outsourced bullshit, their staff are quite helpful.

On an unrelated note, I tracked the repair status on my Wii and found out it had already been shipped back to me. I shipped it around the beginning of the month. Then I tracked the shipping with the courier and I found out it was on a truck in my city. Unfortunately the delivery got delayed until tomorrow for some reason. Although, it seemed quite quick, they said it was usually about 2-3 weeks in Canada, not 1.

Time to panic.

This friday evening I rushed home to play Rainbow Islands Towering Adventure. I'd downloaded it much earlier that morning before work. However upon turning on my Wii I got the "System memory corrupt" message.

To make things worse I've not backed up ANY of my save files (foolish I know) and have to wait until Monday before I can contact Nintendo.

Anyone know if this is going to cost me anything? I'm purchased my Wii on launch day.

Cry.

Time to panic.

This friday evening I rushed home to play Rainbow Islands Towering Adventure. I'd downloaded it much earlier that morning before work. However upon turning on my Wii I got the "System memory corrupt" message.

To make things worse I've not backed up ANY of my save files (foolish I know) and have to wait until Monday before I can contact Nintendo.

Anyone know if this is going to cost me anything? I'm purchased my Wii on launch day.

Cry.

I got this message the other day, although after turning it back on, there is no difference. My saves are all there etc. Any experience this before?

I'm also getting a 'system memory files corrupted' messages - only on MK though. Turn the Wii off, and all is fine again.
However upon turning on my Wii I got the "System memory corrupt" message.
I got this message the other day, although after turning it back on, there is no difference. My saves are all there etc. Any experience this before?
I've also been getting the "corrupted Wii system files" thing, has happened a couple of times now.

I'm guessing/hoping it's a side effect of the latest firmware update. ::shrug:

Are you lot all on the latest firmware?

I have got this message as well, only when starting up MK so far.

Think I'll follow everyone else in getting my saves backed up.

I've always downloaded the latest firmware, and not used any homebrew stuff on my Wii.

Contacted Nintendo on Monday and awaiting postage label to post my Wii bsck. I'm out of my 1 year Warranty but going to bitterly complain.

OK, I got the Brawl disk not reading issue some time ago, and sent it to Nintendo for cleaning. Well I got it back, turned it on and ALL my data had been erased. Has anyone else sent theirs off and got the same problem?

No, my Wii came back with saves intact. I'm going to call about this memory corruption though, if my Wii has to go away and looses data, i'll go absolutely mental (though they'll all be backed up where possible. . . Brawl).

Has anyone noticed random VC titles also not having the ability to be moved or copied? Never noticed it before.

OK, I got the Brawl disk not reading issue some time ago, and sent it to Nintendo for cleaning. Well I got it back, turned it on and ALL my data had been erased. Has anyone else sent theirs off and got the same problem?

YES.

What Nintendo do when you send your Wii in to them are rip out all the insides and put new ones in. The only thing you actually get back that you sent them is the original case. Then they just update the servers to allow you to download all your shot channel purchases again. Its a stupid system, but it ultimately means you get your console back faster. They don't even put it on the latest OS version.

BTW, I know this for a fact. The Machine address changed when I got mine back.

They ask you to leave a note in the box though. You could ask them to recover your save data I guess.

When I sent mine off, I left a note explaining what the problem was (dodgy disk reader) and a suggestion of what seems to be a logical solution (merely replace disk system) and they did it.

The Wii I got back was the same console - address, channels and save data intact - and sure enough: all that seemed to have changed was the discs all read properly and ran a hell of a lot smoother.

Maybe NA is different.

My Wii is incredibly loud, it's louder than a 360 when a disc is spinning for some reason. There's a noticeable buzzing there, and it only developed back in November/December... Discs seem to read fine. Sometimes before the Wii health screen displays when I load a game up, there can be around a minute of just a black screen, in which my Wii Remote loses connection, but it always loads. Otherwise the console's fine. Cause for concern? Anyone else had this issue?

My Wii is incredibly loud, it's louder than a 360 when a disc is spinning for some reason. There's a noticeable buzzing there, and it only developed back in November/December... Discs seem to read fine. Sometimes before the Wii health screen displays when I load a game up, there can be around a minute of just a black screen, in which my Wii Remote loses connection, but it always loads. Otherwise the console's fine. Cause for concern? Anyone else had this issue?

Mine is touch and go occassionally - even after repair. Little King's Story wouldn't load first time I put it in yesterday. Took it out, cleaned the disc and it was fine. Today, it span a little noisily.

It just seems a bit designically temperamental, which is weird for a Nintendo console.

Well, today all my Wii started giving me a Disc read error mesage with all my games. Wii sports won't make it past the Wiimote strap screen, Brawl stops after loading the intro, Mario kart let me play through mushroom cup, then got the same error message after the cup movie. Punch out Wii still works but with longer loading times before rounds.

I'm guessing there's no way to fix this myself? My Wii is about a year and a half old but I can't seem to find the recipt.

Well, today all my Wii started giving me a Disc read error mesage with all my games. Wii sports won't make it past the Wiimote strap screen, Brawl stops after loading the intro, Mario kart let me play through mushroom cup, then got the same error message after the cup movie. Punch out Wii still works but with longer loading times before rounds.

I'm guessing there's no way to fix this myself? My Wii is about a year and a half old but I can't seem to find the recipt.

Back up your data now, even if you're not going to send it in right away. My console was freezing during game loading (though, with no error message) and after retrying a few times, I couldn't get past the health and safety screen.

Why can't Nintendo have a backup channel that puts all your data (save, Miis, downloadable games) on the SD card automatically once a week. Or allow you to re-download all your VC/Wii Ware games at once to an SD card...

Back up your data now, even if you're not going to send it in right away. My console was freezing during game loading (though, with no error message) and after retrying a few times, I couldn't get past the health and safety screen.

Yeah I'll do that. i can copy most of my save files to an SD card apart from Mario Kart and Smash brothers Brawl. And save my Mii's to the Wiimote memory.

I'm guessing whether the data gets whiped depends on why the Wii is not working. If anyone here has had their Wii fixed after a it not being able to play discs, did they keep your Wii's saves and stuff? I also concerned about all the Virtual console Wiiware games I've got.

As Da Prod said above, you need to specifically ask them to keep all your Miis and saves. Don't leave it to chance.

Yeah I'll do that. i can copy most of my save files to an SD card apart from Mario Kart and Smash brothers Brawl. And save my Mii's to the Wiimote memory.

I'm guessing whether the data gets whiped depends on why the Wii is not working. If anyone here has had their Wii fixed after a it not being able to play discs, did they keep your Wii's saves and stuff? I also concerned about all the Virtual console Wiiware games I've got.

Don't be concerned about Wii Ware and VC games. Whatever happens, they do make sure you can re-download them, even if they just give you a new console.

I have a Wii in my room and my mother's partner has one in the living room. I am correct in believing the only way I can play my saved data is to physically take mine downstairs and hook it up yes?

Okay I need some help here. I updated my Wii with the firmware along with The Conduit, now whenever I turn on my Wii, it's like it auto freezes. It's just a black screen, nothing appears, Wii-motes won't connect and I need to pull it the power cable to turn it off. I checked to see if it was bricked, but it isn't since I don't get any messages appearing on my screen. It's just blackness.