NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

For the ones that want comparison pictures between RGB and composite. It really depends on the TV so the results might not be the same but here's a good comparison in a post I did a few months ago on the GameCube. It should be similar to the Wii of course:

As promised, here are the comparison pictures between Composite and RGB on my GameCube, used in a Samsung HDTV.

Composite 480i:

img001na0.jpg

RGB 480i:

img000gd9.jpg

As you can see the difference is ridiculously obvious. Composite signal on an HDTV is really ugly and should be avoided at all costs. It looks even worse than that, as the crappy camera hides some differences.

I also used the RGB on a SDTV and there was a good difference too, although in the HDTV it is much more noticeable, as seen in those pictures.

Wow , I'm quite impressed. I only posted the Wii back last Monday and it has come back today.

What was really surprising though , I put a note in the box asking them to clean the thing but NOT to run the 3.3 update (I had convinced myself they would) and just to make sure the disc worked as I wanted to use the alternative freeloader boot method.

And they did just that , so my importing is still safe (for the time being anyway).

I purchased a monitor today and I'm planning on buying one of these to hook my Wii up to it. Does anyone know if they're any good?

Well, I haven't been following this thread actually. So I'm not sure it's in the correct forum and if it's asked before.

For awhile now, I have my Wii connected to a new router (Sitecom WL-173), which is suited according to the compatibility list on Nintendo's site. I can get connected to it and get surf the net, go to the Shop Channel, but somehow it manages to lose my connection the moment I turn off the Wii.

It very annoying and I have no idea what's wrong. The a Turbo mode on this router, but i haven't enabled it. Somebody got a similar problem?

I have a prob: If i want to join a friends game, i get a data transimission ( error 86420 )prob, if he wants to join a game of me, he gets te prob too, but if i search a game with anyone theres no prob.The wifi community says if i can join a game with anyone but not a game of a friend, the friends firewall settings are wrong or my firewall settings because he cant join in my game too, but what exactly do i have to do ? can some1help me PLS?

I have a prob: If i want to join a friends game, i get a data transimission ( error 86420 )prob, if he wants to join a game of me, he gets te prob too, but if i search a game with anyone theres no prob.The wifi community says if i can join a game with anyone but not a game of a friend, the friends firewall settings are wrong or my firewall settings because he cant join in my game too, but what exactly do i have to do ? can some1help me PLS?

I'm just about to buy a component cable for my Wii. Just wondering what difference there is, if any, between the official cable (£16.48) and a cheap version (£2.14 upwards).

[Prices taken from Amazon by the way.]

I have read that several of the cheaper leads are really bad quality and obviously I would avoid anything with such a review but surely there must be several cheapy cables out there that do exactly the same job as the official one without having to pay for the Nintendo badge.

Any help or previous experiences much appreciated.

If you don't know what to buy, just like at the price...

Erm... thanks for your input but this doesn't really answer my question :wtf:

I recently bought a monitor and It came with a VGA cable. So I just used a DVI to VGA adapter and plugged it in that way. But The monitor also does DVI, and it being digital I wanted to use that instead if I could find a cheap cable. Unfortunately most DVI cables are very expensive. In the end I found a Monster DVI-400 cable for half price and I couldn't believe the difference using a high quality cable made. Though, since VGA and DVI are very different, its not the best comparison, but sometimes you're better going for the more expensive when it comes to cables and stuff like that.

If the cheap ones are so cheap, why not buy them and if you don't like them, just get the better ones.

If the cheap ones are so cheap, why not buy them and if you don't like them, just get the better ones.

I'm sort of hoping someone has already done that and has the answer to my question.

I'm sure if I got a cheap one it would look better but would it look as good as the top price one?

To be honest I will probably get the expensive one but hoping someone might say: "the XXX Cable is exactly the same as the official Nintendo Cable but without the Nintendo badge and is half the price"

I think I have the GAME branded component cable, and it suits me fine. At the time it was around the same price as nintendo's offering. But the GAME one was in stock during the great component cable drought of 06.

Usually, analogue signals like component will benefit from higher quality cables. With digital signal's it doesn't make much difference, unless your going long distances.

I'd go with the cheaper one, if you arn't happy, try the official. We're only talking a few quid lost after all. If the delivery cost drives up the price though, I'd probably go with the more expensive one. As amazon are more likely to offer you free delivery.

In most cases, all cables of different manufacturers fair the same, its the same copper wiring etc after all. But people are always sucker-punched into thinking 'official' means 'superior', so if you buy the cheaper cable later down the line you're going to be thinking how better may that 'superior' one be... Might as well just get the official before this happens.

Yeah, me thinks I will get the official one. Amazon do free delivery over £15 so the £16.48 is a delivered price. The cheap ones can end up being £6+ by the time you add postage so I guess we are only talking £10 difference in the end.

Unless someone suggests a cable that is actually better than the official Nintendo one at the same price or less (hardly likely) then I guess this is the way to go.

Actually King_V, it does matter. Thicker copper means less resistance on the wire, meaning better image. It's not the official sticker per se, but Nintendo does make high quality, thick cables.

You can probably go a bit cheaper than official ones, but I wouldn't buy two pound cables.

my wii is really ******* me off. Got a copy of Mario kart for the wii today hand havnt managed to do one GP yet because of the crap console that keeps freezing. It been doing it for months but i cant replace it because I have over £150 worth of vc games. I dont want to send it to nintendo to repair cuz that will take forever.

My only hope is that the firmwire 3.4 update will fix it

i bought the wii component cable before for my 32 philips hd tv but had to give it back cause for audio u need a digital in audio cable, which the wii component cable uses different ones? Anyone know anythin bout this and could help me out

So, your TV doesn't have RCA input for audio for component. I don't think I've ever seen a TV that didn't.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Wii doesn't do digital audio.

Also. I bought a Mayflash Wii VGA cable a week or so ago from play asia, and it having to ship from china, it hasn't come yet. I'm wondering, does anyone have experience using the Mayflash one with a 1680x1050 monitor? I don't really care about the pixelatedness. I more care if it will work properly.

Edit: I got the cable. It works wonderfully, though I do get the occasional black flash.

I've just had the same issue I had with my Gamecube. I feel royally screwed by Nintendo right now.

The disks won't register in my console anymore. I've sent an e-mail to Nintendo of Europe about it currently.

I don't mean to drag up an old thread, but this is pretty much exactly what I've tried.

Modding a D-Terminal to VGA simply does not work, at all. I've spent a week or so testing different pin maps and it's simply not playing ball, not even close to it.

I stumbled across a site which talked about this subject, I can't find the link for love nor money, and it seems that the cable would need to be tricked into outputting two things at the same time, I looked into doing that too, but had no luck getting that working. That said, I'm not an electronics genius, so it could well be that it's just above my level.

For reference, I'm using a BenQ G2400W, and a PAL Wii.

I get the sinking feeling that this is certainly a VGA box job, or capture card job.

Oh, Flaight, it is Component based. Three video cables inside the cable that output a couple of different video standards, but component is one of them that they will collectively output

Are you doing it for the challenge, or aren't you aware there are actually (several) Wii to VGA cables available?

Read it's easier to convert component to VGA, too.

I'd recommend getting a Mayflash Wii VGA cable, I bought one a few weeks ago and its great. It also comes with an RCA audio to headphone adapter and a VGA gender changer so it isn't that bad a deal. The Vidgit one is also supposed to be pretty good.

Over the past couple of weeks my Wii's regularly crashed. Its crashed going to Disk Channel, with and without disks in, both Wii and Cube software, going to the Internet Channel, and going to and from VC downloads. I've no idea why. I've had no new games since Brawl (it has crashed with Brawl, but not exclusively), no new firmware or VC/WiiWare downloaded to corrupt. Its all very strange. Most likely, it'll be popped in the post to the Service Centre. But any thoughts?

Would a memory format be worth it? Does a memory format loose gameplay data, Wii System Numbers etc?

Has anyone experienced out of warranty repairs at Nintendo? What are the costs like?

only problem i've had is with the opera browser.. some web sites just crashes it.. nothing to do but take the power from the wii and plug it back in.. it just freezes