NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

So s-video would support 480p if composite would run in 480p?

Also, considering my TV box has a VGA-in port and seems to have an upscale chip inside (haven't had the chance to test it properly yet, but it 'supporting' monitor resolutions of 800x600 to 1440x900 is good evidence) would VGA be a better option than s-video?

Thanks for the quick reply pedro :)

So s-video would support 480p if composite would run in 480p?

Also, considering my TV box has a VGA-in port and seems to have an upscale chip inside (haven't had the chance to test it properly yet, but it 'supporting' monitor resolutions of 800x600 to 1440x900 is good evidence) would VGA be a better option than s-video?

Thanks for the quick reply pedro :)

In S-video it wouldn't be 480p, but it would have much more detail, close to RGB, minus the separated color channels (but still miles over composite colors)

I'm still thinking about the new VGA cable and why PAL is not mentioned in that... but in betting not only on the fact that it wasn't tested, but also that, when linked directly to a LCD PC screen it probably gives no image if the signal isn't progressive (some cube and wii games), so it would only help if your VGA box somehow de-interlaces signal.

In short... I'd wait to see people testing the cable and knowing if there's any catch.

Yeah, it's confirmed to only work with progressive scan games. That's not a problem as I can live with a composite cable for my Cube games. I'll wait for tests though, and probably for European distribution too.

I thought that the composite's progressive scan made more of an impact than s-video's colours, but I guess it doesn't. Thanks for the help.

I thought that the composite's progressive scan made more of an impact than s-video's colours, but I guess it doesn't. Thanks for the help.
You mean component progressive scan right? since progressive scan isn't possible through composite.

But you're right, progressive scan is a good improvement over S-video, color is better and closer to what they should be and of course, it's de-interlaced... still composite outputs something like 220 horizontal lines while S-video goes over 400 lines, so while it's not RGB or composite it's definitely a improvement, something of a middleterm but still a lot better than composite. (more detail and at least gets rid of the rainbow effects)

Alright guys, have a lil problem here and it's pissing me off!

I bought some Wii points today because I figured I might aswell download some games but when I tried to get online it wouldn't work. Seems that the damn Wii can't find the router at all (when I do search for access point that is). Either when I manually key in the WEP key and the SSIS one or whatever it is, it ain't working. ANy ideas why?

If it helps, its a BT Home HUb I'm trying to connect to.

Cheers!

my Wii makes a terrible sound sometimes when it auto reboots when turning back from a game to the Wii menu. it sounds like the discdrive suddenly stops but the disc it self is still spinning. i am glad it doenst scratch it but still the sound it shocking. it doesnt happen every time but once in a while. 1/30 ratio +/-

dit this problem happen to some one else to?

is it worth checking out by Nintendo?

please let me know.

I want to get a box to plug all my console component leads into as I have limited connections on my samsung TV, are these any good:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290150788872

Or can someone point me in the direction of a decent set. I don't mind paying a bit extra if I can get a great picture.

Found a couple more, any thoughts are appreciated.

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=BTECH-BT947

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AV-Control-Centre-Xbox-360/dp/B000BBRG5K

my Wii makes a terrible sound sometimes when it auto reboots when turning back from a game to the Wii menu. it sounds like the discdrive suddenly stops but the disc it self is still spinning. i am glad it doenst scratch it but still the sound it shocking. it doesnt happen every time but once in a while. 1/30 ratio +/-

dit this problem happen to some one else to?

is it worth checking out by Nintendo?

please let me know.

Hm, I might have experienced what you describe there (though I'm not sure) and I think you're right about the disc-spinning thing. I don't think it's anything to worry about, though, as it doesn't scratch the discs.

indeed it doesn't scratch it but in the long term what will the results be of that noise

Well, as it doesn't scratch it visibly now, it won't in the future. If it does leave a minimal amount of scratching, it will have to scratch the CD the exact same place every time before it gets serious. I can't think of other side effects, unless it's a sign that there's something wrong with the Wii. I doubt it, though, as I think it's quite common that CD's might spin a little extra sometimes. It just makes a very disturbing noise, just like when you're at the dentist.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't really know anything about CD technology, so I might be way off.

Well, as it doesn't scratch it visibly now, it won't in the future. If it does leave a minimal amount of scratching, it will have to scratch the CD the exact same place every time before it gets serious. I can't think of other side effects, unless it's a sign that there's something wrong with the Wii. I doubt it, though, as I think it's quite common that CD's might spin a little extra sometimes. It just makes a very disturbing noise, just like when you're at the dentist.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't really know anything about CD technology, so I might be way off.

well Dann i do not care about the discs because of the fact that you told me about but it is the hard ware itself that i am worry about.

Anyone know the length of time it takes for Ninty to fix a Wii? Mine's been gone since the 3rd August and still no return. :wtf: How long has it taken for some of you?

So just to check if my Wii has lots of coloured pixels on the screen when there shouldn't be does that mean I should contact Nintendo?

Also how long will I be missing my Wii if I do?

I just got the VDigi cable. The image is quite good; don't expect to get an HD resolution, but there's really nothing to complain except for some minor artifacting only visible in the Wii Menu. Though the image is sharp and fluent, you can still count pixels on screen if you sit close. To solve that, don't sit close! If you have a Samsung monitor, I can recommend switching on MagicBright as it really makes for a more vivid image.

The only thing bothering me so far is the sound. At first I thought that the cables were crap but it seems I don't have a decent line-in on my laptop or external sound card, meaning there's a lot crack noises. As the two line-ins give different cracks at different times, I think the sound RCAs from the VDigi cable are good enough and it's my horrible line-ins screwing up.

A couple of questions, not really "issues", but any help is appreciated:

-I want to deleted all content from my Wii (except the settings + the shop channel info, because I have nearly 40 games that I don't want to lose... :smile: ), so I can re-download all games. I originally downloaded them using a wireless wifi connection, but the distance between my computer (where the USB connector is) and the console is a bit significant and the signal is very weak and unstable; since I'm a bit paranoid about data corruption with the downloads due to the less than optimal conditions, and since I'm about to receive a LAN adapter to connect it directly, I want to download all games in "safer" conditions.

Can I use the format option on the settings menu (will it delete the store's info), or do I have to manually deleted everything?

-also, my console got pretty dirty (it has some black spots for some reason); what do you guys use to clean it without scratching it too much?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the latest firmware update will be available on upcoming game discs? I cant seem to download the update. Keep getting 32004 error messages. I can go online with the Opera browser and I was able to download VC games so I dont know what the problem is.

I've tried turning my firewall off and other settings but nothing seems to work. I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router.

Any help would be welcome

Thanks!

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the latest firmware update will be available on upcoming game discs? I cant seem to download the update. Keep getting 32004 error messages. I can go online with the Opera browser and I was able to download VC games so I dont know what the problem is.

I've tried turning my firewall off and other settings but nothing seems to work. I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router.

Any help would be welcome

Thanks!

Some firmware updates already came with some games like Resident Evil 4 and Trauma Center IIRC. So I suspect games like Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy will have an update as well, I can't say for sure though.

I just got the VDigi cable. The image is quite good; don't expect to get an HD resolution, but there's really nothing to complain except for some minor artifacting only visible in the Wii Menu. Though the image is sharp and fluent, you can still count pixels on screen if you sit close. To solve that, don't sit close! If you have a Samsung monitor, I can recommend switching on MagicBright as it really makes for a more vivid image.

The only thing bothering me so far is the sound. At first I thought that the cables were crap but it seems I don't have a decent line-in on my laptop or external sound card, meaning there's a lot crack noises. As the two line-ins give different cracks at different times, I think the sound RCAs from the VDigi cable are good enough and it's my horrible line-ins screwing up.

Sounds very promising. I'm sitting on the fence about this cable currently, but it does seem like the ultimate solution to everyones VGA problems.

I'm confused though about your comment saying don't expect to get a HD resolution? As the cable only supports 480p, so that is the best you'll get anyway. I'm guessing your concern is just about sitting close and seeing the pixels. I plan to pick the cable up once Metroid Prime 3 is released, and I'll be using it on a 19" WS.

Wanna post up any screens DCK?

Sounds very promising. I'm sitting on the fence about this cable currently, but it does seem like the ultimate solution to everyones VGA problems.

I'm confused though about your comment saying don't expect to get a HD resolution? As the cable only supports 480p, so that is the best you'll get anyway. I'm guessing your concern is just about sitting close and seeing the pixels. I plan to pick the cable up once Metroid Prime 3 is released, and I'll be using it on a 19" WS.

Wanna post up any screens DCK?

Well, the HD resolution comment means that it doesn't look miles better than on your average TV; in fact, it doesn't really if you're used to the RGB cable's quality. Progressive scan makes it look clearer and neater but at the same time it sharpens out the edges - the image is rather aliased. I'm happy enough I can play on my monitor though, as it's all I can play on.

The annoying thing is that I can't actually play though, as I either don't have sound or very crappy sound. I need to get me a quality laptop sound card, but they're expensive as hell. I've verified that the VDigi cable's sound is good, but it's my line-in sucking horribly.

I can't give you screens either as I don't have a camera. Hopefully my new phone will come soon, then I'll post some pics.

I recommend you buy a separate sound system or an amp, and put the audio through that. Luckily my monitor has audio-in and audio out, which I can then plug my speaker system for my PC into the latter. And cheers for the reply, and would be wicked if you could put a few screens up.

Alright guys i have a vague idea of something being wrong with my wii, but i just want to see what you guys think. I was playing some super paper mario yesterday when all of a sudden all the lights and anything plugged into the sockets just turned off for a minute. Everything else is still working except for the wii. Any ideas of what i can do seeing as i only got it at christmas, or somewhere i can go to check out whats actually wrong with it.

I don't believe it! Got my Wii back from Nintendo today (after almost 2 months) and they haven't even fixed it. That's more then annoying, I though MS were supposed to be unreliable.