NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

No. Look closely to the 3.5mm stereo jack. It has three separated metal parts, one for ground, one for left channel and one for right channel. So it doesn't do anything other to the signal than transforming it from two rca's to one 3.5mm plug. And my guess is that the tv's port is stereo as well. And this should be cheaper than an rgb cable + you can use the progressive mode.

Unfortunately, that still won't fix the problems I had with Virtual Console. Seems like there's some incompatibility between VGA and component, I can't think of any other reason the graphics would screw up so much on lower resolutions.

Twilight princess. Vertical lines (bars?) sometimes just white/cleartypecolour or red/green down the screen. Not always noticable, but always there. Especially horrible at Death Mountain/Hyrule Fields/Underwater (I've just started the third temple). I have an oficial PAL Component cable and the game set to progressive and widescreen (though it till does it on 561 and 480i). Does anyone know why...? NOTES: Hitachi 32" widescreen. It does support 480p.

Question two: why doesn't this game have proper widescreen? Even with the machine set to widescreen, putting it on widesreen on the TV seems to leave it stretched vertically (with top and bottowm bits cut of, and characters looking too tall). Puting it to full doesn't help (it's a widescreen TV, so putting a widescren source to full should still result in widescreen) but that squashes the picture. All other widescreen sources work fine. Why is Zelda doing this...? (Heck, even the Wii menu system does it...)

For anyone thinking bout buying component cables. (It's 480i vs 480p though)

Cool vid, but shouldn't people be doing this with a game that actually supports 480p. A game like TP has not been designed for 480p, so I don't think it's going to show that much difference. Now, if you showed the difference when running a game that does support 480p (Monkey Ball for example) then you may see a vast difference.

Just my opinion.

Cool vid, but shouldn't people be doing this with a game that actually supports 480p. A game like TP has not been designed for 480p, so I don't think it's going to show that much difference. Now, if you showed the difference when running a game that does support 480p (Monkey Ball for example) then you may see a vast difference.

Just my opinion.

What? You don't design games for 480p, it's just an improved signal quality. Even if that made sense, Zelda has been designed for 480p anyway, like most GC 1st party games.

Well gameplay have shipped mine...dunno if i'll like the difference as it will be a shrink in resolution (am running on 50hz/576i and it looks great). But still, if I still ran it in 50hz with component, the picture would still be clearer would it not?

Any idea why my component cables haven't arrived yet? Play-asia shipped them on December 30th. :(

I'll have to send them a mail.

Well gameplay have shipped mine...dunno if i'll like the difference as it will be a shrink in resolution (am running on 50hz/576i and it looks great). But still, if I still ran it in 50hz with component, the picture would still be clearer would it not?

It would be clearer and colours would be much more vivid.

Hello i was wondering is everyone's wii making this sound?? when you insert a disk into the drive, it beeps then the disk is spinning constantly while idleing on the menu. The disk doesn't stop spinning at all until you go into the other channels like weather/shop.

Is your wii drive spinning constantly (loud) on the menu? Well not very LOUD but its noticably loud.

Is this normal?

Not super loud, but like most CD-playing devices. I must admit though, my Wii is pretty quiet. Loudest consoles I have has to be my PS2. Sometimes it sounds so loud it blankens the game music out...thank heavens for headphones. Anymore to be more precise...if the sound is smooth and continous and soft, then it's okay. It should really only change sound and go louder when loading something. If it's stuttering, then I'd say there's something wrong.

On another subject...

For anyone else having the same screen trouble as me, this will help (as in dash your hopes of there actually being something wrong to fix...if that counts) go here...

Site with info about picture quality.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130400&page=5

Well thats good, i like the visual change but they didnt make the cables long enough for my audio to go into my decoder for my 5.1 :(

Annoyingly, the decoder is right below my tv in the form of my DVD player and they still wont reach

Thanks Nintendo, back to Composite I go

What? You don't design games for 480p, it's just an improved signal quality. Even if that made sense, Zelda has been designed for 480p anyway, like most GC 1st party games.

OK, I was just going by the little icons that appear on the game boxes. Since they are there on Monkey Ball and not on Zelda, I just assumed.

Annoyingly, the decoder is right below my tv in the form of my DVD player and they still wont reach

Thanks Nintendo, back to Composite I go

I think you can force the 2 audio cables to separate from the 3 visual cables. Just pull them aside and the plastic between them will break. Maybe that way it reaches your decoder. Either that, or i misunderstood your problem.

RGB Scart is as good or better than S-Video anyway.

No, most TVs with a scart input nowadays support RGB, but some don't. Check your TV manual or the back of your TV. Also, about TVs with more than one scart input: usually only one of the inputs supports RGB.

Thanks for your help, I now have an official RGB SCART cable (I can recommend it too anyone who hasn't got an HDTV) and Zelda looks even more amazing than ever!

I think you can force the 2 audio cables to separate from the 3 visual cables. Just pull them aside and the plastic between them will break. Maybe that way it reaches your decoder. Either that, or i misunderstood your problem.
I know what you mean, (I did that with the standard AV cable for N64) but it's not possible with the official component cable because all 5 cables go into a piece of plastic (about 4 inches from where the plugs are) and then it becomes a single cable from that point onwards, until it connects to the Wii.

Well thats good, i like the visual change but they didnt make the cables long enough for my audio to go into my decoder for my 5.1 :(

I had the same problem, fixed it with a cable similar to this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=21364&criteria=phono&doy=13m1

And there was no noticeable loss in sound quality whatsoever.

Thanks for your help, I now have an official RGB SCART cable (I can recommend it too anyone who hasn't got an HDTV) and Zelda looks even more amazing than ever!

What, you mean RGB is out then? Haven't seen it around :confused:

Did that, still not enough room. Have boughtr some extenders tho so now it should work

Just started playing Wario Ware, earlier i tested with Zelda but this is relaly so much cleaner and crisper and I'm not noticing "Jaggies" as you guys claim

I'm not noticing "Jaggies" as you guys claim
Play some Wii Sports or Wii Play, then you'll see the jaggies. :wink:

Well I did pop Wind Waker in and saw it was much much sharper...over time I'll just lower the sharpness but I can live with it as it is

I do notice though that some games do have a crazy black border on the left and right when they didnt on composite but im guessing thats a 480p issue

Well I did pop Wind Waker in and saw it was much much sharper...over time I'll just lower the sharpness but I can live with it as it is
I'm actually yet to try a GCN game on my Wii, so I might do that later on.

I've lowered the sharpness on my TV to as low as it can go. I found it's much better to have it set that way, otherwise I get that effect where there's a glow around certain objects and text.

If anyone is trying to calibrate their LCD TV, this site has got a pretty good guide:

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcd-tv-calibration.html

I do notice though that some games do have a crazy black border on the left and right when they didnt on composite but im guessing thats a 480p issue
Hmm...What games?

I've only noticed that on Red Steel and Monkey Ball, and it was the same on composite. Oh, and WarioWare too, I think it's because they don't support widescreen.

Ah that makes sense. Anyway I'm happy with it as is. I tried Wii Sports out and there werent that many jaggies so I'm happy :)

Is there an official PS2 RGB cable around anywhere, a quick search on play.com says no, but maybe someone knows otherwise.

Is there an official PS2 RGB cable around anywhere, a quick search on play.com says no, but maybe someone knows otherwise.

I checked in my local Sony centre just the other day actually and they said there aren't any available (i'm guessing they just meant official ones), but I haven't seen any others around.

Not sure about the availability of Wii RGB Cables over here but they are out there somewhere. I checked in GAME and they had one behind the counter, looked like the last one mind you.