NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

Do component cables work on any TV? the scart socket doesnt work with my Wii or Xbox, is just all flicky, so use the composite cables, do the component ones just go in here?

When the Wii (or the Revolution as it was called at the time) was announced Iwata said it would run on a monitor too. Is it still happening?

Do component cables work on any TV? the scart socket doesnt work with my Wii or Xbox, is just all flicky, so use the composite cables, do the component ones just go in here?

That sounds like the SCART socket you're using isn't an RGB socket, which would mean an RGB cable will look crap through it, all flickery and maybe even black and white. Most Euro TVs have at least one RGB socket, and if there is more than one SCART socket, the RGB is usually the first one. So check again on your TV, you may be just using the wrong one!

Component cables can't go into the composite (red, white, yellow) socket! They're RCA jacks, but nothing will happen if you were to plug them into the composite sockets. Component cables need the component red/green/blue sockets. :)

Progressive scan is progressive scan no matter is being displayed; 480p will definitely look every bit as good as it did on GCN, but hopefully that bit better because of Wii's improved visual capabilities.

Is there an improvement in Wii's 480p resolution, when compared to Gamecubes?

Considering EU games didn't do 480p this is a big improvement.

There's no advantage in US games though, 480p will be 480p.

That sounds like the SCART socket you're using isn't an RGB socket, which would mean an RGB cable will look crap through it, all flickery and maybe even black and white. Most Euro TVs have at least one RGB socket, and if there is more than one SCART socket, the RGB is usually the first one. So check again on your TV, you may be just using the wrong one!

Nah only one socket, it works on my DVD player, just not my consoles, odd, looks like tis just composite for me, or there is an S Video socket, my tv is odd, lovely flat screen, but seems to have problems with consoles sumtimes, quite abit on my xbox i have noticed the graphics are blurrer than they used to be on my old portable.

Hmm...something that may be a potential worry for videophiles here. I emailed Nintendo UK asking if they could confirm that the Wii will support Prog Scan in Europe, and I got a reply saying that they could not confirm it for me. Maybe it's nothing to worry about and it's just a standard issue, but if Nintendo pull out of 480p support for Europe, I'll cry.

I dont see why they would. 90% of tvs for sale now support it, they're actually releasing component cables for it now rather than forcing you to input. Chances are it has it

So, if I want the best looking Wiiness, I should order a Component cable? (which is only £17 from Amazon)

Hey guys!

I found this thread while doing a Google search for similar information and it has been very helpful.

I'm from Australia and I recently bought a widescreen CRT which has two SCART imputs at the back that both support RGB. I got the TV for a really good price and I am in no hurry to change since I currently find HD television prices to be far too expensive and my main console will be the Wii anyway.

I was just wondering whether it has been confirmed whether Nintendo are releasing RGB SCART cables for purchase when the Wii launches? SCART is uncommon in Australia (though not nearly as uncommon as the US) and I noticed that someone said the GameCube RGB SCART cables will not be compatible with the Wii. If they will be available I would like to be pointed in the direction of where I could pre-order, if not, what are my best options? The TV does not support component and there is no mention of Progressive Scan in the manual.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thankyou!

I'm a bit worried now. Some are saying in Europe the Wii will only do 480i/p (including the Q&A here) which doesnt make sense as thats not a PAL output and thus the majority of Hi-Definition TVs and just ordinary TVs won't be able to support it as they only support 576+ iirc

Or am I being an idiot?

The Wii does 480i/p in 60hz and 576i/p in 50hz. So you get the normal PAL resolution but the game runs slower (So it's no good)

BTW, I've got my eyes set on one of those 32" R7 series Sammy LCDs (Game mode and price appeal to me. I've given up looking for a viable 480p solution so I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation) How are they with upscaling?

BTW if anyone is wondering what this "Game mode" is, it's a mode that turns off most of the processing to cut down on scaling lag.

Does the Cube work on the same principle in 50/60hz? i.e. 576i in 50 and 480i in 60? If so then i should be fine

Samsung TVs are awesome. I got myself one a couple weeks back and they do wonders. The games look great on them and I'm only using Composite Cabling. Its great. However you will need to fine tune the picture from the start. Luckily they save the picture settings differently for each channel!

PAL 60 is 60hz. PAL 60 = 640 x 480 (or 852 x 480 for widescreen) at 60hz. This is the same as NTSC, PAL 50 is higher resolution but only runs at 50hz. Since 50hz is crap with games, there's no point even thinking about it since you'll want to run it in PAL 60 anyway.

So that's why we all say it just runs in 480p.

The good... Yes.

The bad... certainly not directly out-of-the-box.

chances are... modified component cables into VGA ones. the downfall is... probably not available at launch, if Nintendo doesn't make them... and won't give off signal when PAL games are outputting at 50 Hz since PC monitors won't allow that refresh rate, it's unknown if Wii forces progressive scan and 60 Hz in GC games.

That or... VGA box... the downfall in that is... unknown if any of them supports EDTV resolutions (853x480) with progressive scan.

Other choices: using a ViVo (video-in video-out) graphics card... or (very bad quality) RF signal through a PC TV-card, if RF adapter is available for wii, that is.

Bare in mind that there are PC monitors with component-in already (from asus for example), I don't know how good is their upscale is, but I know they won't cost £140... sadly.

it does appear to be a hidden cost for the wii. If you want to buy a nice new LCD monitor, you are forced to buy an LCD tv for a lot more. £100-£150++. The options of USB tv cards, VGA boxes, Upscalers dont really seem to work in terms of cost or quality. :( Maybe a third party will recognise the demand and do something for us.

An xbox 360 outputs vga natively with the right cable (doesnt work for all xbox original games apparently though).