NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

Oh ok. Is it really a big improvement over using an RGB cable anyway?

Oh ok. Is it really a big improvement over using an RGB cable anyway?
On a TV that doesn't support progressive scan... expect no improvement at all, on a Progressive Scan TV... definetly.

Ah, thanks a lot. I have 2 TV's which support progressive scan I think. Can't wait to use my Wii on one of them. :)

Just a quickie, as I'm sure it's not been answered yet (or I'm blind):

Which is better RGB or S-Video?

Just a quickie, as I'm sure it's not been answered yet (or I'm blind):

Which is better RGB or S-Video?

It's RGB because of it's colors since it has separate cables and channels for Red, Green and Blue whereas S-video uses one cable to transmit image, it's similar in many ways to composite video, but better.

Composite is YUV and S-video is Y/C; Y stands for the brightness channel (greyscale information), and C is for color... while UV is two color channels, mixed. This two channels bring into play the dot crawl effect in composite (can be seen in the Wind Waker comparsion screenies).

This (dot crawling) problem doesn't happen in S-video, but S-video color information is nowhere as good as RGB.

It's RGB because of it's colors since it has separate cables and channels for Red, Green and Blue whereas S-video uses one cable to transmit image, it's similar in many ways to composite video, but better.

Composite is YUV and S-video is Y/C; Y stands for the brightness channel (greyscale information), and C is for color... while UV is two color channels, mixed. This two channels bring into play the dot crawl effect in composite (can be seen in the Wind Waker comparsion screenies).

This (dot crawling) problem doesn't happen in S-video, but S-video color information is nowhere as good as RGB.

Thank you, i was just wondering as my TV has a front S-video port and all the rear scart (RGB enabled) ports are in use... For my Cube I use the front composite RYW ports. But after seeing this thread I want to get a good picture for my Wii...

Check the manual. If it doesn't mention progressive scan anywhere it won't have it.

Rather than asking Nintendo Europe (or Nintendo UK), it would be far better to ask the games developers whether or not they intend to support progressive scan for their European releases.

Nintendo's presence in the UK for example, merely extends to a rather poor website + bulletin board and customer services. Out of that lot, I seriously doubt any of them have any insider technical knowledge of the Wii.

The games developers, on the other hand, will already know whether or not the European games will support progressive scan, and whether it's 480p or 576p, as they will have had to code it into their games.

I have asked Ubisoft via their FAQ site, so I'll let you know what they say (if anything).

Another good one to try might be EA.

Nice comparison pics, I'm definetely getting an S-video cable.

I'll make a pic of my Cube running Zelda in widescreen, you won't believe your eyes.

Yeah, ill do the same, but on november 19th.

OK guys, I've got a 17" CRT VGA monitor which I use for my computer at the moment... How do I make it work with my Wii, 360 and GameCube? :heh:

Thanks

if i can connect a wii directly to a computer monitor and play standard gc games without much hassle that will be the only reason I get one on launch

OK guys, I've got a 17" CRT VGA monitor which I use for my computer at the moment... How do I make it work with my Wii, 360 and GameCube? :heh:

Thanks

A CRT monitor? Haven't seen one of those in a while lol there are a few ways you can do this Moria, depending on what gear you have and how fussy you are about video quality. I'm not sure about the 360, it may have digital cables for the job so you'd need to check that one out or leave it for someone else to answer, but for GameCube and Wii:

Number one, you'll definitely need a good VGA box. This converts the signal from the console to digital to be displayed on the monitor; whether you're using composite cables or component cables makes a significant difference.

If composite, plug the cables into the VGA box and hook the box up to your monitor IN - job should be as simple as that. Depending on the specs of the monitor it should most likely be able to do 50Hz/60Hz no bother. I'm not sure about how good it looks on a monitor but I'm sure it looks just as balls as it does on a normal TV.

As for component cables - you need to make sure the converter box has component IN jacks (and that the GameCube you own has the DIGITAL OUT port, which was later removed) or else you're snookered, obviously. Again it's depending on your specs whether you'll be able to run progressive-supported games in progressive or not on the monitor. You'll get a much better picture with these cables even if you don't use progressive mode.

Check Lik-Sang or the likes for VGA boxes and other gear!

Edit - here's the job for you. Multi-Purpose VGA Box

I'm sure someone here uses this setup - await clarification on how good these things actually are :) hope it helps!

Thanks

Check my VGA cable thread.

I'm making a little sidestep here, but it is relevant to this thread... in a way.

Is it already known if Wii will have the ability to display Gamecube-games in glorious 16:9-vision? No big deal, but it'd be nice. :grin:

I'm making a little sidestep here, but it is relevant to this thread... in a way.

Is it already known if Wii will have the ability to display Gamecube-games in glorious 16:9-vision? No big deal, but it'd be nice. :grin:

If the gamecube game already supports it... yeah. but 853x480p mode... I doubt it.

As for forcing it... I dunno, but I doubt it, not all games have a transparent HUD, some games were really made for 4:3 and can't/shouldn't work that way, etc.

It would be needed a compatibility list for the console to know what games to force. Metroid Prime for example that can have a translucid HUD, but not completly transparent you could end with a 4:3 tile and in the sides of it completly transparent, and you can't simply scretch the hud horizontally.

Then we have another question, how does Wii run GC games? does it underclock to the GC clocks? since it can run those games native (no porting)?

And even on GC clocks since the console is faster that way still... wouldn't it mean better framerates already? would it affect some games?

If any of you guys wanna bag a component cable for your Wii.. get over to gameplay now as they have just put them up!.. you never know they might be hard to get hold of on launch day!

Mah...have been considering buying a new tv and goin HD since my current one needs an hour to turn on

Now theres all this scaling stuff and Standard stuff not looking good on it

DAMN YOU ALL

*cries*

How much of a problem is this supposed scaling?

How much of a problem is this supposed scaling?
Judging by the fact that Nintendo seem to demo Wii on nothing but HD LCD Screens (see my earlier post in this thread) I'd say not much of a problem at all.

I get the impression that the majority of these "LCD horror stories" come form people that have really nice TV's and then connect stuff via composite expecting it to look good.

Component and progressive scan will make the world of difference.

Ah, the thing is my Cube is on Composite atm and my Wii likely will be too

Guess if I do get this TV, I should order the component cable

I checked the HD Ultimate buying guide on CNet and it didn't mention this at all which made me raise an eyebrow when I saw it here

Good thing the Wii can play Cube games, but alas my N64, SNES & NES are a bit screwed in this regard

This is the one thing thats keeping me from getting my new tv. Nobody sells non-HD ready tvs anymore so we're all kinda stuck. Scaling cannot really be that much of an issue if this is pretty much the first I heard of it and even if you google it, you'll be hard pressed to find a result

Its prolly a myth like Plasma Screens burn and all that

Guess if I do get this TV, I should order the component cable
Absolutely, or at least RGB scart. But seeing as they're both the same price (according to Gameplay) you should go for Component.

This is the one thing thats keeping me from getting my new tv. Nobody sells non-HD ready tvs anymore so we're all kinda stuck.
And trying to get a decent widescreen CRT these days is almost impossible too, although I did manage to find one recently, a 28" JVC from Tescos. Very good TV with nice picture and sound quality and almost no geometry issues, apart from a little in the top left hand corner.

I was considering getting it for while, but it's too big / heavy for my room really so I'm going to get a 26" LCD instead. Anyway, the screen size on a 26" LCD will be around the same as a 28" CRT though, just minus all of the extra weight / depth. :awesome:

Meh. I'm having a hard time finding tvs that look good

I've found a couple but running Finding Nemo on them and you can see degredation in the quality which gravely concerns me

I don't wanna get one and have the Wii look like this x,x

Can someone post a pic of how their cube looks on an HD TV or somethin?

No they dont

I got my new HD TV and have my Cube connected via composite and it looks awesome still, a little blurry but awesome. Cant wait to see them via component on the Wii