NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Playstation RPGs.

Im in a RPG mood at the moment and was scouring ebay for some decent PSONE RPGs. I remember I loved Wild Arms and Grandia and was wondering what other decent RPGs were there on the PSONE apart from the FF series.

Suikoden was a great game; costs quite a bit nowadays; so maybe pass.

Alundra is a good 'un for fans of the Zelda series.

Star Ocean: The Second Story is one of the best RPG's available for the PSX in the UK.

Breath of Fire III was pretty awesome. Star Ocean is a must... outside of the FF games, PSone didnt do that much for me, tho... if you fancy imports, get Final Fantasy Tactics.

Star Ocean: The Second Story. This game made me buy a PS1.

Legend of Legaia

Breath of Fire III

There are some import games as well but I don´t know if you´re interested in those.

Thanks so far guys. I remember my mate had Breath of Fire 3 I think the main guy was called Ryu and it looked awesome. I will check out your suggestions on ebay.

Cheers

Ryu was in every BoF game, ever.

Wild Arms has recently been re-released on PS2 in the US, it's kinda a total remake with posh 3D graphics and updated gameplay systems. Check out RPGamer.com

Oh man, theres so many, but only if you've got a chipped PSone, If you don't then, unlucky.

The best Playstation RPG's are (in order of Greatness)

1. Chrono Cross

2. Final Fantasy 7

3. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

4. Thousand Arms

5. Vagrant Story

6. Wild Arms

7. Alundra (this is basically zelda: a link to the past but more crazy)

8. Final Fantasy 9

9. Persona (bloody difficult)

10. Final Fantasy Chronicles

those should be more than enough to keep you busy...

How the hell could I have forgotten Xenogears???!!

Never even heard of Valkyrie Profile though...

I recoment it... It's a great RPG indeed 2D action at it's best...

It's a story based on nordic european references (Odin) with a godess of death basically you participate in the deaths of the characters you have in your party, you save them (while they are already dead) in order to use them in your battle...

Awesome game, great graphics... real good setting.

I believe they are making a port for PSP now. there's one new Valkyrie profile coming for PS2 though.

Is the PSP version just a port of the PSONE version?

Is the PSP version just a port of the PSONE version?
yes it is... but now they have FMV's instead of in-game 2D graphics... I hate when they do that.

In that particular game it was perfect the view of the big catedral in 2D faking 3D... on the other hand they used mini video-clips for animating objects like a pilar falling or a door opening and those were kinda... bad compressed... so it's bound to look a lot better on PSP... still it's a shame that they did the FMV's :/

(The original had anime scenes though)

All in all it's a beautiful game.

You should get Grandia, it is rather excellent, shame they didnt release an English version on the Saturn.

...It came out on the PS1 and he's already played it...very good game, though not one of the best...

...It came out on the PS1 and he's already played it...very good game, though not one of the best...

Doh.. didnt notice, my bad. Grandia came out on the Saturn in Japan in 1997 and it was ported to the PS1 and released in US & Europe in 1999. I used to have Vagrant Story, it was quite a difficult game but rather impressive technically for the PS1, I got stuck on a boss battle fairly early and gave up.

Oh man, theres so many, but only if you've got a chipped PSone, If you don't then, unlucky.

The best Playstation RPG's are (in order of Greatness)

1. Chrono Cross

2. Final Fantasy 7

3. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

4. Thousand Arms

5. Vagrant Story

6. Wild Arms

7. Alundra (this is basically zelda: a link to the past but more crazy)

8. Final Fantasy 9

9. Persona (bloody difficult)

10. Final Fantasy Chronicles

those should be more than enough to keep you busy...

You seem to be missing something... FINAL FANTASY VIII! Why is it that people don't like it? It's such an amazing game, one of my greatest ever. It was very challenging, had an intelligent storyline, great system and amazing characters!

If you've got a ps1 and haven't played ffviii then buy it now!

Jade Cocoon was quite good, I especially loved the monster fusion system, unfortunately the game was released around about the same time as pokemon so was rather... vastly ignored and shunned as "a pokemon ripoff" or at least it was where im from despite it having an interesting story and different battle system.

Legend of Legaia... awesome game... loved the battle system on it, story basically revolved around a mist that shrouded the world, creatures called seru, when in the mist would go insane and kill anything in sight... problem being that humans and seru have been able to fuse together for eons so when the mist came along, anyone fused with a seru also went insane.

Grandia and Grandia 2 are great too.

Chrono Cross im actually playing right now again for about the 3th time

(love the music)

Alundra was enjoyable however try to avoid Alundra 2 like the plague... the story on it was pretty horrendus when compared to the original.

Suikoden was also good too.

Oh, and Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 (turn based strategy RPG)

You seem to be missing something... FINAL FANTASY VIII! Why is it that people don't like it? It's such an amazing game, one of my greatest ever. It was very challenging, had an intelligent storyline, great system and amazing characters!

I agree, I dont know why people dont like it. I think alot were put off by the Junction system but me personally I think its the best FF. The story was emotional from start to finish, the characters deep ( with the exception of a few ) and the music as always was awesome and dont get me started on the intro sequence.

I Agree, It was a great game...but I couldn't fill my list with final fantasy games, because I enjoyed 7 and 9 more, and Chronicles...well, I should have put that first because it has Chrono Trigger in it, but I didn't becuase the games on it had been out for ages anyway...

Suikoden 1 & 2

Grandia

Vandal Hearts

Final Fantasy 7-9 (or any of the re-released old FFs)