NEurope
Mucky.Fingers

Virgin Media Broadband - Opinions?

I'm currently in the process of sourcing a new ISP. Currently using AOL. I am paying for a 2mb connection but sadly only get 512 if I'm lucky!

After a brief bit of research Virgin Media does seem appealing. Unfortunately I am unable to get Sky as my landlord won't allow me to put a dish up!

Anyone here on Virgin? Opinions?

Cheers!

Virgin should be boycotted for supporting attempting to destroy net neutrality. They also cap you to 3gb during peak times and cap your connection afterwards. How much are you looking to spend per month?

Currently my aol bill is 14.99, so around the same? but prepared to spend more if required.

Please can you explain your 1st comment also? Thanks

This video explains it:

Also what area do you live in so I can see whats available to you?

Seems the options are quite limited.

My main reason for the change of supplier is to be able to download a lot more media (films, music etc) On my current connection It takes about 6 hours to download a film!

Surely someone can offer better than this?

Even with the 3mb virgin speed caps, its still 6x what I'm currently getting from AOL

Havn't been able to watch the video yet, as its taken an age to load! (suprise suprise)

thanks again

How far away are you from the exchange? Seems like by that link that you should get good speeds with aol, seems very strange... I wouldn't rule out line problems first out tbh :)

We had a LOT of problems with pipex internet and we found a direct telephone line (internally from main telephone line into house) fixed the problem. Ours was a pure hash and we had phone line extensions in our house. Apparently BT will not support a phone line over something like 15meters?

On some nights they randomly limit your speed to around 10Kbps.

After contacting AOL they have confirmed that as far as they are concerned I am receiving a 2mb connection. Now I have checked my gf's internet connection, she lives about 2 mins up the road, also on AOL.

Somethings not quite right here? Could this be a problem with my phone line?

Anyway to test the phone line?

Where i used to live in Halifax, West Yorkshire we had Virgin. We were previously a Telewest area and as such the better part of the VM network.

If you want a really fast connection (i'd say 95% of the time you'de get close to full speed) cable is the only way to go.

Can't say i've ever had any trouble with Virgin, you have a 3gb a day download limit, if you go over they cap you to 5mb for 24hours. But 3gb a day is a hell of a lot.

I've never had a problem with Virgin, although £18 is a bit too much. NTL had a few problems years ago, but my cable broadband connection hasnt had a problem in ages.

Does the 3gb cap apply to their faster speeds as well? Im thinking of switching over to Sky and I guess that's an ADSL connection right?

Agree with this.

Or Be, although I pay for 24meg and get like 8 lol. Still the best broadband though.

Or Be, although I pay for 24meg and get like 8 lol. Still the best broadband though.

O2 is Be, they bought them over a few months back ;)

I pay for up to 8mb and get 6mb for only £7.50 per month :smile:

I pay for up to 8mb and get 6mb for only £7.50 per month :smile:

I don't pay for it anyway. :smile:

o2/be are great, so much better than everyone else suggested here.

talktalk are worse than aol. srsly.

I'm on Wanadoo/Orange or whatever it is called these days. It's pretty good, i pay for a 4mb connection, which i get about 2-3mb with no cap on the download limit. And it is wireless around the house, but wired to the router. I've had no problems with the connection.

I'm on Wanadoo/Orange or whatever it is called these days. It's pretty good, i pay for a 4mb connection, which i get about 2-3mb with no cap on the download limit. And it is wireless around the house, but wired to the router. I've had no problems with the connection.

Is it your own router? Back at home my parents have Orange. And the Orange Livebox is the worst router I've ever used.

well i bit the bullet and went for virgin, and I'm very happy i did. I am getting as close to 8mb as can be expected, fantastic so far! :)