NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

Cheap Eee PC?

Its all about the Eee pc 1000 now. That's what we all want.

God damn they are updating the models like there is no tomorrow!

Eee pc 1000

- New 6-cell battery offers up to 7.5-hours of battery for Eee PC 1000, 7.8-hours for 901, 7 hours for Eee PC 1000H

- The "H" in the Eee PC 1000(H) model means hard drive, yes, hard drive up to 80GB. A first for an Eee.

- The Eee PC 1000 will max-out with a 40GB SSD

- Fully equipped with 802.11n and Bluetooth -- hoozah!

- Intel's Atom across the board

Only problem, it's not gonna be so cheap anymore, prob looking at about £500.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/03/asus-eee-pc-1000-vs-atom-based-901-vs-original-701-fight/

I think they're losing the original objective.

I agree - the whole appeal was a dirt cheap laptop that was nice and dinky. Now, they're just becoming regular laptops.

The MSI wind is still very cheap considering what it does.

Asus have gone completely off the point of UMPC's, they're just as expensive as a normal laptop for half the proformance.

The new battery is one hell of an improvement, the rest is a bit daft though :hmm:

I think they're losing the original objective.
Yeah, but you can't blame them. Eee PCs needed to get cool first, and they became that with the 700. Now that they're increasingly popular, they can make more expensive versions to cash in. It makes sense really.

Its all about the Eee pc 1000 now. That's what we all want.

The '1000' is getting to expensive, as mentioned above. The Wind and 901 seemed to be evenly priced and are the perfect portable laptops for me.

Comparing specs,

Prices are about the same.

MSI Wind has a slightly larger display.

901 has SSD, but small compared to Wind's HDD

Battery larger on 901

901 has 802.11n

So I'm leaning towards the 901. BUT if I did get the 901 I'm quite tempted to get the Linux version for the bigger SSD. I think I would format and put either XP or Vista on it though because all my programs that I'm use to are windows based and I'm not sure if I'm ready for the move to Linux, although I will give it a shot first, thoughts on this?

Well so much for that...turns out my grandma surprised me with a dell m1330. Would prefer a ultra portable, but ehh it's a free laptop that is still pretty damn portable, with better specs so whateva.

Might as well throw in something about the aspire one since we're covering them all lately.

Acer's supplying both Linux and Windows XP versions of the One. Both models will use an 8.9-inch 1,024x600-pixel screen, the same 1.6GHz N270 Intel Atom CPU that you'll find in the MSI Wind, and a 0.3-megapixel webcam.

The Linux model will get 512MB of RAM and an 8GB solid-state hard drive, while the Windows XP model will get 1GB of RAM and an 80GB mechanical hard drive. The Linux flavour will set you back a ridiculously inexpensive £199, while the Windows model is set to cost £299. Mechanical hard drives are an option in the Linux variant, but pricing on this is still unconfirmed.

The One will come with Wi-Fi as standard, but UK consumers will also benefit from optional integrated HSDPA -- which means you'll be able to get online anywhere you damn well please. Those lucky Americans will get a WiMax option.

aspireone_3.jpg

Sign in to follow this