NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

Cheap Eee PC?

Use an external cd drive. There might be a chance you can copy the data on an xp disc to usb stick, haven't tried it myself but its worth a try. And there is most likely some way of doing it out there.

Ok cheers. Iv read a few websites about copying data from a cd onto usb/sd but i thought borrowing an external cd drive would be much easier.

I've decided against the Eee PC infavour of the MSI Wind.

Same price, far better specs. Out June 3rd afaik.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSI_Wind_PC

Wow that looks a lot better. Il have to rethink now. Any really bad points about it? Is it much bigger/heavier than the asus eee 900?

Wow that looks a lot better. Il have to rethink now. Any really bad points about it? Is it much bigger/heavier than the asus eee 900?

Its slightly heavier and larger due to its screen and HDD. But apart from that its quite similiar. Its also very cool, since the Atom needs so little power.

Yeah, definitely the MSI wind, the Atom EEE PC is rumoured to be $600-650 so a Wind would be a much better alternative at that price.

Im still waiting for one of these things to come with a built in HSDPA modem. Surely they're just begging for it?

Until they pop those in and give a better battery life (5 hours+) then im not interested. The day a model like that is announced is the day i pre-order :)

Its slightly heavier and larger due to its screen and HDD. But apart from that its quite similiar. Its also very cool, since the Atom needs so little power.

Yeah i looked at specs and saw that its a bit heavier. Not by much though (around 0.2 kg?) which is mint. Theres hardly any info about it on the internet though unlike the eee pc 900.

They're not publically out till June 3rd. I'm getting one as soon as i can.

Ooh, kinda glad I didn't invest in an Eee, those MSI ones look good.

On the other hand, if a competitive market like this is building up, it may be worth waiting. Who knows, two more months might bring one twice as good again.

They're not publically out till June 3rd. I'm getting one as soon as i can.

That's the American release date. Is it the same for here?

That's the American release date. Is it the same for here?

Don't think they have a release date for here yet. :(

Linux = for cheap people.

Apparently... oh and it has half the ram, no bluetooth and some other stuff i can't remember.

Linux = for cheap people.

Apparently... oh and it has half the ram, no bluetooth and some other stuff i can't remember.

Less than half the battery life.

So will the Linux version cost less?

Yes, but the XP version is worth the extra money.

Oh right. I thought they were the same price.

Microsoft is probably smelling money and sponsoring the MSI project.

The Linux distro on the laptop is way more adapted to its use, by the way Jordan. You shouldn't write it off, I've seen it, and it's really capable.

Cnet get a hands on with the msi wind

The Wind has plenty going for it. Like the Eee, it will be available with a choice of screen sizes. MSI plans to ship an 8.9-inch version of the Wind later in the year, but will initially ship a 10-inch version with a native resolution of 1,024x600 pixels. This isn't particularly high -- especially considering the 8.9-inch screen on the HP 2133 Mini-Note runs at 1,280x768 pixels -- but that's no bad thing. Icons and on-screen text are easier to see on the Wind than they are on almost any of its rivals, and the fact it doesn't have a glossy screen coating means you can use the device outdoors without having to contend with high reflectivity.

The Wind offers oodles of connectivity. It has three separate USB ports, which really puts the MacBook Air's single USB to shame. It also humbles the 2133 Mini-Note, which has just two USB ports. The Wind ships with Bluetooth, an 802.11b/g wireless adaptor, and a wired Ethernet port in case you need a more robust network connection.

Usability is a huge issue on laptops of this ilk. Most have keyboards designed primarily to hasten the onset of arthritis, but that isn't the case with the Wind. MSI says the Wind's keyboard is pretty much identical to those used on some of its larger laptops. We can't verify this claim, but we can tell you that the Wind is very easy and comfortable to type on. It isn't quite as good as the keyboard on the 2133 Mini-Note -- few laptops are -- but you certainly won't produce as many typos as you might with an Eee PC.

The core specification of the Wind is very solid. Unfortunately we're not yet permitted to tell you what CPU it uses, as that's confidential. There is much speculation on the Web, however, that the Wind will use an Atom CPU -- Intel's soon-to-be-released low-power, high-performance, dual-core chip. What we can tell you is that the Wind's performance was startling. It felt significantly quicker than other machines in its class

The Wind is the first machine of this type that can be overclocked at the touch of a button. Like the MSI TurboBook GX600, the Wind uses MSI's TurboDrive Engine, which overclocks the Wind's CPU by approximately 20 per cent if the device is connected to the mains. If the machine is running off battery juice, the TurboDrive reduces the CPU's clock speed around 50 per cent and dims the screen brightness to help extend battery life.

Read the rest here

I was planning to... but i don't have the money >_>

Well if the specs match up I would get the linux version and pop xp on it. Infact that would be the cheapest route.

Well if the specs match up I would get the linux version and pop xp on it. Infact that would be the cheapest route.

Is it worth getting a smaller battery, no bluetooth and smaller ram though? Well worth the extra few pounds imo. Think im going to get one but il wait until they start shipping the xp versions with 6 cell batterys. Dont know when that will be (N)

Only gripe i have with the wind is the ridiculously small track pad :/ Much smaller than the eee 900

I come bearing more MSI Wind news(ish). From listening to the crave podcast they hinted at it being highly likely that the wind will contain an atom processor, POSSIBLY clocked at 1.6GHZ which when overclocked with the turbo button will reach 1.9GHZ all speculation at the moment, they said full details about atom will be release at intel's press conference launch of the atom tomorrow. I'll probably see if I can get a sound byte of the particular part of the podcast posted.

Edit

3 min clip here

Sign in to follow this