NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

Cheap Eee PC?

Hello folks.

I'm looking to buy a top spec Eee PC fairly soon, the 8GB model. I will be upgrading the ram to 2GB and sticking XP on it, for obvious reasons such as Linux making my eyes bleed.

The usual sources (dabs, ebuyer, PC world [god forbid]) don't seem to stock this particular model. Any ideas?

...Because its £336?

I don't particularly need 12GB SSD, i was planning to get either the 4GB or 8GB version then just stick apps on the SD card oh and stick XP on myself.

EDIT: Did a double take.

The screen seems far better, it might be the logical choice.

True it is quite abit better than the 7" model... but for what i'm using it for is there any point? And £300+ is taking it into "regular" laptop territory.

Not meaning to put you off or anything, but what's the advantage in getting a laptop which is so small with such a small amount of disk space?

Many reasons.

1, My current laptop is going to kick it pretty soon.

2, Most laptops get very hot, especially mine. Its a bother having to deal with it.

3, All my important stuff is stored on other machines on my network, so i don't need to store much.

4, I like taking my laptop places... but its fucking huge. So a small one is ideal.

And it looks fucking pro! Like those 90s movies where the computer nerd would pull out a weird device, plug a cable in it and say "I know this system!".

How's the battery life on this things?

Crave say that asus quoted it to last around 3 hours.

Asus claims the Eee PC 900 will last approximately three hours on its standard battery -- half an hour less than its predictions for the Eee PC 701. In our own DivX movie playback test, it ran for 1 hour 29 minutes, which was just about long enough for us to enjoy a feature-length movie or a couple episodes of our favourite TV show. Your own mileage will vary, but expect it to last slightly longer if you run applications that are not CPU-intensive and with the wireless adaptor switched off.

Conclusion

The Eee PC 900 is a likeable update to the Eee PC 701. We're disappointed its keyboard is still so difficult to use, but the addition of a larger, high-resolution screen, multi-touch mouse trackpad and better storage gives it the edge over just about all of its rivals. It falls slightly short of a wholehearted recommendation due to the mooted touchscreen version and the huge likelihood that Asus will begin using newer Intel Atom CPUs, but for those who can't wait, it's a fantastic purchase.

I'm interested in this myself... the ugly-ass screen put me off the old one, it looked like a DS. I just want the option of internet and work on the move, without carrying around the weight of a regular laptop and power pack.

Hmm, I'm hoping to get paid £350 for something in the next month or so, that could cover this....

Edit: how well does the machine handle video? specifically, divx? would be nice to have a few videos for a journey somewhere or to sit and watch in a corner in a uni break or something

I'll be getting one of these right after I get a dell xps. One for work and one for play.

Asus will release a faster Eee PC (the 900) with a 12 GB SSD and Windows XP for £329/€400 as of the first of May, so maybe you'd want to wait for that? The Linux version'll have a 20 GB SSD for the same price though.

I get windows based operating systems for free from uni so the 20GB model is a no brainer for me. I just want to know how XP SP3 will go down with it.

Cnet video review

Funnily enough I have been looking at these myself. I want a second machine but don't need a top spec laptop so these would be ideal I thought but hadn't heard or seen them before so was a bit dubious as to know if they are any good.

I love my current one but this new model is seriously tempting for an upgrade. Would like the bigger screen and improved hardware. Will have to see how I feel nearer the time.

I have also been looking at these myself. The new screen on the 900 looks really tempting, but i hear that DELL are preparing a competitor as is HP

Link

So Jordan did you get one of these?

I had a play about with one in Dixons the other day and I so want one now. The one I mucked about on was the Linux version and it seemed pretty good to me so would probably go for that to get the extra disc space. Or I may hold out in hope for an Atom version.

I'm buying one, but i wouldn't have the money till the end of the month (around the 26th when i get paied).

The one you saw, did it have a black edge? If so, thats the small 701 model. Theres a newer one, the 900 model which is far better tbh.

Was the 900 for sure, the speakers were not on the screen like the 701 model.

Im thinking about getting Asus eee 900 with linux but i want to install xp on it. What would be the best option, using an sd card or a usb stick? Or something else like an external cd drive?

Use an external cd drive. There might be a chance you can copy the data on an xp disc to usb stick, haven't tried it myself but its worth a try. And there is most likely some way of doing it out there.

Sign in to follow this