NEurope
Twozzok

TheSixtyOne - A Music Adventure

It's hard to explain, so i'll just quote the maker...

It's called thesixtyone and aims to make listening to new music a fun, adventurous experience. Some of my friends have amusingly called it a music scout RPG.

Having worked in the game industry since I was in highschool, I've simply become bored of making more games where the goal is to shoot more aliens or save more princesses. I started wondering if games could be harnessed to entertain people AND solve real-world problems.

Everyone knows the music business is in the shitter -- the RIAA's trying to mold the web into a police state, and finding new music (that isn't being paid for by the labels supporting the RIAA) still feels like a job. I don't know anyone who successfully browses Myspace and finds new stuff they love unless they're specifically looking for it.

So I realized that my calling was to see if I could develop an accessible game that would help people find new music and reward reputation to those that play the "scouting game." This new sense of meaning was perfectly timed as I found myself droning through an expensive college, so I dropped out determined to make this thing happen. I left home with my laptop and 3 changes of clothes to live on a living room floor, roam libraries for wifi, and survive off a diet from Walgreens (um, yeah). It was a scary/sobering experience, but I'm kinda glad I went through it because, when you hit rock bottom, you really start to get your priorities straight (and priorities are different for everyone).

It's awesome, I've discovered so much music on there. I've even registered an 'artist' account for my shitty music and found people who like it!

http://www.thesixtyone.com

Bumpity, this deserves more people chicking it out.

I totally agree. I've been using it for a month and it's actually amazing.

It doesn't really seem like an excercise in finding new music though, it just seems like its turning music appreciation into a competition, and over here its already enough of a competition.

And all people are going to do is find some band that sounds trite and cliched and bump them, because being so trite and cliched they're obviously going to be the kind of band to end up on the front page.

If you don't bother trying to get points, and just listen to the rack most of thetime. You really do find some awesome music.