NEurope
AeroScap

Heathly Lifestyle / Losing Weight! - Share your tips!

I think everyone has been bombarded with adverts of various dieting techniques and rigorous exercise regimes BUT I want to know what you guys do to keep fit / lose weight.

Planning to not only move down a weight catergoy for tae kwon do but to loose the little bit of a belly that has crept up on me. I vary from anywhere about 73kg to 79kg within a week :S and I tend to eat w/e salad when I can but 2 meals a day with 4 days of 2 hours of taekwondo a week.

Edit: few more details: aiming for around a steady 65 and a bike 2 miles up hill to uni whenever i am in! (or is it better walking)

Anyone has any tips? Routines? etc?

I run 6 miles every morning before breakfast, then another 6 before a shower and bed.

Simple - eat *slightly* less per serving, and, when it's practical, walk or cycle instead of getting a lift/driving. Do at least 2 hours of proper exercise a week (badminton for me), and your weight will drop. It's less effective over time, and doesn't make you muscular or anything, but it stops me from getting heavier.

Eat little and often. Don't starve yourself by having a small breakfast then waiting till you have tea as your body will start to store fat as it see's it's not getting enough food.

Do exercise, try and aim for about 30 minutes of harsh workout everyday.

Also when you do eat, always get the fat free version of foods or the "Lite" option.

Last but not least cut out all fizzy drinks.

Last but not least cut out all fizzy drinks.

Why, may I ask, cut out all of them? Why not diet/zero versions?

They rot your teeth :/

There still full of crap.

I started a diet on Monday and i aim to loose about 3 stone. I'm gonna keep a update in my sig.

They rot your teeth :/

Yes, because they're famously full of sugar, those sugar-free drinks...

A hell of a lot of cigarettes.

Isnt that just more you smoke less you eat caus there is something in your mouth?

Could do the same chewing gum!

They're still full of crap.

Diet drinks almost always contain aspartame, which is dubious (though research is still inconclusive), but they aren't going to make you put on weight, or indeed rot your teeth. Incidentally, the thing about coke dissolving a tooth overnight is an urban legend.

Anyhoo, I lost loads of weight when I went to university simply because I had to walk everywhere, and also because I tend not to eat that much if there's nobody to give me food.

Isnt that just more you smoke less you eat caus there is something in your mouth?

Could do the same chewing gum!

Nicotine is a stimulant, so it raises your metabolic rate, meaning that heavy smoking leads to weight loss, and hence merely chewing gum would not have the same effect. Incidentally, if you are going to chew gum, it's probably best to get sugar free varieties, for obvious reasons.

how long before you fight do you have to weigh in for tae kwon do? you could just slightly dehydrate yourself beforee you weight in and drink after...

P.S. you can drink diet soda's. i have lost loads of weight over the last year or so and i drink well over 1L of diet coke a day. Its 0 calories =/ Sure its got crap in but so does everything if you look at the ingredients list (unless its a carrot or something) Just watch what you eat and check the calorie count on stuff you eat. You soon learn what to eat and what not to eat i.e. instead of buying a pack of buiscuits and eating like half the pack watching tv i hardly eat them at all now, they are killer lol

An unhealthy diet of lots of worrying and letting your mind get the better of you will help keep you trim and lean. You will however still have to do some exercise if you want to get those muscles toned up and in shape. But if you're just worried about getting those lbs off, then keep worrying about it (aswell as plenty of other stuff!) and you too will come to embrace your inner thin nerd.

You heard it here first. :hehe:

I run 6 miles every morning before breakfast, then another 6 before a shower and bed.

No you don't lol

:P

Simple - eat *slightly* less per serving, and, when it's practical, walk or cycle instead of getting a lift/driving..

The best way to get fit and to lose weight is to do cardio-respiratory endurance (ie. running). The current recommended is 30 minutes hard excersize (with your heart rate in your training zone). A great way to get your heart rate up whilst running is to hold your breath for a while. If you're swimming you should take a deep breath and swim as far as you can under water. Then when you're out of breath, stand up, wait for 20 seconds, turn around and go as far as you can again. When you can't get back to the start your heart rate is at a decent rate.

Doing excersizes such as sit-ups isn't going to make you lose a decent amount of weight, instead will just turn the fat into muscle and make you look more toned.

You should eat 3 proper meals a day, eat your fill during all of them and don't snack in between meal times.

They're still just as bad for you really.

I'm glad my parents never let me have fizzy drinks in the house....only have it when I'm out. Same with alcohol.

Chocolate is my main weakness though......

The best way to get fit and to lose weight is to do cardio-respiratory endurance (ie. running). The current recommended is 30 minutes hard excersize (with your heart rate in your training zone). A great way to get your heart rate up whilst running is to hold your breath for a while. If you're swimming you should take a deep breath and swim as far as you can under water. Then when you're out of breath, stand up, wait for 20 seconds, turn around and go as far as you can again. When you can't get back to the start your heart rate is at a decent rate.

Doing excersizes such as sit-ups isn't going to make you lose a decent amount of weight, instead will just turn the fat into muscle and make you look more toned.

You should eat 3 proper meals a day, eat your fill during all of them and don't snack in between meal times.

I'm not really sure what my heart rate is supposed to be like during running, but I find it goes up very fast (like, after ten seconds I'm already past 160). I usually run until I reach about 175-185, cause then I get completely out of breath and have to walk for a bit. *is so unfit*

Have gone running a few times now already though, and I'm very slowly improving. Still no weight loss but meh.

Also stopped snacking (apart from a small brownie yesterday, was my only real snack this week) and I am trying to watch what I eat. Still eat my three meals a day though but eat more fruit in between. And I try to drink close to 2 liters of water now (still mostly fizzy water though =P ).

Hopefully I'll start seeing some results soon, if I can keep up the running.

Wrong, you cant turn fat into muscle. You can lose body fat and gain muscle, but you have to keep training those muscles, and keep protein coming, or your body will use your muscles for energy (making them smaller) as well as your bodyfat.

Id say again, this isnt the most effective way at all. Eat 6 meals a day, 400cals in all of them. This'll spread your food intake out, so that your body can use it as it gets it, and you wont be eating too much.

Another good thing to do is split your diet into sections, for example:

45% Carbs (eat complex carbs, like whole meal pasta/bread, brown rice, oats)

20% Fat (Mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated - fish, veg oils, soybean, cashews, peanuts etc)

35% Protein (Steak, chicken, eggs, dairy foods -beware of fat tho- and also a protein shake first thing in the morning and before bed would help build)

This is my plan that i made for myself :

finishedplanjj5.th.jpg

And when you go the gym, try do 30 - 45 mins cardio, i do 10 mins cycle warm up, 20 mins X trainer, 10 mins running sprint intervals. Then i move onto the weights, but im not really their to get big, just get in shape! :)

And most important, DRINK WATER! its the good stuff. Though i do have a weakness for pepsi max.

Hope thatll help someone out lol.

They have nasty chemicals in, and fruit juices rot your teeth too..

No you don't lol

:P

Ok.. Drive :p

Wrong, you cant turn fat into muscle. You can lose body fat and gain muscle, but you have to keep training those muscles, and keep protein coming, or your body will use your muscles for energy (making them smaller) as well as your bodyfat.

Sorry, what I meant was you won't lose weight by doing situps etc, you'll get more muscly which is still heavy instead of the weight from the fat, if that makes sense.

I'm not really sure what my heart rate is supposed to be like during running, but I find it goes up very fast (like, after ten seconds I'm already past 160). I usually run until I reach about 175-185, cause then I get completely out of breath and have to walk for a bit. *is so unfit*

180 is generally a decent training zone to aim for. Keep it up, when you get to that part of "I need to stop", don't. Just keep on going and it will get easier.

Sorry, what I meant was you won't lose weight by doing situps etc, you'll get more muscly which is still heavy instead of the weight from the fat, if that makes sense.

180 is generally a decent training zone to aim for. Keep it up, when you get to that part of "I need to stop", don't. Just keep on going and it will get easier.

Yeah I try to keep going after the first feeling of having to stop, until I really can't go anymore (cause of breathing going funny). I know I just have to slowly build this up. =D

Make sure you set yourself a regime and some goals. Helps you to stick to a pattern and track your progress.

Last summer I started exercising and eating more fruit and veg. I did crunches and weightlifting. 15 reps with the weights concentrating on 2/6 body areas 3 times a week, followed by a minute's break, then 15 more reps, and then another break and once more, with lots of water. After a month I increased the weight and dropped the number of reps. The 6 areas I concentrated on were back, shoulders, leg, chest, bicep and tricep.

I can genuinely reccomend this because I noticed the effects very quickly. However to gain muscle the right way needs a well balanced diet (and no beer or cider), including plenty of protein (shakes are good but I never got onto that).

On top of that I lost a lot of weight around the stomach area doing crunches. Not sit-ups, crunches. Lying on your back, using your abdominal muscles to lift up your shoulders, hold it for 1mississippi-2mississippi and down again. I think I started with 20/minute break/20/minute break/20 and ended up on something like 75 or 100 between breaks. Also you can move on to crunches with one or both legs in the air, which are epic difficult at first. Very good for making the ab area look buff.

Unfortunately I struggled when I moved house... I used to use my bed like a bench and a plastic computer chair- and since I moved I don't really have that opportunity. Ended up giving up and haven't done any for a while. Plan is to start again in the summer :D

Anyway these situations are great for upping your health... the weightlifting isn't amazing for losing weight, because the aim is to put weight on, but I was definitely much fitter while I was doing it. I think a gym and a sensible diet is the best way to lose weight tbh...

I also funnily enough started my diet this week. Im doing what I did last time, which was one meal a day (dinner) and some exercise.