NEurope
Dog-amoto

Board games

I've recently bought a few board games off ebay from my childhood. One was called Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs where you played as explorers trying to steal coins from a temple, avoiding dinosaurs along the way, and the other was the 1985 version of Risk (the new version is needlessly complicated!) I also love playing Scrabble and Cluedo.

So what board games were your favourites when you were a kid?

As well as the above, some of mine include:

Mouse Trap,

Screwball Scramble

Hungry Hungry Hippos

Frustration

Snakes and Ladders

Ones I didn't like:

Game of Life

Go for Broke

Monopoly (went on for too long)

Screwball Scramble

Wow, that brings back the memories, I used to love playing that! Wonder if it's still in the loft.

Another one of my favourite board games was "Pirates" or whatever it was called, where you put the knives into the barrel and the person who made the Pirate jump lost.

-EDIT- It was called "Pop Up Pirate"!

monopoly.

last but one game i had was with 2 people, one refused to deal with me to settle the score with some one else. in the end i cheated, took money from free parking by moving twice as far and had my own celebration. best thing was, it was agreed i won as i had most money and id planned a stratergy. i hate it.

Go.

That is all.

(I did play other games like Screwball Scramble, Mousetrap, Outrage, and Monopoly as a kid)

Operation and Whak-Attack were firm favourites, as well as some of the above mentioned.

Game Of Life was awesome.

Is anyone else disappointed by the new look Mouse Trap?

Monopoly always seems like a great idea.

And then some people get bored, and others ague and noone actually finishes the game properly. And when you play with different people you get problems because loads of people have their own variation on the rules.

Monopoly and Cluedo are the games my family loves to play :)

Cluedo and Don't Wake Dad are timeless, as well as the obvious Mouse Trap. I also happen to remember some weird Frankenstien moster tryp game that was similar to Don't Wake Dad (can anyone else remember?). Penguine Pile Up also springs to mind, mainly for having the random age rating of 8-99.

Monopoly is a huge waste of time that always always always degenerates into arguments. It's a luck-based game disguised with the pretense of 'skill' and/or entrepreneurship.

Hate it hate it hate it.

Best tactic in Monopoly is to get the light blue properties. They are the second cheapest and building on them is pretty cheap and get you loads of dosh along the way. Avoid buying Park Lane and Mayfair like the plague.

Wow, that brings back the memories, I used to love playing that! Wonder if it's still in the loft.

Another one of my favourite board games was "Pirates" or whatever it was called, where you put the knives into the barrel and the person who made the Pirate jump lost.

Is that pretty much the same as Buckaroo?

We played human buckaroo once. Someone was KO'd on the floor, so we chucked loads of stuff on him and whoever woke him up had to tidy it all up. He was so out of it he didnt' wake up. We convinced him in the morning that he had made all the mess so he tidied it up. :heh:

Is that pretty much the same as Buckaroo?

We played human buckaroo once. Someone was KO'd on the floor, so we chucked loads of stuff on him and whoever woke him up had to tidy it all up. He was so out of it he didnt' wake up. We convinced him in the morning that he had made all the mess so he tidied it up. :heh:

Aye, its similar to it, basically you put knives into a barrel and the unlucky one will cause the pirate to pop up.

We used to play it "deadly" style and put your face over the top of it, so if you failed you would get a nasty "hit" :heh:

My Fav board game was called "Escape from Altantis. It was a 4 player game and each turn you would have to move your player pieces from the Island and into a boat to escape to one of the corner islands on the board. After each turn you would remove a piece of the main island and reveal a symbol on the bottom of that island which would either help or hinder your escape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Atlantis

I've been playing Diplomacy alot of late. It's an ace game that plays a bit like a turn of the century Risk where there's no dice to remove chance and all the skill is in forming alliances and deals with other players. It's ace.

I also just bought Settlers of Catan, which is well good.

Nothing beats a bit of Monopoly, Uno, Jenga and Scrabble were and still are good favorites to play as a family, only really started playing them again after a long stay away from them

As well as the above, some of mine include:

Mouse Trap,

Screwball Scramble

Hungry Hungry Hippos

Frustration

Snakes and Ladders

Most of these are my favourites, especially Scewball Scramble (i found it so hard!) One of my other lost loves is Ghost House (i think that was it...) You walked around the board and you used to drop this evil looking skull down a chimney and it used to trigger loads of traps. Impressively crafted games, also had a paralysed state, where you put a little petrified mask on your character. Pure genius.

I don't think enough people play scrabble though... or jigsaws for the matter. Jigsaw fucking rule!

Anyone played Axis and Allies? A horribly predictable game..

A friend of mine insisted that we played it and every time the game was nearly identical...

My Fav board game was called "Escape from Altantis. It was a 4 player game and each turn you would have to move your player pieces from the Island and into a boat to escape to one of the corner islands on the board. After each turn you would remove a piece of the main island and reveal a symbol on the bottom of that island which would either help or hinder your escape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Atlantis

Wow! I'd totally forgotten about that game!! I loved playing this!!

Thanks for reminding me of this one

*visits ebay*

Pop up pirate scared me! I couldn't handle the tension of when it was going to pop up!

Also don't wake dad and the crocodile one where you had to press his teeth and hope his jaw didn't shut scared me! :)

Oh and operation! and Payday...

I used to have epic monoply matches spanning over several days we left the board out overnight. :D

Also Kerplunk was great along with the others that have been mentioned Mouse Trap, Frustration, Snakes and Ladders!

Also Frog Soccer which was basically Hungry Hungry Hippo's with Frogs who liked football! IT WAS AWESOME! :awesome:

And finally Cluedo was lots of fun!

I played many board games when i was younger!

Now i play Mexican Dominoes! :grin:

I'm a massive Monopoly fan, and Scatagories is great, especially when everyone is a little tipsy. :heh:

Risk is another favorite, but takes ages!

Cludo and Scatagories are good for when grandparent's visit, as they're easy and short...

Scatergories is an amazingly pr0 game. For kitchen appliances beginning with E, my brother and I chose "Easy peasy lemon squeezy Garlic Crusher"

Pure win.

Scatergories is an amazingly pr0 game. For kitchen appliances beginning with E, my brother and I chose "Easy peasy lemon squeezy Garlic Crusher"

Pure win.

Haha, that reminds me, last time I played, for "things you take on holiday" beginning with E, DomJcg put "ePod". :heh:

I remember lots from being young. Buckaroo was epic. The pirate thing with the swords! That was so much fun.

Monopoly is fail because:

1. I turn into a competitive demon.

2. It only ever causes arguements and rage.