NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kirkatronics

Must Have Gadgets..

Moving to tech discussion.

Sanchez, the eeePC, do you have one? Is it really worth that price tag? I think it's ugly....

Some form of iPod/iPhone - Only the shuffle, nano, classic and low size touch and iPhone.

Nintendo DS - Yes

Nintendo Wii - Yes

general devices that you should have.

Digital camera

Cell phone

some sort of computer

iPhone - yup, but may be worth waiting for the 3G one now.

iPod touch - nope, may as well wait till june for a price cut and free 2.0 firmware

MacBook Air- Yup, if you need portability above all else, othewise you might as well spend £100 more and get a MacBook Pro

Nikon D60 with VR kit lens- yup yup, if you're looking for a entry DSLR.

PS3 - if you can get a BC one, rather than the gimped current SKU, i say yup.

802.11n compatible router for a 802.11n compatible PC- Defo ^_^

PSP-2000 - Yup, more and more good games, and great PS3-PSP linking features.

Moving to tech discussion.

Sanchez, the eeePC, do you have one? Is it really worth that price tag? I think it's ugly....

No, I don't have one but I've played around with it in pc world and i've seen a couple in public and I think the design grows on you. Ugly as it is. It's remarkably competent for running firefox and such, they loaded very quickly. One thing that distrubs me about it is the battery life- 4-5 hours on such a small device seems wrong, I'd expect at least 6.

iPhone - No. Get a phone with better features. The touchscreen delivers a "week of wow" then gets tired.

iPod Touch - No. Get an iPod Classic or a better, cheaper Media player.

Wii - It could really do with a price drop now.

Xbox 360 - Pretty much the same price as a Wii now, so yes.

PS3 - Avoid the 40GB model as you would the Core.

Sky HD - A "Week of wow" then you lose interest in HD. So no.

Mac Book Air - No. Unless you're a businessman who wants to use it just for work. Otherwise get a much more powerful laptop. Then you can do stuff like watch DVDs.

iPhone - Zzzz. No. Bought by people who need a distraction from their meaningless lives.

iPod Touch - Not yet. Needs to be a lot cheaper.

Wii - No.

360 - Yes. The definitive gaming machine.

PS3 - Yes. The definitive and future proof Blu Ray player, and soon gaming machine. Also free online.

PSP - Yes, probably, maybe...but is there a new 3000 model coming out??

MacBook Air - I'd love to say yes but it costs too much.

iPhone - no. A phone that lets me text people and not costing me a couple years work at the wage I'm on now will do me fine.

ipod - maybe. After the screen dying on my Zen an ipod is looking tempting.

PSP - now yes. Looks to be some great games.

DS - yes and always has been.

Wii - Not yet. Not until it has smash bros if you wait.

360 - Yes yes yes.

PS3 - not until MGS4. I'm just not that all satisfied with it.

iPhone - if it is avaible, yes. It's simply a must-have gadget. The first truly smart phone, with enough RAM to let you surf the web, make calls, and do more stuff than a usual cellphone can. With the SDK out, the future is looking bright for this device.

iPod Touch - It's a pretty good thing, though a little high-priced. But if you're the gadget-lover like me, you have it in your pockets right now (next to a knife to protect yourself from potential thieves). But right now, no, wait untill firmware 2.0 gets a release on the device before you're buying into it.

Wii - Barely in the line of 'gadgets' but still a must-have device. Although the price is a little steep right now, I'm expecting Nintendo to drop price somewhere soon to keep up their momentum. It's a gadget that's good to have, but not really a must-have. And after closer inspection, this thing looks nothing like Apple Design. It's screws, bends, and flaps all over the place. It looks ugly without the stand. Really ugly.

Xbox360 - Certainly not a must-have device, since the chances of breaking it are even higher than losing the lottery, but still a nice 'gadget' (I don't get it: is it even a gadget?) anyway. It's priced competivly now, but don't be fooled! Buying into the full experience, including wifi, HD support (not a necessary feature anymore, though) and hard drive bumps up the price significantly, making it more in the range of the PS3 that comes with all these features and looks much better than the white, clunky plastic that the Xbox is made of. The Xbox's plastic is incredibly ugly in my opinion, and reminds of the computers in the nineties. Microsoft truly is ten years behind, although Apple did release the iMac ten years ago now. (In that retrospect I'm expecting a semi-transparant plastic Xbox reworking this year).

PS3 - Buy into it. No Backwards Compatibility, but a console with potential. It's still one of the biggest household names, cheapest Blu-Ray player, potentially best online service (it's free and it tries to be Xbox Live) and it has all the legacy controller stuff in your hands. You pay the extra dollar, you get the extra stuff.

MacBook Air - I can't really see why it exists. It's there for an incredibly small fraction of the market - businessmen who want a lightweight next to their desktop. And it's not even consumer-market, the orientation Apple aimed for the past ten-or-so years. This seems like a pointless, expensive piece of kit. Get a MacBook and save yourself €500.

DS - Still a pick-up device, but yet no really fantastic third-party games yet. Why are there so many mini-games collections on this thing? Is it never going to stop? Are developers incredibly lazy?

PSP - After having one for a week (then having it taken away by someone to serve as an MP3 player for a while, sadly enough) I must say: nice going. It works, and it works brilliantly. It's at a healthy price now and it's a good device. It's a crappy browser (certainly if you're used to Safari on iPod Touch), so don't use that too much.

if you have a car, GPS is the best because you never again have to drive and navigate at the same time as everyone one you know are too stupid to read directions to you.

if you have a car GPS is the best! never having to drive and navigate at the same time as everyone one you know are too stupid to read directions.

That sentence made the least sense ever. I see where you're going, but sadly enough I don't like GPS. It takes away from the old, classic way of doing things. You know, a good old-fashioned (mushroom-infected, half rotten) map and a woman trying to read it. Then there's a fight, and the man reads the map and drives at the same time, with the woman mad as hell and the children being bullied around.

Actually, I prefer GPS now.

DS - Still a pick-up device, but yet no really fantastic third-party games yet. Why are there so many mini-games collections on this thing? Is it never going to stop? Are developers incredibly lazy?

Urrrrrmmm....

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations

Sonic Rush

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

Bleach: The Blade of Fate

Lunar Knights

Geometry Wars: Galaxies

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Final Fantasy III

Contact

Scurge: Hive

Elite Beat Agents <- Only published by Nintendo, not developed.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife

Coming soon...

Guitar Hero

Final Fantasy IV

Space Invaders Extreme

Dragon Quest IV

Harvest Moon DS

Nanostray 2

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates

Geometry Wars: Galaxies

Spore

There are hundreds of games out for the DS, with 90% being minigames, educational crapware or simply stinking nonsens.

Those games you named, none really catches my interest. I am looking forward to Spore, however.

iPhone - no. A phone that lets me text people and not costing me a couple years work at the wage I'm on now will do me fine.

Erm, you do know that iPhones can do SMS, don't you?

Erm, you do know that iPhones can do SMS, don't you?

That's all he needs, me thinks.

I know that the iphone can do that. Hell if it didn't I'd be surprised. I'm saying I want a phone that can let me do that but not cost me, in my eyes, the lottery just to have.

I know that the iphone can do that. Hell if it didn't I'd be surprised. I'm saying I want a phone that can let me do that but not cost me, in my eyes, the lottery just to have.

But its so shiny shiny Stef you must have one :smile:

But its so shiny shiny Stef you must have one :smile:

Veeerrryyy true! And the screen is sooo purdy! <3 Gadget Lust!

I can never understand if ppl want a new phone, why they don't just get a s60 Nokia device as they have some amazing apps from movie viewers/TV remotes/Camera editing software/Opera internet browsers etc... for them and some of the best handheld games ever. (Gameloft learned their trade on the s60 devices) A wealth of N-Ggage games too. Some good - some not. Plus there are a wealth of emulators from Speccy to GBA. The s60 phones aren't too ugly neither and acecpt MMC cards for up to 2gb. Plenty of room for MP3's/movies/pictures.

You can buy s60 devices online for about £15 or below now. Bargains.

Anyways, I guess they aren't "trendy" anymore...

I can never understand why ppl don't just get a s60 Nokia device as they have some amazing apps for them and some of the best handheld games ever. Gameloft learned their trade on the s60 devices. (some N-Ggage some not.) Plus there are a wealth of emulators from Speccy to GBA. The s60 phones aren't too ugly neither and acecpt MMC cards for up to 2gb. Plenty of room for MP3's/movies/pictures.

Anyways, I guess they aren't "trendy" anymore...

Completely agree, I've got a GBA emu on my N95 which works perfectly, my phone also takes up to 8gb micro sd cards so I can ift crap loads of stuff on it!

You know, honestly, that's simply the most stupid thing to say ever. People don't buy stuff for their price, they buy them for their marketing. For their hype. Nokia devices aren't interesting, even though they might be fine and well priced, because they are not hyped. A name like Nokia s60? That tells me as much about the phone as a turd tells me about the meaning of life.

IPhone? It's got the Apple i in there, it looks great. It doesn't do anything special. It doesn't do anything new. But what it does, it does well. And Apple has learned how to hype and market their stuff, proving that they can market it. Nokia's advertisements don't tell me shit. They're neat pieces of stock video with some Nokia-font-text over it, but it doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't make me want the device.

iPhone is hot, no matter how 'overpriced'. No matter how 'standard'.

You know, honestly, that's simply the most stupid thing to say ever. People don't buy stuff for their price, they buy them for their marketing. For their hype. Nokia devices aren't interesting, even though they might be fine and well priced, because they are not hyped. A name like Nokia s60? That tells me as much about the phone as a turd tells me about the meaning of life.

IPhone? It's got the Apple i in there, it looks great. It doesn't do anything special. It doesn't do anything new. But what it does, it does well. And Apple has learned how to hype and market their stuff, proving that they can market it. Nokia's advertisements don't tell me shit. They're neat pieces of stock video with some Nokia-font-text over it, but it doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't make me want the device.

iPhone is hot, no matter how 'overpriced'. No matter how 'standard'.

So basically you're saying that you buy marketing.

What was you're point again?

I have no idea.

Off course you buy into marketing - everyone does. This is about the most popular gadgets, and iPhone isn't the one that's going to win on innovation.

I have no idea.

Off course you buy into marketing - everyone does. This is about the most popular gadgets, and iPhone isn't the one that's going to win on innovation.

Well, it won gadget of the year last year from Time Magazine. The phone's grand imo. And does the internet properly, mail well, and replaced my 80GB iPod thanks to the joys of smart playlists. Anywhooo . .

Sign in to follow this