NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

tapedecks musical annoyance

Right, this is doing my head in.

I've written quite a few new songs of late and the quality is getting me down. I'm using cool edit pro (and acid pro at times) and a simple microphone plugged into the PC. However, the quality I'm getting isn't too good. I've put samples HERE I hope someone has some good pointers on getting good sound quality.

I do the usual like shut the door etc...Just for those who would comment :p

I've no clue about sample rates etc... So ANY help would be good. Thanks

EDIT: Someone mentioned getting a good mic. If anyone has what could be considered as a "top-tier" microphone could they post samples of sound quality? This may be my best bet afterall.

Have you tried a D-U-H Test?

Unles that helps in relation to gaining better sound quality then no. :nono:

If you're serious about recording music then I could recommend some stuff you can buy but it may cost a bit.

Fire away :) I'll deffo take it on board and look into it.

Well to start off, you won't get great sound quality micing up a keyboard. The best way to get the best sound out of is is by direct injecting it using a standard 1/4" jack. Now, you can direct inject is straight from the Keyboard ---> Computer, but unless you got a great soundcard or something, you will likely get a horrible buzzing sound and hiss that you won't be able to get rid of.

What you will need is an external audio interface that you can plug the keyboard into, and then connect the interface to the computer. You can get these for around £100. What I would recommend if you got the £$£$£ and you are serious is ProTools. You can get the Mbox 2 Mini which is the hardware/interface that is required to run the ProTools software aswell as the software itself, so you can plug your keyboard straight into that. ProTools is like Cool Edit Pro, but better. I used to use CEP years ago and I couldn't stand it. You'll be getting better quality, effects, tools, and it will just be a breeze to edit your work.

Now, another alternative to recording your music that you may want to consider is doing it via MIDI. I looked up your keyboard and it appears that it does have MIDI outs. Using certain software, you can use your keyboard to record your music using virtual instruments. This means that you will not be using the sounds from your keyboard, but sounds that you can buy or download. Though, by doing it this way, you will be again be able to edit your music, keep it in time etc.

Overall I'd recommend the MIDI pathway for what you're doing, but you may be too attached to your keyboard sounds. Still there are an unlimited amount of sounds you can use out there as an alternative. Heck, you could even sample the sounds on your keyboard and use them on the software.

Hope this helped.

Sign in to follow this