NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mario114

No sound when playing a dvd?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help. I got my new monitor through today, and plugged it in using the supplied dvi plug, rather than the vga (first lead that came to hand, don't know the differnce). I went to watch a dvd a no sound came through my speakers (use a jack-phono camble to my high-fi). I can play music on itinues and media player fine, and can even play my cd's on it fine, but when a try a dvd no sound comes out... Do I need a new optical drive, or is it something to do with my monitor? Thanks in advance. :D

DVI is better than VGA so you got that right.

Hmmm...Have to say it sounds like a codec issue if certain things will play and others won't.

Are you using windows media player to play the dvds? If so look at the now playing section if there is a red X by the dvd that you are playing then it is a codec problem. If it is there click it and follow links and such.

Check your speaker settings. From the sounds of it you have it set to 5.1 instead of stereo (I'm guessing that the DVDs sounds are actually very quiet, as the front speakers usually are).

Sign in to follow this