NEurope
Jamba

The Byron Review

Ok everyone, it has been a long time coming but the review that was funded by the Government to research violence in new media and its effect on children (along with suggested steps to help the situation) was published today. For those of you who fancy a read:

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/byronreview/

I personally adore the fact that she thinks we need "a rating system."

WE ALREADY HAVE TWO! PEGI and the BBFC already regulate games!

I caught this on the BBC News. I thought it was fantastic viewing *ahem*.

Example: "Mrs Bond's two sons are 11 and 12 yeears of age, they are playing a game (Resident Evil 4 on the Wii) which is recommended for anyone above the age of 15."

Mrs Bond: "With all these chatrooms, the only thing they can do is ban them all, which they won't do. And its the same with all these videogames."

My flatmate and I couldn't help but laugh.

Mrs Bond: "With all these chatrooms, the only thing they can do is ban them all, which they won't do. And its the same with all these videogames."

My flatmate and I couldn't help but laugh.

Because everyone on the internet is a "frek" or a "pedro".

Haha, aye.

It's just idiocy, she seemed to think that because there has been trouble with various chatroom, or videogame-related violence, that they should just be ignored, because "they only thing you can do is ban them, and nobody will do that."

Here's a thought: the ratings...The Ratings...THE RATINGS! Don't buy games that are inappropriate for children, you fiend.

Why aren't BBFC certificates compulsory for games? At the moment some games carry the BBFC ratings while some just have the voluntary PEGI ratings. Surely this must cause some confusion, given that we've already established how clueless the general public are. Lets see a BBFC rating on every game, and lets make sure they're enforced. It would be start.

EDIT: Just read a bit about the report, and apparently that's the general jist of what Tanya says. Great minds and all that.

Probably not, however I wonder what she'd say to a tranny posting images of his red arse on a Nintendo forum :heh:

Why the hell does she bring up internet chat rooms? We're talking about a classification system for videogames, kids aren't going to be in danger of molestation if they're playing Resident Evil 4. They're just going to shit themselves.

EDIT: Fuck, this is the same woman who did "House Of Tiny Tearaways" on BBC3. Why is anybody listening to her? She has about the same authority as the bitch from "Honey, We're Killing The Kids".

Similar face too.

EDIT 2: And she co-wrote "The Life And Times Of Vivienne Vyle" a completely pointless send up of Jeremy Kyle, that was more confused that it's audience. She's even worse that I originally thought.

I've only flicked through it (watching Smash Bros instead :p) but is her evidence the qualitative opinions of a handful of kids?

If so that is worse than some A-level research I have seen. (in terms of credibility, sample size etc)

She would have had my eternal respect if the entire body of her review was simply, "7/10".

I think I'll wait for a summary of this one.

The problem i have is when telling people about these things how far they have been brainwashed by the news against videogames and believe all these lies and irrelevant "facts" and it gets annoying trying to speak sense to them as they just won't listen!

I can't believe they spent tax payers money on this (lucky none of that was mine).

Seriously she says nothing new to what we've said ourselves in the past. That it's the Parents that need to learn how to monitor their kids.

The whole idea of giving the BBFC more control over game ratings i see as nothing more than a way to mend some broken pride over the overturning of their Manhunt 2 ban.

Saying, oh this will make parents more aware of the age ratings is BULL. Weather a rating is in the style of PEGI or BBFC the fact still remains there is a big number on the box that indicates the recomended age rating of the content. And pretty much every game rated 15 or more already has the BBFC ratings on the boxes in the UK anyway (so technically this report changes nothing).... this has not stopped parents from buying such games for their kids in the past, why would it now.

Love Tanya Byron. I want to stroke her face with a feather.

But yeah, it's called looking at age limits on games...

...good argument.

My argument comes from my frustration that any good argument used won't be listened as they don't really care. Games have ratings and consoles have parental controls, what will they do next after this measures inevitably fail? God forbid if the parents are to blame.

Standardised BBFC ratings for games is a good idea if you ask me. Although PEGI already provide ratings for all games I think the big thing that come out of this is that most parents seem to think they're an indication of the skill required to play a game - not the suitability of the content.

Everyone knows and understands the BBFC ratings, it would make things a hell of a lot clearer. Rather than PEGI for most games then 18's or 15's just standardise the lot and go with the well known rating.

I don't quite get why we needed a massive review in order for these things to come out, it seems glaringly obvious to me.

Standardised BBFC ratings for games is a good idea if you ask me. Although PEGI already provide ratings for all games I think the big thing that come out of this is that most parents seem to think they're an indication of the skill required to play a game - not the suitability of the content.

Everyone knows and understands the BBFC ratings' date=' it would make things a hell of a lot clearer. Rather than PEGI for most games then 18's or 15's just standardise the lot and go with the well known rating.

I don't quite get why we needed a massive review in order for these things to come out, it seems glaringly obvious to me.[/quote']

Well this is stupid 'cos it actually says something along the lines of "This is about the content of the game not the skill level required to play."

plus the fact that 15+ and 18+ games in the UK already carry the BBFC rating which hasn't stopped mommy or daddy from buying little "Johnny" games like GTA in the past... so tell me what has this "review" changed?