NEurope
mcj metroid

Sonic Unleashed

To be honest I thought it looked alright, just the backgrounds was a bit on the bland side. Eitherway I was a bit surprised how it turned out.

This thread cements in my mind to get the 360 version. I pre-ordered it already since I didn't hold much hope for the Wii version. Particularly lacking the Hedgehog Engine.

Anyone seen this vid? Sorry, can't emb it.

i still can't believe sonic has such a bad voice and won't shut up.

I also think this game plays itself.

I won't like this that's for sure. warewolf sections look stupid and remind me of the knuckles/tails missions from sonic adventure 2.

we JUST want sonic sega ... I really thought sonic adventure is the best 3d sonic ever and it's their FIRST! HOW!

we JUST want sonic sega ... I really thought sonic adventure is the best 3d sonic ever and it's their FIRST! HOW!
Agreed! Sonic Adventure 1 has been the best so far.

I just don't get why Sonic Team are still putting effectively 'mech' sections in all their Sonic games! That's not Sonic!!

Agreed! Sonic Adventure 1 has been the best so far.

I just don't get why Sonic Team are still putting effectively 'mech' sections in all their Sonic games! That's not Sonic!!

Are you two serious!? Ok, the levels in SA1 were cool, but that shitty and annoying city hub was disgusting! And then theres the Big the Cat missions, and Amy's...Ugh.

Now I REALLY want a 2.5D Sonic... Something with Brawl mechanics, but with a horde of levels, online challenge play, and multiple routes.

Are you two serious!? Ok, the levels in SA1 were cool, but that shitty and annoying city hub was disgusting! And then theres the Big the Cat missions, and Amy's...Ugh.

Now I REALLY want a 2.5D Sonic... Something with Brawl mechanics, but with a horde of levels, online challenge play, and multiple routes.

Well yes I agree to an extent but for it's time it had a wealth of ideas it's not perfect but it was never really improved on.

2.5d sonic is what it should be..

personally id kill for sega to do a "megaman 9" and make a wiiware sonic game identical to the megadrive games... sonic 4 if you will.. PLEASE :)

sonic 4 if you will.. PLEASE :)

Awww yeah! And with remixed original tunes... Imagine how epic it would be if some were orchestrated!? Or even better, mixed midi and orchestration on one track/stage!!! Sega are killing me here! :( It would also be the perfect widescreen games.

Awww yeah! And with remixed original tunes... Imagine how epic it would be if some were orchestrated!? Or even better, mixed midi and orchestration on one track/stage!!! Sega are killing me here! :( It would also be the perfect widescreen games.

thats true but completely identically to megadrive would be awesome thats how i feel. I love the original music and never liked updates of it really dont know why..

I just dont think sega have the talent anymore though... they'll just add it stupid characters but they should consider it..

just sonic tails and knuckles and robotnick.

no speed bar or anything gimmicky

straight forward platforming with cheesy music

The IGN review is up- 7.2/ 10.

Closing Comments

Sonic Unleashed is half great game and half tedious gimmick. The daytime levels will amaze you for they harken back to the 2D classics and are positively overrun with raw speed, zigzagging pathways, loop- de-loops and more, all of it complemented by responsive controls and good technology. As far as I'm concerned, these stages are so well crafted, in fact, that die-hard Hedgehog fans can probably justify purchasing the title for the sunlit selection alone. Just resign yourself to trudging through the nighttime stages as penance for the daylight ones. Come on -- if you're a Sonic fan, you should be used to sacrifice and suffering by now, anyway.

And if you've never liked Sonic before, the newly implemented werehog component will certainly not make you a believer in the franchise. If anything, you might come to appreciate the traditional levels by comparison.

It's a shame, too, because this time more than any other, Sonic Team nearly had it. Indeed, had Unleashed shipped with a focus on polished daytime levels, I have no doubt that it would've been one of the best entrants in the franchise's long history. But the developer's insistence on avoiding a pure hedgehog experience at all costs has once again backfired, transforming a speedy beauty into a slow beast.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/931/931596p1.html

To be fair, the Wii has been holding up pretty well on some multiformat releases. Shaun White, Sonic, Guitar Hero etc. Good going, hope sales reflect this....though we all know it won't :)

Well, from what I've read in Nintendo Power, the Wii version is going to be shoddy. There's no hub worlds, 2 entire stages have been cut, and (this'll be the one to piss a lot of people off) there's 3 or 4 night stages to 1 daytime stage. ><

And yet again Sonic Team probably won't learn anything from this entry in the series either.

I fully expect the next Sonic game to have yet another tacked on gimmick of some kind!

It's so wierd, because if they actually gave the fans what they wanted they'd make more money for themselves anyway, so who knows why they keep doing this!

Well, I still have hopes for the 360/PS3 version, as that's the main one. Tbh, there should have never been a Wii version in the first place...

Well, I still have hopes for the 360/PS3 version, as that's the main one. Tbh, there should have never been a Wii version in the first place...
IGN said in their Wii version preview [just days before the review], that the Wii version may actually be the best of the three! And that at least it managed to hold a consistant framerate of 30fps, whereas the others are bothered by slowdown.

Reading the reviews it appears that the Wii version is the BEST version, if you can set aside the graphical inferiority

IGN said in their Wii version preview [just days before the review], that the Wii version may actually be the best of the three! And that at least it managed to hold a consistant framerate of 30fps, whereas the others are bothered by slowdown.

From what I've read in other previews on other gaming sites, the framerate issues have been completely resolved. I do realise that my comment on the Wii version was a bit harsh tbh. :heh:

Since i'm getting a ps3 for christmas i don't care which version is better. I'll get the better one.

While his reviews suck, and there's still quite a lot wrong with the following quote, it feels like an appropriate time to paraphrase Ben Croshaw.

If you go by the evidence of the last ten years and just assume that the new Sonic the Hedgehog is just going to be the usual punnet of snot, then you won't get your heart re-broken.

It's a flawed statement, but it still sums up my own personal feelings quite well: how could anyone appear to be excited about this game in the first place?

...how could anyone appear to be excited about this game in the first place?

The answer is the reason why you both should and shouldn't get excited about it...

...its Sonic, man. Sonic!

:weep:

As soon as i saw videos of the Werewolf in the Gametrailers, i started losing hope.

Then i decided that it wouldn't matter as long as there are Daytime Levels.

Then i found out that most of the levels are Nightime.

Fuck you, Sonic Team