NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Router buggered?

Ok so after some advice from people on here I ditched AOL and went with Be Broadband. All great and good fun with some excellent speeds/service. Yet you have to use their own router. (A speedtouch crap-lookng thing). I had a netgear DG router previously and it worked flawlessly.

However. my internet connection keeps going down ever since getting BE. (Or as my speedtouch router tells me...The DSL is down).

It's becoming a knarking-off feature as it goes down for anything between 3 seconds to 30mins. Upto 10 times a day. I've spoken to Be and they said there is NO record of my internet EVER going down. I said I'm getting screens saying "DSL not connected" but they said it's all fine on there end. They said to replace all of the filters and, if I'm using an extension cable -- dont. So I bought new Filters and took my PC from attic and onto bar where our in-coming "main" phone line is. Long story short - Same problem.

Sometimes I go to connect and I get nothing. But the LAN is connected to the PC and/or the wireless indicator says connected on the laptop. But nothing. So I reset the router and it works fine.

Dodgy router or not? My AOL worked fine (if slow). So this is REALLY pizzing me off. Anyone any ideas? BE seem reluctant to blame the router yet filters etc aint worked.

It certainly sounds like the router is broken. Are you sure you need to use the Be router? I think any ADSL2+ router would do.

It certainly sounds like the router is broken. Are you sure you need to use the Be router? I think any ADSL2+ router would do.

BE said I did, looking online some ppl have got it to work with other routers but there are that many settings I wouldn't know where to start. Like login and password. For instance, I don't even have a login. only a password.

There is no need to stick with the supplied Speedtouchs , it is only recommended because that is what the support staff are trained to deal with so in theory fixing any potential problems quicker.

In fact , due to the problems that a lot of people experience with the Speedtouch , it is recommended that you change to your own preferred router.

I am currently using a Netgear DG834GT with modified firmware (it's worth pointing out that the standard DG834G seems to have problems with BE) , and as well as being more stable than the Bebox it also synchs faster. Also , with BE there are no username or passwords so setting up your router should be no problem (the Netgear did it automatically , I assume other routers can too).

I would suggest trying another router first (if poss) then just continue to get on BE's case with respect to getting the Bebox replaced.

I used to have a speedtouch router when we had a PC instead of laptops, it gave us nothing but trouble until we got rid of it. I'd go with changing it to your own router if you are able to find out the login.

Other than that be drastic get on the phone and tell them that if they don't get it sorted you are going elsewhere.

I am currently using a Netgear DG834GT with modified firmware (it's worth pointing out that the standard DG834G seems to have problems with BE) , and as well as being more stable than the Bebox it also synchs faster. Also , with BE there are no username or passwords so setting up your router should be no problem (the Netgear did it automatically , I assume other routers can too).

Nice one. I will try this. I have the same Netgear router as you. Could you point me in the right direction to get this modified firmware and get it running? I can't find anything from a quick browse.

The firmware I am using is called UberGT and can be downloaded from here. You are best off with the 1.06 beta 4 version.

The project is no longer in development but a lot of Netgear users (me included) have found this to be the best firmware , especially as the official Netgear firmware managed to bork my IM programs.

It is installed in exactly the same way as the official firmware , which I assume you know how to do , if not then feel free to PM me.

Step-by-step instructions on configuring the DG can be found here. As a point of note you may also wish to use the OpenDNS servers as quoted in those instructions , because the DNS is one area where BE are frequently having problems.

One final thing that isn't mentioned in that post , once all the instructions are followed , go to Advanced ADSL settings under the UberGT tab on the routers set up webpage and ensure that modulation is set as ADSL2+.

I hope that helps but if you need any clarification on any of the above then give me a shout.

Good luck and I hope that manages to sort out your connection issues.

Sign in to follow this