NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Tales

Spyware

My father has some trouble with pyware/badware that has infected the computer. It has changed the home page to its own and regurarly creates a new window informing him necessary downloads to protect his computer. The program calls itself SpyKiller and claims to remove spyware. He asked me for help but I'm not that good at this so I need some help with finding the best and free program to remove it. Thank you.

Anti-spyware programs hardly work. The best and only way to really stop them is to remove them from start up, via msconfig.

Start menu

Run

msconfig

Go to the start up tab and do a print screen, we'll tell you whats the problem.

What anit spyware have you got?

I looked around and I can't find any anti virus/spyware/whatever programs of any kind.

Anti-spyware programs hardly work. The best and only way to really stop them is to remove them from start up, via msconfig.

Start menu

Run

msconfig

Go to the start up tab and do a print screen, we'll tell you whats the problem.

spywarell3.jpg

Is this it?

The toolbar is a part of the spyware.

Upgrade to Vista and never worry about Spyware again ;)

Looking at the screenshot it appears he's already using vista, the only way you're really going to have absolutely not chance of getting spyware its to either switch to OSX or use some other unix OS that nobody would really want to develop spyware for.

I suppose all the Mac hatters are going to start flaming me for this post though like they usually do.

Looking at the screenshot it appears he's already using vista, the only way you're really going to have absolutely not chance of getting spyware its to either switch to OSX or use some other unix OS that nobody would really want to develop spyware for.

I suppose all the Mac hatters are going to start flaming me for this post though like they usually do.

As a representative of the mac hatters I would like to point out that we don't flame you, we correct you.

And then we get pissed at you because you have to bring up macs in every post you make. You're a little Apple propaganda drone and it bores us oh so quickly.

Now, from the screenshot it seems that the spyware isn't in your startup processes. I recommend you install an anti spyware. I don't know about that superantispyware app but I do know that Spybot is a proven solution.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

I'm assuming Windows Defender didn't pick it up.

You can also remove the spyware you have manually by following this guide, if you like:

http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/spykiller-pro-removal-instructions-spykiller-pro/spyware-removal/

In future I recommend you install either Firefox or Opera to browse the internet and use common sense when downloading applications and looking at webpages.

As a representative of the mac hatters I would like to point out that we don't flame you, we correct you.

And then we get pissed at you because you have to bring up macs in every post you make. You're a little Apple propaganda drone and it bores us oh so quickly.

Now, from the screenshot it seems that the spyware isn't in your startup processes. I recommend you install an anti spyware. I don't know about that superantispyware app but I do know that Spybot is a proven solution.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

I'm assuming Windows Defender didn't pick it up.

You can also remove the spyware you have manually by following this guide, if you like:

http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/spykiller-pro-removal-instructions-spykiller-pro/spyware-removal/

In future I recommend you install either Firefox or Opera to browse the internet and use common sense when downloading applications and looking at webpages.

AMEN to that I am currently banned from the apple thread for simply stating my opinion that I prefer the N95 over the Iphone. I was given an infraction for that so then decided to tell the mod to grow a dick as he was abusing his power

anyhoo on topic, I use spybot - search and destroy and Adware

The only way to absolutely not have a chance of installing spyware is to only install known programs.

The only spyware problems I've ever had was on the shared family computer.

I've always found adaware to be pretty good. The most important thing is to be carefuly what you click on and download. Personally I've always found that between Adaware, Sophos, Zone Alarm and Firefox I've never had a problem apart from one click on a dodgy link.

Just don't ask your dad what he was browsing to end up with the problem :)

It's gone now, thank you for your help.

I've always found adaware to be pretty good. The most important thing is to be carefuly what you click on and download. Personally I've always found that between Adaware, Sophos, Zone Alarm and Firefox I've never had a problem apart from one click on a dodgy link.

Just don't ask your dad what he was browsing to end up with the problem :)

It's my steph mother. She's imported.

Sign in to follow this