NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CompSci

yes yes yes!!! , i love you bioware

Is JE worth it? I am getting a 360 but don't have an Xbox and its in list of compatible games and i've always been interested so I've been thinking about getting it...

...I expected it to be a deep RPG but it seems to be more button bashing action RPG ??? help me out

it's an action rpg, but not in the baldurs gate: da form where theres no real story. JE is a proper rpg tale in the true bioware fasion with multiple endings, morality choices and subquests. it just happens to have a really meaty action game fighting style. buy it sucker.

do. personal favourite rpg of mine for a while

(besides the godlike bg2 and nwn: hotu)

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I found the first to be very dissapointing. The combat, although varied, was just too simple. I thought the characters lacked a lot of depth, heck, I can't even remember their names. And compared to Knights of the Old, the plot was standard. I also guessed what would happen over the course of the game in the first 10 minutes. Yeah, that killed the experience.

But it had a solid premise, and I'm hoping the sequel will fufill its potential.

*shudder* I have an Xbox, and have ordered my 360, but I'm gonna go on record here as saying I can't stand Bioware's games. SW:KOTOR and Jade Empire are really poor RPGs, IMHO. Sure JE is pretty, but it's battles (like KOTOR before it) are il-conceived and implemented. I have no intention of buying another Bioware RPG.

*shudder* I have an Xbox, and have ordered my 360, but I'm gonna go on record here as saying I can't stand Bioware's games. SW:KOTOR and Jade Empire are really poor RPGs, IMHO. Sure JE is pretty, but it's battles (like KOTOR before it) are il-conceived and implemented. I have no intention of buying another Bioware RPG.

Perhaps you're suffering from culture shock after playing so many Eastern RPGs. Not that I can't see where you're coming from, in fact I agree to a certain extent.

I think my main problem with KOTOR is that I simply didn't find the battles fun. It wasn't quite turn-based, nor action orientated, and in the end it came across as a jack of all trades. Jade Empire fixed things a little, but to be honest I found the game's numerical foundations jarring. Action games and a reliance on stats don't mix, in my opinion.

Still, I liked some of both games' ideas, although if I see another 'morality' meter it'll be too soon.

I found Fable was what KOTOR should have been - any stats were behind the scenes, really, and the battles were all-out action. I agree it was trying to be action and turn based together, and failing dismally. The way I see it, they should have either given us total lightsabre control, or made it totally FF-styled.

I mean, I really LOVED Fable. It was the best Western RPG I've ever played, but that's partly because it felt like I was almost playing a Zelda title with the RPG elements I wanted Zelda to have. The good/evil thing was fun, and the locations were far more beautiful than KOTOR's dull browns and greys ever managed.

KOTOR was awesome. imo the battle system is pretty good as its real stratergy mixed wiith a far, far better and satisfying than the 'i hit you, you hit me' crap that has plagued ff games and their ilk since their conception. god i hate that type of combat so hard.

Sign in to follow this