NEurope
darksnowman

Poll: Top 50 GC Games

The best games I played on GCN was:

1) Luigi´s Mansion. Not quite like a Mario game at launch, but still quite innovative and fun to play.

2) Metroid Prime 1. The first 3D Metroid game was also the best which to this day has not been surpassed in terms of overall balance between what it gave in sheer beauty, excitement, skill requirement across the board and what it came up with as a reward. Simply spectacular. Awesome worlds to explore and fight in with so many things to see and do, manageable bosses and a great background story. What else could any gamer ask for? In my opinion, this game had more massmarket appeal than any other Metroid game since.

3) Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. The follow-up to the first true 3D Sonic game. Better gameplay, better camera (in my opinion at least). A definite improval over SA1.

4) Resident Evil 4. The first true 3D Resident Evil game. No horror title I had played until then, or even to this day, beats RE4. It will be interesting to see if RE5 will surpass it in terms of fun and excitement.

5) Legend of Zelda: Master Quest. This game was an improved re-release of OOT, and in my view just served to confirm that the original OOT was a massive hit with the masses which wouldn´t die. And I hope it also never will, since no Zelda game since has surpassed it nor will until Nintendo makes something as good as that with: as detailed a world, as great and totally involving a story, as great a soundtrack, as great a gameplay, as great a...feeling of being part of something so awesome it seemed otherworldly. Many great game-elements fused into one through hard, dedicated world on the part of Nintendo´s developer teams then.

TP was a step in the right direction, and had many of the things from OOT in it, but it wasn´t complete. Something which I have already discussed with people many times here and there. And most I talked with agree. The world in TP lacked it terms of animated NPC´s and things to see (outside the major areas) making travelling through Hyrule country dull after a while. Something which again only serves to prove how much time it requires to make a game as great as OOT. I sincirely hope Nintendo hasn´t forgotten how to make such a game. For it was a true fairytale realized in interactive 3D fashion for the first time on a game console.

6) Legend of Zelda: Majora´s Mask. A worthy sequel which saw Link travelling into another dimension and back. It was great, proving how much work they had - again - put into a Zelda title. But not as great as OOT.

The best games I played on GCN was:

6) Legend of Zelda: Majora´s Mask. A worthy sequel which saw Link travelling into another dimension and back. It was great, proving how much work they had - again - put into a Zelda title. But not as great as OOT.

Hmmm...

A little strange that the 6th best GC-game was a shabby(the audio had bugs) port of an N64 game. Personally I'd say that the second best Zelda after OOT is Twilight Princess. I replayed OOT like 7 times, while I didn't even stand finishing MM once. Sure, some of the stuff in the game should be reused, like NPC's doing different stuff depending on the time of the day/week, but most of the game was bland.

Originally posted by darkjak:

Hmmm...

A little strange that the 6th best GC-game was a shabby(the audio had bugs) port of an N64 game. Personally I'd say that the second best Zelda after OOT is Twilight Princess. I replayed OOT like 7 times, while I didn't even stand finishing MM once. Sure, some of the stuff in the game should be reused, like NPC's doing different stuff depending on the time of the day/week, but most of the game was bland.

I agree that the best game in the Zelda-series after OOT, is TP. I was initially merely listing the 6 best games on GCN as I thought it then.

Did you mean that it was MM, or TP, that was bland? I am asking because I really think that many of the countryside areas of TP were bland.

RE:

but most of the game was bland.

Oh, don't even go there!

You simply don't 'get' the game yet. MM is definitely the least accessible Zelda, I agree there. It took me a few tries before I 'got' it but when you do... well, you'll realise calling it bland is practically a crime. It's probably the most alive and realised world seen in a Zelda game. Go back and give it another go, pleaaase!

Majora's Mask is probably the best Zelda game imo. It was a hell of a lot more interesting than the usual 'find three items, plot point then find find 5/6 more items' that Zelda has been doing for an eternity now. Termina also had a lot more character than Hyrule. Because, well, it had more characters. They weren't just generic NPC's that only had one thing to say, a lot of them had interesting and engrossing back stories.

Then again, what do I know? I thought Wind Waker was better than OOT and TP was the second worst Zelda after Zelda 2. :p

Guess, keep this as voting your top 10 games, not discussing Zelda.

OOT is the best Zelda game :heh: Though I liked how hard MM was. Loved TP and WW...

Ahem...

I agree that the best game in the Zelda-series after OOT, is TP. I was initially merely listing the 6 best games on GCN as I thought it then.

Did you mean that it was MM, or TP, that was bland? I am asking because I really think that many of the countryside areas of TP were bland.

I can agree that the TP surroundings didn't have the same magic to it as OOT. What I meant by bland was basically that in MM there just wasn't the urge to finish the game. I've played the c**p out of TP (60+ hours on my gamefile), and the only thing stoping that number from rising is that my Wii is 250 kilometres away.

But my point is that Majoras Mask on the Zelda Collectors Edition disc had bugs, taking away every last bit of my urge to re-complete the game. Plus that MM wasn't a GC game to start of with.

Agree with Bananagrabber 100%. Majora's Mask is my favourite Zelda game, its dark, it's innovative and it's fucking intense. I'd say it's my second favourite game of all time, second only to Shenmue - and only by a small margin.

Sure Ocarina is great, as is TP, but TP was definately complete fan-service. There for people who play games for the action and the story rather than for a full, interactive artful experience. Majora's Mask is still ahead of its time, it's a huge leap forward for the argument that games are their own defined art form.

I'm curious, how was there no urge to finish Majora's Mask? You have to save an entire world from destruction!

Oh yeah, Gamecube games. :p

10. Resident Evil 4

I don't think I have anything that hasn't been said better by it's millions of raving fans.

9. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

A funny pick up and play game. Not the deepest RPG ever made, but it isn't trying to be. I was smiling constantly throughout. Shame about Super Paper Mario. :p

8. Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Yes, it's a Dreamcast port. But it's definitely the most engrossing and enjoyable game in the Resi series. Some genuine scary moments too.

7. Zelda: Wind Waker

Second best Zelda after Majora's Mask. WW did what a lot of Zelda's couldn't. Make me give a crap about the characters and the land I'm supposed to be saving. Link had so much character despite never saying a word, it's amazing. One of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

6. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Better than the original, I don't care what anyone says.

5. Pikmin 2

Better than the original in every single way. It's the only RTS I don't find horribly monotonous and boring. Just plain fun.

4. Ikaruga

One of the best SHUMP's ever made. Almost up there with the best of CAVE. Addictive, awe inspiring and a little bit difficult.

3. Killer 7

Interesting and utterly weird comment on the relationship between East and West. It made me think about the plot for ages and read an entire book about it. If a game stays in your mind years after release, it's good.

2. Skies of Arcadia

Yes, another Dreamcast port. But what a game! I've never loved a cast of characters like I have the Blue Rogues. The battle system is old hat and random battles occur far too often (Although thankfully not half as much as the DC version) but when you genuinely care for the characters and the world they live in, it doesn't matter.

1. Metroid Prime

Absolutely perfectly designed in every way. Easily one of the greatest adventure games ever made. The sense of isolation on this bizzare alien world has yet to be topped.

Honorable mentions: Super Monkey Ball, Smash Bros. Melee, Timesplitters 2, Fire Emblem, Viewtiful Joe and Eternal Darkness are all excellent.

10) Rogue Sqadron 2

9)Sonic Adventure DX

8)Timesplitters Future Perfect

7)Timesplitters 2

6)Sonic Adverture 2 Battle

5)The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

4) Twilight Princess

3) Super Mario Sunshine

2) Mariot Kart Double Dash

1) Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Needed to get round to this before it closes so here goes

1. Tales of Symphonia - not negotiable

2. Resi 4

3. F-zero GX

4. Soul calibur 2

5. Metroid Prime.

6. Baten Kaitos

7. Smash bros melee

8. Star wars Rogue squadron series

9. Viewtiful Joe

10. Super Mario Sunshine

I know I already posted my list, but I noticed SoA and Fire Emblem weren't correctly positioned. Here's the updated list:

10-WWE: Day of Reckoning

9-Pikmin

8-Soul Calibur II

7-F-Zero GX

6-Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

5-Skies of Arcadia Legends

4-Tales of Symphonia

3-Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

2-Metroid Prime

1-Super Smash Bros. Melee

Sorry 'bout that.

10: Pikmin 2

9: Timesplitters 2

8: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

7: Metroid Prime

6: F-Zero GX

5: Super Smash Brothers Melee

4: Tales Of Symphonia

3: The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess

2: Resident Evil 4

1: Metal Arms: Glitch In The System

Metal Arms wouldn't be my no.1 but it's in my top 10. I want to see it placed high in the top 50. It was a great game, totally unexpected from a small developer that is sadly no longer around.

There were alot of great games to choose from and it's hard leaving out games like Viewtiful Joe, Prince Of Persia, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Killer 7, Ikaruga, Beyond Good & Evil and others.

Yeah I loved metal arms. Would have been better on cube if the online functions that are blatantly there were useable. Or if you could play multiplayer against bots but overall it can be quite fun. Shame hardly anyone brought it.

1. Melee

2. Metroid Prime

3. Path of Radiance

4. Wind Waker

5.Tales of Symphonia

6. Rogue Squadron 2

7. TimeSplitters FP

Can't think of anymore :(

Couple people seem to have forgotten Melee :heh:

Time for H-o-Ts Top 10!

*insert Top of the Pops music*

10. Metroid Prime

I have never been a fan of the Metroid games I mean they are essentially just like Zelda in that you find an item which opens up another area but the thing is with Metroid if you stop playing for even a week you forget where you have been or where you are going.

With this in mind I had to set quite a bit of time aside before I played it and I think it was about a year after release before I even started it and what I found was a truely magical single player experience.

To this day I still havent a clue what the story was about ( yes I did scan EVERYTHING) but it didnt matter as I was still pulled into the game. The game just had so much atmosphere to it and the soundtrack is one of the best on a Nintendo console that really did fit with the game.

9. Super Smash Bros Melee

Everything has already been said about this game that is worth saying but I will however explain why despite me LOVING the game its so low down on my list.

The thing is with Smash, for me, its a multiplayer game and thats it. I never really enjoyed the single player aspect of the game. Sure I got all the trophies and put some time into it but it just didnt click with me as a single player experience, much like Brawl hasnt.

8. Star Wars: Rogue Leader

A long time ago in a Gamecube far, far away....... This game blew me away when I got my Cube on launch day. I hadnt enjoyed a Star Wars game this much since the SUPER series on the SNES. The graphics were and to be fair still are amazing and it really felt like you were in the movies.

I remember when I finally got to the space battle above Endor from Return of the Jedi and the music that appears in that battle from the film kicked in. I cranked the volume up on my TV while hundreds of Tie Fighters swarmed me, I calmly looked at the screen and yelled "ITS A TRAP!"

before blasting the hell out of everything in sight. The Force was indeed strong with this one!

7. Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg

In a world where Mario was the platforming king Sega dared challenge him but not with a little blue hedgehog but rather a small boy in a chicken outfit. Take a bow Billy boy, take a bow.

This little platformer was fantastic and addictive. It had charm coming out of it left right and centre and while Sonic was struggling with getting to grips with the 3D world this little fella felt right at home there. Its a shame that there will probably never be a sequel especially as it had one of the most awesome theme tunes ever to be in a videogame. Everybody....LA LA LALALA LA LA LALALA LA LA LA LA...DO DO DODO. MAGIC!

6. Phantasy Star Online

Another Sega title on my list and another gem. How can I rate this higher than Smash when its essentially a mulitplayer title devoid of any real single player gaming you ask? I answer....because its my list and I can do whatever the hell I want :)

Seriously though I loved playing this in single player just as much as playing it in multiplayer. I never played it online on the Cube just local 4 player and raising my character in single player mode and then taking it back to multiplayer when my friends came around was great.

We always had a little friendly competition to see who could get the best equipment and level up the furthest before we met up again. I think at one point I spent like 12 hours just doing EXP runs and hoping that I would get to see one of the monsters drop a little Red Box with a B.A weapon inside. Happy times indeed Sega, now just what the hell happened with PSU, eh?

5. Megaman X Collection

I wasnt sure if imports were allowed into the list but I thought I would put this in anyway seeing as I love the Blue Bomber to bits.

This little gem of a title sadly never got released over here in Europe. It featured the Megaman X 1-6 all of which are awesome....ok maybe not 5-6 but the others are great.

Getting to play the 1st and 2nd games were a real treat for me as it brought back memories of me playing them on the SNES when I was a kid and seeing Megaman and Zero fighting side by side in 2D again brought a tear to my eye. This was old skool, 2D platforming at its best, with great enemies, a wicked soundtrack and a difficulty that would make you pull your hair out ( could explain me balding ) Capcom I salute you.

4. Resident Evil 4

A once Gamecube exclusive ( thanks Capcom * changes salute into 1 fingered motion* ) this reinvention of the R Evil series was simply amazing.

Being a huge fan like many on these boards I bought this on release day. I was on 2-10 shift and nipped up on my break to pick up my new Resident Evil L.E Gamecube. Yes I already has a Cube but this one had R Evil 4 wrote on the top.

Once I got home from work at 10 I played til 5 in the morning the game was just that good. After getting some sleep I awoke and got straight back into the action finishing the game around 6 at night. I was quite upset that I had blasted my way through it but a nice little suprise was awaiting me in the form of Mercenaries Mode!!

This has got to be one of the most addicting mini-games/unlockables in any game EVER! It was just so satisfying to run around various levels blowing the hell out of people/Zombies/Things. Hordes and hordes of enemies would just keep coming at you and just when you thought you were safe a chainsaw would slice your head clean off and you would lose that high score you were racking up. Retry? HELL YEAH!

3. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Whats this? Zelda not number 1 in HoTs chart! Indeed.

This is the game which split the Zelda fans in 2. On one side you had the people who thought the game should have been realistic and the cartoony graphics would kill the franchise off. On the other the fans who embraced this new vision of Zelda and found a great adventure. I was one of 2nd group :)

I an industry that focused on realistic graphics and dark and moody games Nintendo shoved this in their faces and got their attention. The characters of Zelda were brought to life with cel shading and nothing was more charming. Seeing Links emotions as he scurred along fighting badguys and flying around on a leaf was simply fantastic. I even enjoyed the Triforce hunt that so many people despised. Nothing was better than just setting sail and listening to the Overworld music kick in as you rode the waves.

Nintendo delivered the goods and once again made every grown man want to wear a green tunic and a white pair of tights.....or was that just me?

2. Chibi Robo

Whats this game you ask? Seriously, if you are asking that get of the boards...go on im serious!

This has to be one of the most overlooked titles on the Cube. Partly because it came pretty late into the Cubes life and partly because everyone was playing on their PS2s.

A game about a cute little robot doingv housework doesnt exactly scream BUY ME! So why should all of you invest in this gem? Well it had a charm that no other game has managed to emulate ( IMO ) and as you progress throughout the game you actually start to care for the little robot, and the crazy little girl who dresses and talks like a frog...seriously.

The graphics werent top drawer but the game was colourful and a joy to play. Also the sound effects and music were used amazingly well. Your little robot would scurry across the floor while his footsteps made sounds which went in time with the background music. Sounds pants I know but it really was adorable.

Just one question remains though, were the hell is Chibi Robo DS, NOE!?

1. Skies of Arcadia: Legends

Here it is, the game of all games on the Cube, a masterpiece. a legendary game. Crazy how its just a port of a Dreamcast game, right?

Yeah sure it came out on the Dreamcast first but this had extras all over the place in this version. It has som of the most memorable charcters not just in an RPG but in any game with a cliche but thrilling story to go along with them, it had everything that I wanted in an RPG. Random battles, great storyline, lovable characters, great sidequests, awesome music and amazing special moves and gave it the complete package.

A big draw to this game for me was the ship to ship battles. Basically it was just like a normal battle with a random enemy but you controlled a MASSIVE airship and fought another ship, over even a giant purple whale! Alot of people didnt really care for these are they were time consuming but there were fun for me and there was alot of strategy involved.

Another thing which added to the ship battles and sidequests was the crew recruting. You had the oppertunity to go around the world and hire help or your ship. Depending on who you hired and who you used effected what certain stats on your ship. Getting all the crew members and powering up your spirit gauge meant you could unleash a super attack on your enemies.

Once again another great sidequest that took ages to do but was a nice distraction if you wanted to venture off from the main storyline and this was Discovery sidequest. Certain things were hidden around the world as you travelled around your ship. Some you could see others you couldnt and others were on the move all the time. When you got near one your compass would go nuts and you would start hammering the button hoping that you would find the thing.

Bottomline is that I LOVE this game to bits and to this day I always get excited when I hear rumours of a sequel being made even though I get shotdown everytime. Get one made Sega or you will be feeling my Pirates Wrath!

Well thats my list and if there are any spelling/paragraph mistakes, which there are bound to be, then im sorry but I was on nightshift last night and I have not been to bed yet.

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

2. Super Smash Bros. Melee

3. Super Mario Sunshine

4. Donkey Konga

5. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

6. Wario World

7. The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition

8. Resident Evil 4

9. Soul Calibur II

10. The Simpsons: Hit and Run (don't laugh)

So the Tales of Symphomia adoring by Frankin and myself has had no effect on you? :(

I made a point of searching for it when I went into town, but to no avail.

This list proves what a great console the Cube was.

1. Metroid Prime

Greatest game on the Cube. Level Design, atmosphere, controls, difficulty, sound, and graphics. Pure excellence. My 2nd highest rated game ever only behind OOT.

2. Super Smash Bros. Melee

So much fun, so much fan fare.

3. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

My first taste of the series. The battles were excellent fun and perfectly balanced. Great story and characters. Lovely music.

4. Tales of Symphonia

My favourite RPG ever. Awesome characters, epic story, fantastic realtime battles, great score and voice acting.

5. Baiten Kaitos

Similar to Tales of symphonia in terms of positives. My 2nd favourite RPG ever.

6. F-Zero GX

7. Resident Evil

8. Resident Evil 4

9. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes

10. Wind Waker

Just missed the cut:

Viewtiful Joe, Pikmin 2, RE: Zero, Eternal Darkness, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, Soul Calibur 2

I made a point of searching for it when I went into town, but to no avail.

I see it all the time for £17.99 :heh:

I see it all the time for £17.99 :heh:

Send it to me, and you get to keep your job.

I would buy it and send it to you myself but the only time i've seen it was when I bought it.

It really is a great game though.