NEurope
Dante

2,000 Gatecrashers Trashes A Birthday Party

Bill Brooks thought he had planned for all contingencies when he organised a fancy dress disco for his stepdaughter's 18th birthday party.

He hired four bouncers to protect their Grade II listed Georgian mansion in Devon and limited the number of guests to 100. He even made sure there would be four other adults, including himself, present at all times to keep an eye on Friday night's festivities. But the 75-year-old Brooks had not counted on the party's details ending up on the internet, with an anonymous encouragement to strangers to gatecrash the event and cause as much damage as possible.

'We had no chance at all. There were thousands of people here and they have absolutely wrecked the place,' Brooks said yesterday as he and his family began clearing up the devastation. 'They smashed windows and mirrors, they were deliberately out to get us. One chap was even caught removing the door from the refrigerator.' By 7pm, all the invited guests had arrived in their fancy dress and were peacefully enjoying the party. An hour later, however, more than 2,000 drunken young people had turned up, overpowering not only the bouncers but the 20 police who came with their dogs soon afterwards, alerted by alarmed neighbours.

'I don't know where they all came from, quite a wide area I suspect,' Brooks said. 'They were all about 18 years old, like my stepdaughter, Sarah, but they were definitely not invited. You could tell because they weren't wearing fancy dress. We had hidden and locked away some valuables, but we did not know the lengths they would go to. They stole things and caused thousands of pounds' worth of damage.

'They even smashed an old family portrait photograph. We locked all the bedrooms, but they got into some of them. They smashed up the bar and jumped up and down on tables until they broke,' he added.

'We have travelled a lot and we have various mementos from abroad and they broke those too.

'Sarah was terrified and was in tears. I got very hot under the collar and was shouting and swearing. I think I was the bravest of them all. They were scared of me; the police were scared of me too. Perhaps I was rather foolish, but I was protecting my home.'

It took police four hours to persuade all the intruders to leave Colehayes Park, a field studies centre on the edge of Dartmoor used by universities and schools. 'Every time we thought they had been shut out, they would find another way to get back in again,' said Brooks. 'I saw people trying to break our windows so they could climb back in.' Even when police ejected the intruders for the final time, the horde continued their rampage in the nearby town of Bovey Tracy.

'Our grounds are full of bottles and cartons. I haven't even looked in some rooms yet,' said Brooks yesterday. 'These people are probably quite decent usually, but they get some drink inside them. It is the devil drink.'

Sarah's party is only the latest to be gatecrashed by intruders out to cause devastation after details of the event are posted on the internet. David Worthy and his son, Stephen, had to be airlifted from their home with a broken nose and spinal injuries after details of his youngest son's 16th birthday party were posted on the internet last October.

BBC News says it was cause by a "shout out" on Pete Tong's BBC Radio 1 programme.

What the hell has happened to Britain? :shakehead

What do you mean what has happened to Britain? Where have you been for the past ten years?

What a fucking mess. A 75 year old with an 18 year old step daughter?! Unbelievable.

Jokes aside, it is quite a mess. I'll admit, I've been to a similar sort of party once, one where there's so many people there who clearly weren't properly invited(tbh, I wasn't properly invited) and the poor girl's house got trashed, but I was one of the few trying to get some order to things and not fuck up a house. I don't understand how people can honestly have such little respect for other people's property. Despite that though, it's possibly one of the most memorable nights of my life. Every room you went into, people were smoking weed, soooo much weed. Luckily however, there was only maybe 50-60 people(probably less) people at this one, and some of us managed to get it all calmed down and everyone out by the end of it. I don't see that happening when you've got 2,000 people crashing a party though. Then there's mob/group mentality to consider, people do shit just cos everyone else, or cos of shared responsibility and whatnot.

If I knew though, would I go? Yes, under certain circumstances I would(if i was still 16 like). Would it make me a bad person, if I went with a ton of people but didn't break everything? I think I would, cos there's a certain atmostphere to it that's pretty awesome.

Oh man that is pretty crazy. Every time I think society has reached a new low-point it proves me wrong yet again: that there's even lower.

Well, teaches two things: have a tank in the garage and replace the fire extinguisher with a flamethrower. :D

The gatecrashers were just lucky that Mr. Brooks doesn't own any guns.

This is in the UK, that's very unlikely...

Not that unlikely, most of this country's guns are in the countryside. This guy is old, well off and has a big house. What odds would you give on someone of that description hunting for sport? From personal experience i'd say 1 in 10, if not better.

Because they'd have put him out of his misery if had? ;)

Obviously someone that was invited could not of really liked the person coz obviously someone posted the details on the internet.

Unless of course Mr Brooks fancied re-decorating and decided to let the youths start it off for him?...

Not that unlikely, most of this country's guns are in the countryside. This guy is old, well off and has a big house. What odds would you give on someone of that description hunting for sport? From personal experience i'd say 1 in 10, if not better.

I would say its more likely he does that doesn't, for the reasons McPhee said. My had one until a few years ago (never used it and it was a hassle to keep having to register it), my 2 uncles both have one, my grandpa had one and my step-Grandpa who is really well off and has a massive house has about 3.

This is disgusting! I mean, what was the point of them doing that... seriously?!

What the hell has happened to Britain? :shakehead

Seconded, there's too much shit going on in this country these days. Infact, fuck it, I hate this country. I'm getting the hell out of here the first chance I get.

beastie boys - you got to fight for your right to party

wish i was there sounds like a right laugh lol

Note to family: don't make it a shout-out.

How many times do people have to learn that by shouting out on myspace/the radio whatever, you will get uninvited visitors.

Lol, that's awesome. Most of them seem to be in fancy dress too. Wish I was there.

I LOL'd. :)

Me too.

About the gun thing: I forgot how strictly controlled guns were in the UK. But I didn't say he probably had a gun I said what if he did.

housepartyAPEX1603_468x664.jpg

You think she would be at least wearing gloves or something...

But on topic, damn that would've been one helluva a party to be at!