NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
DanielTimothy

Help Please

I opened up a word document I got from an email, I chose just to open it rather than save it. It happened to be notes on an essay I sent to myself, I wrote the essay using the notes all on the one document. I was pressing save along the way ofcourse to be safe. After about 4 hours work, I saved, then closed the document and word didn't promp me not to. Now to my horror I can't find it on my P.C anywhere, is there any way I can get it back?

I'm in such a bad place right now . . .

It will be in a temporary file somewhere. Don't turn your computer off. Have you used the search function? Opened up Word and gone to recent documents?

Try sending an email to yourself again with a different word document. Open it up again from the email, then choose "save as" and see where all your email/temp docs live. Hopefully it'll be there. Then in the save as dialog you can copy your wanted file to somewhere nice that you know about (don't save over it with your new one obviously.)

You're not in Vista, are you? I only ask cos I find Vista's search function supersucky.

Anyway, if you're not, go to start->search. Then you should be able to select more advanced search options in the sidebar that appears, look for a 'date modified option' and set it to between a day before the day you edited it, and a day after. Then in the search box just type *.doc, and it should return all modified word documents on your computer between those dates. Mr.Odwin's way should work fine too, though you just gotta make sure you don't accidentally save over your file(speaking of which, isn't it in Word's recent files, at the bottom of the File menu?).

Same thing happened to me a few years back. It resulted in me handing in a half finished report.

Sign in to follow this