NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Britprog

Mark Rein talks about Revolution again!

I found this interview on the Eurogamer website.

So it's a no to handhelds, and a yes to PS3... But (deep breath) is there any chance of Epic ever making a Nintendo game? After all, at an IGN event recently Rein did suggest that the Revolution controller would inspire developers to produce "gimmicky, crappy, cheap, I-wish-I-hadn't-bought-it games"...

"I actually said Nintendo's going to make amazing games. I never really passed a judgement on the controller itself. I think the controller's cool!" Mark says.

"I wasn't bashing Nintendo, I wasn't bashing the controller, I was really just saying that a byproduct of having a device like this is that people are going to make games that possibly are just there because of the controller, as opposed to being great games of themselves, and I said it badly... I regret that."

There will be plenty of great titles that make use of the controller, too, Rein adds. "Nintendo and some of the best third parties are going to make amazing games for it."

We mention a recent interview Eurogamer did with Nintendo's Jim Merrick, where we asked him what he thought of Rein's comments.

"You know, I read your article and I called him up right afterward," Rein says. "We had a long, very good chat."

So he wasn't, shall we say, a bit cross? "Didn't seem to be!"

And what about Merrick's suggestion that Rein get a Revolution dev kit for himself so he can see exactly what the machine can do?

"I told him we've absolutely love to take him up on that."

That doesn't mean Epic has signed up to develop for Revolution, but it's certainly something worth looking into, says Rein.

"I think Unreal Engine 3 and Nintendo Revolution would be very well suited to each other.

"We don't know right now what the machine's capable of or not capable of, and we've built Unreal Engine 3 to a certain specification. If the machine can run the engine, it'd be fantastic to have it on there."

Sounds like we must have misunderstood him last time round!!!

Click here if you want to read the whole interview.

I reckon Mark Rein was tipped off by Microsoft. There's no way any established games developer would talk like that without the influence of money. Or maybe he was drunk or under the influence of drugs. Who knows. This does sound like a bit of a suck up though. At least Epic are likely to get a development kit, and hopefully run Unreal Engine 3 on the Rev.

Sounds like we must have misunderstood him last time round!!!

Or more like he's seen some sense and just wants to pretend he's always loved the controller.

I think Merrick threatened him with violence!

All hail Merrick!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahaahahahahahahahahah. Its funny cause its probaly true. hahahha

Or Miyamoto wanted to test his skills with his link accessories from E3 2004, just for preparation for Zelda revolution.

Its the fact on how deep his criticism was when he said it, it was deep you can tell. But, why would he change his mind? Maybe they have a winning forumla for a revolution game? If he hasnt, he can burn with that speach he just gave us.

He likely could have been drunk as someone said, he kept fumbling around with his bag, and even Matt said he had a hangover

What an hypocritical, smart bastard. Now he has what he was looking for, a chance to make the engine avaible for the revo too.

Reggie threatened to take his name, thats why he said this. Seriously, it was a case of mis quoting it seems and he's kind of right. Lots of companies will make simplistic games with little production values, but I dont see that as a bad thing though.

What is this guy all about? Reading that made me laugh, he is so pathetic. In the IGN interview thing he was very explicit when it came to slagging off Nintendo, the Revolution and praising the very powerful technology which is basically useless. I say useless because for the PS3, Sony have increased the amount of frames per second to an amount that we humans aren't able to pick up.

Its like having a 32 bit depth even though we humans can only see a difference between true colour. Stupid, pointless, waste of moneh.

What he says is correct, we will see a nice pile of toxic gaming waste coming out with all the games that are using what they have correctly. I'm sure the DS has already had some as a result of it's gimmick worthy controls.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying the DS is a gimmick etc.

One minute the Xbox 360 controller is the best thing the world has ever seen and the Revolution controller is "gimmicky, crappy, cheap". The next mintue the Revolution controller isnt "gimmicky, crappy, cheap" but "cool"

What a hypocritical arsehole!

Next time he should actualy try things out before he desides its crap!

What he says is correct, we will see a nice pile of toxic gaming waste coming out with all the games that are using what they have correctly.

Ok we are going to see a loada crap games that are made just for the controller but you get a loada crap games this generation... as we will with every generation.. no matter what the controller is like

Ok we are going to see a loada crap games that are made just for the controller but you get a loada crap games this generation... as we will with every generation.. no matter what the controller is like

That's so true. The production of crap games on the DS should fade away over time. Developers just needed to see the possibilities, as Reggie said. As will be the same for revo.

There goes all his credibility. Either keep your opinion or shut up, but don't give us this BS.

to be fair to him, that is actually what he said

"make no mistake, nintendo will make awesome games"

he just said that the revolution wouldn't be immune from crappy games. look at the DS, and you know he's right. but I'm sure those games have an audience so fair play to even those games.

what I think he can't really excuse is his "under 10 percent of the audience own a gamecube" when it was under 10 percent owned a GC and only a GC. if he'd done the same selection process for PS2/XBX owners he'd probably have gotten the same result , if not possibly worse, judging by the hands that went up.

he may well have had a long night, or been jet lagged, he definitely didn't look on the ball. Its hard to judge, if I see him in another interview and he looks and acts the same I'd be happy to assume he's just naturally an idiot, if he seems smart and on the ball, I'll assume he was having a bad day!

Hes right about there being crappy games based on the controller but he should also have admitted that "you're gonna see so many unoriginal me-too shooters using the Unreal 3 engine''

Jeez, take off your nintendo tinted glasses, his words could have easily been taking out of context, it happens all the time.

Funny how some people seem to enjoy calling people nintendo fanboys when those "fanboys" are in the right about his behaviour at that IGN conference.

Sign in to follow this